M10R filename Numbering

Rob L

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So my new M10R just jumped from image XXXX0003 to XXXX1333 out of the blue. I've had it for a few days, so the internal battery should be charged.  I assume these file names are stored in memory like date, time etc. Any thoughts on why the file numbering would jump ahead like that. I did change the battery right before this occurred but the battery that I removed still had a 25% charge. This happened on one of my M10s early on in 2017 and I assumed at the time that I ran the battery down too far, but that was not the case today.

16 hours ago, Rob L said:

I took three shots, then changed the battery and it jumped from 0003 to 1333!

No idea why, but it strikes me as likely that suchlike issues are most likely caused by whatever action you took immediately previously, i.e. changing batteries.

Camera not powered off before changing batteries, battery specific issue, low internal battery charge, some sort of dirty contact issue, odd voltage spike, freak event,  poltergeists in the CPU, who knows?

Others have posted about a different  SD card incompatibility with the M10R.  

How many times did it occur with your other M10?  Ever again?

My suggestion is reset the camera and press on.  If it occurs again send it back if you purchased with a good return policy, if not it will probably have to go to Leica.

Edited by Good To Be Retired

It may be irrelevant in this case, but it is the case that inserting an SD card previously used in another Leica camera (even for one exposure), can force the numbering to reset upwards (to avoid any chance of duplicate picture numbers/file names, and potential overwriting of older pictures with newer ones of the same file name,  in the computer).

E.G. inserting a card with an image number of Lxxxx1332 into another camera that has only Lxxx0003 exposures, even briefly, will reset the numbering of any further pictures in the second camera to begin at Lxxx1333.

I carefully segregate my SD cards for Leica use so that I can't accidentally put one from camera A into (newer, less used) camera B. E.G. I use 16GB cards in one M10 and 8GB cards in the other - just as a reminder which goes into which. And if I want to shoot a 'test' shot with a camera in a store or otherwise, I use yet another SD card - not one of my regular M10 cards. To avoid "poisoning" or "cross-contaminating" the numbering sequence.

And when I chose to re-use cards from my M9s in the M10s - I carefully "wiped" them in a computer first, so there were no images or folder names to upset the factory-fresh M10 numbering sequence.

Edited by adan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, adan said:

It may be irrelevant in this case, but it is the case that inserting an SD card previously used in another Leica camera (even for one exposure), can force the numbering to reset upwards (to avoid any chance of duplicate picture numbers/file names, and potential overwriting of older pictures with newer ones of the same file name,  in the computer).

E.G. inserting a card with an image number of Lxxxx1332 into another camera that has only Lxxx0003 exposures, even briefly, will reset the numbering of any further pictures in the second camera to begin at Lxxx1333.

I carefully segregate my SD cards for Leica use so that I can't accidentally put one from camera A into (newer, less used) camera B. E.G. I use 16GB cards in one M10 and 8GB cards in the other - just as a reminder which goes into which. And if I want to shoot a 'test' shot with a camera in a store or otherwise, I use yet another SD card - not one of my regular M10 cards. To avoid "poisoning" or "cross-contaminating" the numbering sequence.

And when I chose to re-use cards from my M9s in the M10s - I carefully "wiped" them in a computer first, so there were no images or folder names to upset the factory-fresh M10 numbering sequence.

Now that is interesting.  I was under the impression you had purposely perform other steps to make this happen.  Good to know, thanx.

Well, yes, on re-reading my previous post, probably one has to a either take a picture, or format the card in the camera, to end up with a number jump. But I'm not sure of that - even reviewing the pictures (and their numbers) on the card may be enough.