Connecting Q2 to a laptop via Wifi

Shanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know of a way to connect the Q2 to a laptop via wifi? It seems like a big oversight not to be able to transfer photos from my Q2 to my phone but not my machine.

I work in Lightroom for post and would love to save time and steps.

Thanks all in advance.

Edited by Shanks

Thanks. For sure card reader is a no brainer, but there are situations (ie working with a tripod in a studio) where it would be nice to pull images directly from the camera. All the hardware is in place, and its frustrating knowing my iPhone can both wake the camera sitting on the shelf and pull images from it but my MacBook Pro can't. I guess what I'm hearing is that the functionality I'm looking for does not exist from Leica, was curious to see if anyone has developed workarounds...

Just try if the new M1 Macs can run properly iPad version of Fotos ? 
If yes you will get wireless transfer and remote control with your Mac. 

BTW : Apple just make all PC irrelevant for productivity works. Mac vs PC fight is already over. Apple wins.  Just keep buying PC for video games only. 

BTW2 : Apple just make every intel Macs obsolete too. Yes even 6K$ Mac Pro can be beaten in some tests by 699$ Mac mini. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Shanks:

Does anyone know of a way to connect the Q2 to a laptop via wifi?

Windows 10

I can connect the Q2 by bluetooth but camera don't show up as a device and not as external memory or disk in File Explorer.

As far i undestood till now after conducting some experiments it seems to me that:
Bluetooth has only 2 functions; 1° to wake up the camera and negotiate the WiFi connection and 2° to transmit the GPS coordinates and date/time
WiFi has the functions limited to FOTOS to download the photos and remote control the camera

I fear that as long Leica dont deliver a Mac or Windows Leica PHOTOS App (or a very smart hacker do a hack to allow to use the WiFi connection)
there will be no solution to download the photos directly from the camera to either a Mac or PC.

I have to admit that unscrewing the grip or tripod mount every time to extract the card is odd, particularly as the camera has bluetooth AND WiFi.
However, Bluetooth would be painful slow to transmit the 48mp DMG files, WiFi would be the solution.

Maybe a complain or better new function request at Leica would convince them to produce/have produced a Mac and a Windows version of leica FOTOS.

Chris

• Like 1

The Q series of cameras is not a good fit for studio tethered photography. Much better and faster using an HDMI or USB-C connection such as on my Canon R5. I assume the SL2 and S series Leica cameras are much better for this. 
A card reader is the best option for a Q/Q2/Q2M. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

I have to admit that unscrewing the grip or tripod mount every time to extract the card is odd, particularly as the camera has bluetooth AND WiFi.
However, Bluetooth would be painful slow to transmit the 48mp DMG files, WiFi would be the solution.

Maybe a complain or better new function request at Leica would convince them to produce/have produced a Mac and a Windows version of leica FOTOS.

Good insights. Thanks Chris. I put in a feature request to Leica. Perhaps if more of us do it will help. Overall Leica are good at listening and responding to their customers.

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 4:12 PM, PhotoCruiser said:

Wifi is also painfully slow for Q2 files. I tested and it took the same amount of time to transfer 1 DNG via Wifi, and 15 DNGs via an SD card reader (including taking the card out, fiddling with the adapter, plugging it it) 😆 

The Q series has some new fancy features but the storage solution is very old fashioned, btw; the battery charging as well...

1° Insert Battery
2° insert sd-card
3° screw-on grip or tripod plate
4° shoot
5° unscrew grip/tripod plate
6° open lid and expell sd-card
7° unlock battery and extract battery
8° put battery in charger
9° insert sd-disk in card reader

that are a lot of uneccesary steps and mechnical wear, thetering is only possible thru FOTOS what leaves the photos an android/ios device and must transferred again to PC/Mac.

The advantage is that waterproofing is certainly better as the covers for usb port and battery charging port are missing.

However, i have to admit that i have to do the same with my D800 as camera USB is painful slow and battery need a external charger as well,
so on the wend i need to take the same steps in my D800 and the Q2, well excluding unscreing the grip/tripod plate
On the end not a big issue and maybe Leicas vision of slow photography

Chris

• 3 months later...

The app Fotos was designed to work on Andoiid and IOS environments(read phone and tablets) - actual computer software is a different beast.

Best solution for the Qs is not using a grip or case that does not allow access to card and battery.

Yeah,, I would call it a flaw, undersight too  and truth is, would not have changed the Q design that much allowing to have at leas one  usb type port...

On 11/22/2020 at 9:27 AM, Shanks said:

Good insights. Thanks Chris. I put in a feature request to Leica. Perhaps if more of us do it will help. Overall Leica are good at listening and responding to their customers.

If you're as new to Leica as you are to this forum, let me give you a bad news. Leica will not grant your request. They probably will never answer you either. As a matter of fact, they might not even read your request 😂

Welcome to Leica: the most beautiful girl is often the most hard to get. 

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

Wouldn’t a WiFi SD card work for image transfer? 

it should...

https://nerdtechy.com/best-wifi-sd-card

USH-II (recommended), USH-I, SD cards up to 2GB / SDHC cards up to 32GB / SDXC cards up to 512GB (Q2M manual page 160)

the current wifi-cards available are old technology and might not work for use just as aa SD card alone in the Q2/Q2M...

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I pull out the memory card and put it into my small Leica V 114 or any other camera or card reader and voila. That's the only way to make it work for now. It is annoying, yet also kind of exciting that in the 21st century not everything automatically works by pressing a button. At least I am getting a nostalgic and cult feeling from that, be it only for pure survival.