Sign in to follow this  
Infantasy

which tripod do you use with your M10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I recently looking for a tripod for travel. I wish to have a light weight but rigid one. I am 183cm tall. Have looked a Gitzo GT1545T, it is high enough for me but the new designed legs are thick and nearly same as their traditional series 2 though it is series 1. I looked their GT0545T as well but the tripod is not high enough and always need to rise up the center column.

Do you have any preference and what are you using? Thanks a lot.

+1 for RRS. 

Although it was easier for me to get my hands on and try the Gitzo 1 series, so that is what I bought. I am happy with it as my standard travel tripod which gets packed into a suitcase. Specific photographic trips and I will take the Pro Media Gear tripod. 

You say the legs are now thicker ... that is usually a good thing for tripods but what is the issue with that for you? 

Gitzo 0545T for travel. Size and weight take priority for me, and it's not critical that it has to be particularly tall. With the column up it is just about eye height, but I only use it like that for non-travel static video. I have a larger Benro for situations where size/weight are less important.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me a tripod for travel use should be:

-light   weight between 1 and 1,5kg  not over 1,7 or 1,8 kg

-short folded   between  40 and 45cm  not over 50cm; this spec is improved if the legs can be folded in reverse position

-high  enough unfolded (depends of the user's needs) central column may add some cm but not fully extended

-able to wear 4 times the total weight of the combo camera-lens. this spec depends a lot of the head fitted on the tripod.

-rigid as much as possible.    personnaly I test rigidity leaning on the top of the expanded tripod

Carbon fiber or metal interfere on weight, rigidity, price (so does the name brand...)

The combo I use since years is :

-tripod   Benro C-168M8 carbon fiber

-head    Gitzo GH2781T  with a no name Arca clamp 

It has been fully reliable for a Nikon D3 with telephoto up to 300mm, so it manages easily the M10 .

Most used is my Leitz tabletop with large Leitz head - often as a chest-pod or against a wall. Otherwise a Leitz Tiltall. They’re all I’ve used for over 50 years.

2 hours ago, Sandokan said:

+1 for RRS. 

Although it was easier for me to get my hands on and try the Gitzo 1 series, so that is what I bought. I am happy with it as my standard travel tripod which gets packed into a suitcase. Specific photographic trips and I will take the Pro Media Gear tripod. 

You say the legs are now thicker ... that is usually a good thing for tripods but what is the issue with that for you? 

Sandokan, 

The new leg makes the tripod very bulky. It nearly the same with the old series 2 tripod. In fact, the M10 should not need such huge tripod but the series 0 is too short. It make me frustrating.

Now that I have time, a little more info on the Peak design travel tripod.  It folds up into a very small package and very light. I can carry it over my shoulder and don't even know its there.  Plenty tall for me at 5'10" and for the M10, very sturdy.  The head is very easy to turn or lock down.  Highly recommended.

Gitzo tripods are light, beautiful and the Leica store sell them. They have models for all requirements. I have Gitzo tripods and multiple Gitzo heads. Wonderful products.

No, I have no shares 😀

Edited by M10 for me

My main tripod is a Manfrotto BeFree 2 Advanced with a Hejnar Arca Swiss replacement plate.  Light, collapses down well to fit in a small suitcase, and is plenty sturdy.  I would like to upgrade to a Gitzo at some point, but since I’m not traveling it doesn’t make sense for me at the moment. 

"Ravelli APLT4 61" Lightweight Aluminum Tripod" which I bought for a whopping $26 😂

I don't use tripods often, but it seems fine? This could easily be a huge "I don't know what I'm missing" thing.

Medium weight Gitzo, one of the basalt series no longer made.  Anything less, get a good monopod, works just as well and more convenient.

Hi Rick

With respect really a monopod vs tripod are totally different uses...🤔

I've a few tripods (and a monopod) and all are Manfrotto...including their excellent table-top earlier model.

Tripod work is underrated...it does get rid of the tyranny of a camera around your neck.

Just remember to store, with camera attached, out of the traffic way.  I tie pink flagging tape around one leg to stop  accidental  tripping. And always use your tripod with time delay or cable release, particularly if you are using a tripod you can't "climb on".

I still don't like carrying them though...😐

I have a Gitzo GIGT1545T Traveler Series 1 Carbon Fiber Tripod topped with a Novoflex MagicBall 50 Ballhead that I use with my M camera kit.  The head has a 15.4 lb. load capacity and the tripod has a 22 lb. capacity, both of which are more than adequate for an M camera and lens.