which tripod do you use with your M10

Infantasy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Why is it that there are so, so many Tripod brands and models across the market for many years now yet we can never find the right one? Every time someone asks about tripods on the forums I see even more "new" and old recommended models I never heard of. Amazing the market can support so many tripod models/brands/options  🤪

Because there are four main parameters that can be measured for a tripod, and we all want different combinations for our particular applications: stability, weight (for carrying), folded size (for travelling), height (for actual use), all of which can be mutually antagonistic. The combinations are endless.

(And that's before we add other features, like durability, serviceability, speed of erection, a hook for a weight, spikes, spirit level price etc.)

I have two tripods.

The first is a Leica table tripod. It's small enough to pack in my camera bag. It can be positioned against walls, trees, pretty much most surfaces to take stable shots.

The second is a Sirui T1205X . This is one of the smallest tripods in the range and is more than sufficient for me for the occasions I need a tripod.

Frankly, I hate unwanted weight and bulk when I travel.

When I know that I will use the tripod (Night- and Longtime exposure) I replace on my M10M the bottom cover with the RRS L-Plate and use one of my two tripods:

.) Gitzo GT1545T with the ArcaSwiss P0 head for travelling and low weight requirements

.) Gitzo GT2540LLVL with the RRS BH-40 head when I need leveling (for panos) and/or operating height.

Both are very sturdy, lightweight and both are equipted with the short spike and rubber foot. Up to now I am very happy with them and I don´t know what I could wish more from a tripod.

Edited by strohscw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/21/2020 at 8:50 PM, Infantasy said:

Hi all,

I recently looking for a tripod for travel. I wish to have a light weight but rigid one. I am 183cm tall. Have looked a Gitzo GT1545T, it is high enough for me but the new designed legs are thick and nearly same as their traditional series 2 though it is series 1. I looked their GT0545T as well but the tripod is not high enough and always need to rise up the center column.

Do you have any preference and what are you using? Thanks a lot.

Here is an 11 month old post that recommends various travel tripods for different needs. Also see the comments section where some are asking about taller tripods. A lot of good options to consider. 

In the comments and in response to someone asking about a light weight travel tripod recommendation for 185cm tall person"

"All of the brands that you have been recommended are good options.  Unfortunately, for a combination of your height and ensuring you have a good maximum load capacity, there are not a lot of tripods that will be lighter in weight compared to the MeFOTO tripod, which weighs approximately 3.7 lbs.  My favorite option would be the the FEISOL CT-3441S Travel Rapid Carbon Fiber Tripod with CB-40D Ball Head, B&H # FECT3441SB40, which is my favorite option, which weighs 3.1 lbs, has a maximum height of 73.6 inches, a folded length of 16.9 inches, and a maximum load capacity of 33 lbs.
A few other options I would recommend that would support the weight of your equipment, but which would be similar or lower in weight and should still be relatively tall enough for your height would be the Gitzo GK1542-82QD Mountaineer Series 1 Carbon Fiber Tripod with Center Ball Head, B&H # GIGK154282QD which weighs 2.8 lbs, has a maximum height of 62.6 inches, and a load capacity of 22 lbs, the Gitzo GT1545T Series 1 Traveler Carbon Fiber Tripod with Center Ball Head, B&H # GIGK1545TKT, which weighs 2.34 lbs, has a maximum height of 60.2 inches, and supports 22 lbs, the 3 Legged Thing Punks Brian Travel Tripod with Airhed Neo Ball Head (Carbon Fiber, Bronze/Blue), B&H # 3LBRIAN (my second favorite option for your height), which weighs 3.1 lbs, has a maximum height of 73.6 inches, a folded length of 16.14 inches, and supports 30.86 lbs.
For a more economical option, the Sirui W-1004K10 River Runner Tripod Kit,  B&H # SISUW1004K10, and the Manfrotto Element Carbon Fiber Big Traveler Tripod (Black), B&H # MAMKELEB5CF, would also be good options for your usage needs.  The Gitzo options would be the lightest option, the FEISOL and 3 Legged Think would be the tallest at its maximum height, and the Sirui and Manfrotto would be a decent blend of height, weight, folded length, and price. "

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/travel-tripods

After reviewing all your suggestions, I eventually get a Gitzo combo GK1545T-82TQD which is actually a GT1545T with its newest ballhead. Will go out to try this weekend. Thank you all of you.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Infantasy said:

After reviewing all your suggestions, I eventually get a Gitzo combo GK1545T-82TQD which is actually a GT1545T with its newest ballhead. Will go out to try this weekend. Thank you all of you.

This Gitzo will probably last for years and the tall Gitzo ball head plus camera will give some more height the kit too. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rick in CO said:

First I have heard of them. I have used Gitzos for many years, only owned two of them. They last a long time, never had to buy anything else. 

Leica Miami is starting to promote them in lieu of Gitzo.  David Farkas, the Miami store owner, is apparently working with their CEO on design feedback as they roll out the new line. He talks about it in some of the recent Red Dot Forum Camera Talk video episodes.  

I have no need or interest, but your forum name is a natural match.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

For 95% of my shooting, I don’t use a tripod. That said, I have been using Gitzo tripods for decades. With my Leica, I use the Gitzo 1550 Traveler carbon fiber tripod. However, a few months ago, I purchased the new PeakDesign carbon fiber. I have only used he PD tripod a few times, but I’m liking it so far.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Infantasy said:

Après avoir examiné toutes vos suggestions, j'obtiens finalement un combo Gitzo GK1545T-82TQD qui est en fait un GT1545T avec sa dernière rotule. Je vais essayer ce week-end. Merci à vous tous.

Top choice. For the M10 combo the 5 sections could fit as Gitzo legs are rigid enough and it would shorten a little the folded size. But not such an issue.

Greets!
Congrats Infantasy on your Gitzo kit... but what is that mounted on it?!

A few points, for perspective:
--Should you pick up a used M8 (seems a near meme these days), look out for RRS B30 plates (now discontinued): this model makes easily accessible the baseplate release. I've also used the RSS MC-L, again with older Ms, including M8.
--that the M2XX/M10X bodies' tripod mount is _in the body_, a quickly removable tripod plate is key... unless you've a compatible 128GB card... & battery life! Older bodies have the tripod mount in the baseplate.
--while no spokesperson for Peak Designs, I have a couple plates (PD named "Standard"& "Double") which may be removed with a smallish coin (no hex key required, yet a "smallish coin"? What's _that_?).  I carry these "coin operated" Peak Designs plates for my M10 when I must affix to a tripod as needed.
HTH, in uniton,
Dave

I use a big solid Manfrotto tripod. I also have a small travel Sirui tripod, but don’t find this offers enough stability, so I ‘compromise’ with something larger and more solid. 

I’d really like an L bracket for easy use, but can’t find one ‘cheap enough’ for my use. I don’t use the M10-P enough on a tripod to justify a large expense. 

20 hours ago, Gelatino said:

Top choice. For the M10 combo the 5 sections could fit as Gitzo legs are rigid enough and it would shorten a little the folded size. But not such an issue.

I had struggling between GT1555T and GT1545T before. Their prices are the same. Considering the GT1555T, 5 sections tripod, is lower than GT1545T by 10cm and 15cm without/with rise of centre column, the difference is significant to me as I have to stoop to look into the viewfinder. So I choose the longer one eventually.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DaveSee said:

Greets!
Congrats Infantasy on your Gitzo kit... but what is that mounted on it?!

A few points, for perspective:
--Should you pick up a used M8 (seems a near meme these days), look out for RRS B30 plates (now discontinued): this model makes easily accessible the baseplate release. I've also used the RSS MC-L, again with older Ms, including M8.
--that the M2XX/M10X bodies' tripod mount is _in the body_, a quickly removable tripod plate is key... unless you've a compatible 128GB card... & battery life! Older bodies have the tripod mount in the baseplate.
--while no spokesperson for Peak Designs, I have a couple plates (PD named "Standard"& "Double") which may be removed with a smallish coin (no hex key required, yet a "smallish coin"? What's _that_?).  I carry these "coin operated" Peak Designs plates for my M10 when I must affix to a tripod as needed.
HTH, in uniton,
Dave

I use M10P. Gitzo's bundled quick release plate is enough for me though RRS makes the finest plates. In fact, RRS no longer make such plate for M10, they only make the handgrip ones.

On 11/22/2020 at 12:08 PM, M10 for me said:

Gitzo tripods are light, beautiful and the Leica store sell them. They have models for all requirements. I have Gitzo tripods and multiple Gitzo heads. Wonderful products.

No, I have no shares 😀

I have two Gitzo tripods, but I prefer the RRS ball heads. The tripods and heads should last at least my lifetime.

They are very expenses, but then so are Leicas. "Buy once, cry once!"

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Edited by budjames

I use every now and then a Manfrotto. It's very tall, heavy and clunky but definitely storm-proof. It's not the one in the background of the photo:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1