which tripod do you use with your M10

Infantasy

I use a carbon Manfrotto (can't remember the name) that is also a good weight for medium format. Light tripods are a waste of time unless you are always going to stand it on solid ground, stand them on grass and they float around. Why not a Gitzo? Well I prefer tripods with a click lever system to lock the legs because they are easier in cold weather and quicker to adjust. For the head it's a Manfrotto hydraulic quick release head, not sure if you can still get them, but you can lock it with the lightest of actions and it doesn't move the camera as you do so. Why use a tripod, I like to set the camera up and wait for the light, or to wander off and look for a better angle without carrying my whole kit, but essentially to slow down and contemplate the scene.

• Like 1

Why is it that there are so, so many Tripod brands and models across the market for many years now yet we can never find the right one? Every time someone asks about tripods on the forums I see even more "new" and old recommended models I never heard of. Amazing the market can support so many tripod models/brands/options  🤪

Like you I need a taller Tripod. Among the hundreds of tripods we can search on the internet, taller, high quality, reasonably priced tripods seem to be hard to find. I settled on two. One light weight, carbon fiber for travel kit from Sirui and one for heavier, non travel kits, and center column-less, a tall Gitzo-- a lovely beast of a tripod that can probably be used for personal defense out in the wild too. 

Five years back I stumbled on a brand I never of and purchased the Sirui T-2204XL 4 Section Carbon Fiber Tripod with E-20 Ball Head kit on Ebay/Hong kong. "XL" stands for Sirui's taller models. I use this tripod for travel and when I bought into Leica use it for the tiny light-weight M10 now too. Sadly this model/kit is no longer available as it might have been the high quality tripod kit deal of the century including ball head, very nice travel bag and extra center column replacement all for under 300 USD at the time. Since I purchased on eBay I didn't get access to the extended, multi year warranty Sirui provides, but after five years and travel to four continents and a few far out pacific islands, my Sirui T-2204XL is still going strong/smooth and looking new. One thing I love about this tripod is that when you untwist all the leg locks at once the carbon fiber leg is weighted and with gravity, the legs slides out to full extension--even after five years! 

If and when my Sirui T-2204XL falls apart, I will look to Sirui again for a replacement. 

https://www.siruiusa.com/index/photographic/tripod.html?cid=2

5 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

Why is it that there are so, so many Tripod brands and models across the market for many years now yet we can never find the right one? Every time someone asks about tripods on the forums I see even more "new" and old recommended models I never heard of. Amazing the market can support so many tripod models/brands/options  🤪

Like you I need a taller Tripod. Among the hundreds of tripods we can search on the internet, taller, high quality, reasonably priced tripods seem to be hard to find. I settled on two. One light weight, carbon fiber for travel kit from Sirui and one for heavier, non travel kits, and center column-less, a tall Gitzo-- a lovely beast of a tripod that can probably be used for personal defense out in the wild too. 

Five years back I stumbled on a brand I never of and purchased the Sirui T-2204XL 4 Section Carbon Fiber Tripod with E-20 Ball Head kit on Ebay/Hong kong. "XL" stands for Sirui's taller models. I use this tripod for travel and when I bought into Leica use it for the tiny light-weight M10 now too. Sadly this model/kit is no longer available as it might have been the high quality tripod kit deal of the century including ball head, very nice travel bag and extra center column replacement all for under 300 USD at the time. Since I purchased on eBay I didn't get access to the extended, multi year warranty Sirui provides, but after five years and travel to four continents and a few far out pacific islands, my Sirui T-2204XL is still going strong/smooth and looking new. One thing I love about this tripod is that when you untwist all the leg locks at once the carbon fiber leg is weighted and with gravity, the legs slides out to full extension--even after five years! 

If and when my Sirui T-2204XL falls apart, I will look to Sirui again for a replacement. 

https://www.siruiusa.com/index/photographic/tripod.html?cid=2

Leica Miami has promoted Sirui tripods in several of their Red Dot Forum ‘Camera Talk’ video discussions as a modestly priced tripod option.

Jeff 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Tripods are in the way and cumbersome. Hand hold.

I'm with you on this. Only use maybe once or twice a year. If I do a freelance job I'll take my 50 yr old Gitzo No1 (think it's a Gilux). That one is my favorite after all theses years. I have acquired many Gitzo's over the years through past jobs. Most of the big one's were for 600-800mm lenses (sports and event). I acquire things and just hang on to them. It's hard to let go. All my wife says == it's time to down-size. Over and over again. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OR120 said:

I'm with you on this. Only use maybe once or twice a year. If I do a freelance job I'll take my 50 yr old Gitzo No1 (think it's a Gilux). That one is my favorite after all theses years. I have acquired many Gitzo's over the years through past jobs. Most of the big one's were for 600-800mm lenses (sports and event). I acquire things and just hang on to them. It's hard to let go. All my wife says == it's time to down-size. Over and over again. 

I have one in a closet. It pretty much stays there. I have no issue with someone using one but I don’t.

• Like 1

Gitzo tripods with Arca heads are difficult to beat. I've tried others but this combination of makers is IMO the best - and its not a word I use lightly. I also have an RRS BH-55 head but I frequently have to tighten up the screws underneath it or it develops movement. The Arcas have been trouble free as have my Gitzos (and one that I bought around 40 years ago is out on loan still in regular use basically untouched except for occasional cleaning - even though its been used everywhere and has had its legs in seawater more than once).

• Like 1

The best and most unused is "Bi-pods" with my 2-feet zoom. :) 

The second is Leica table pods. I use it in two ways, either on a rock or ground for low angle shooting, or leaning on a tree or simply on my chest for stabilization. Manfrotto table pod is good for the similar usage. 

The "real" tripods I've used and would not recommend including Manfrotto  and Three Leg Things. Both have the problem that frequently loosing some knobs or little attachments such as the rubber foot. Three Leg Things also has unreliable center column (easy jammed or slip-out and hard to put back). 

My son gave me a Peak Design. He likes it very much. Nothing special to complain but I am not impressed at all. 

13 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Tripods are in the way and cumbersome...

True for most of them.  My Gitzo GIGT1545T Traveler Series 1 Carbon Fiber Tripod and Novoflex MagicBall 50 Ballhead are not bad - it is certainly smaller and lighter than the behemoth I used when I shot with Nikon SLRs and big Nikkor lenses.

A monopod can help a lot sometimes.  I have the Sirui P-326 Carbon Fiber Monopod.  It is feather light and IMHO well worth taking a look at.

15 hours ago, david strachan said:

With respect really a monopod vs tripod are totally different uses...I still don't like carrying them though...😐

Yes, I agree on both counts.  My point was that if you don't use a tripod that allows a stable platform then you are better off doing something else.

Good stable tripods are somewhat cumbersome, making a lighter, more compact monopod better suited for travelers and occasional use.

With practice and proper technique (hold still, breathe out like your'e taking a rifle shot and use a soft release) your two legs plus the monopod makes the tripod.

OTW, I use a Gitzo GT2941 tripod and Gitzo Traveller ballhead that also works well with my Linhofs.

15 hours ago, david strachan said:

... (1.) With respect really a monopod vs tripod are totally different uses...🤔 ... (2.) I still don't like carrying them though...😐

(1.) Very true - a monopod is not a replacement for a tripod.

(2.) I don't particularly like carrying them, either - but I like missing quality images I could have had even less.

JMHO on this, but it's better to end up with a high quality ISO 400 tripod assisted image than a noisy, grainy ugly pretty much useless high ISO hand held image.

Edited by Herr Barnack

Just to illustrate what can be accomplished - taken with M9 and non-coded ZM 25mm, very early morning in Pushkar with a monopod.  

Shutter speed and f-stop not recorded, but I needed the additional stability to get a crisp pix.  With the M9 ISO 640.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

..."...use a tripod, I like to set the camera up and wait for the light, or to wander off and look for a better angle without carrying my whole kit, but essentially to slow down and contemplate the scene..."

from 250swb , Steve... a very valid point. Particularly for slow contemplative photography which is my favourite style.

And further...by Rick...

19 minutes ago, Rick in CO said:

Just to illustrate what can be accomplished - taken with M9 and non-coded ZM 25mm, very early morning in Pushkar with a monopod.  

Shutter speed and f-stop not recorded, but I needed the additional stability to get a crisp pix.  With the M9 ISO 640.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Really nice Rick.  Certainly tripod shots have a lot more sting and zing quite often...a tripod can often make all the difference from average to stunning, well, like your picture..🙄