Q2 GPS Does Not Work in 3.0 Yet?

lstreet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 8 Stunden schrieb iRandom:

I experienced a fun new behavior today. I opened the app and confirmed that I got a photo with geolocation. I left the app running in the foreground when I put the phone to sleep. A few hours later I started on a photoshoot without touching the phone. I ended up with photos with geolocation 15 minutes into the shoot.

The 15 minute limit seem to be a IOS/IPhone problem as others experienced the same behaviour.

I went yesterday to watch the raging sea and geotagging was working fine until i went in the grocery shop with the phone in my pcoket and the camera in the car.
Connection dropped and i had to restart the phone again to reconnect.

However, as long the phone and camera are near enough to communicate the connection did not drop for at least 30 minutes and geotagging happend.

As the storm got even worst i will go out and take some photos and test if the connection would stay alive for hours.

Chris

My feeling is that for GPS Tagging alone the Photos App seems to me to be much too complicated. Some might contradict and I imagine that once set it might work. But still a few conditions have to be met and it is not fully simple. Therefor for a good while now I use GeoTagR as the iPhone App for Geotagging. It is very simple and it works. 

I must admit that I have no other use for this Photos App that maybe GPS tagging so I did never really look into it up to today. For me its rather a toy and because of that other opinions might have more weight. For simple Geotagging the mentioned app is perfect.

6 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

The 15 minute limit seem to be a IOS/IPhone problem as others experienced the same behaviour.

I went yesterday to watch the raging sea and geotagging was working fine until i went in the grocery shop with the phone in my pcoket and the camera in the car.
Connection dropped and i had to restart the phone again to reconnect.

However, as long the phone and camera are near enough to communicate the connection did not drop for at least 30 minutes and geotagging happend.

As the storm got even worst i will go out and take some photos and test if the connection would stay alive for hours.

Chris

The weird thing in my case this time is that the photos for the first 15 minutes DID NOT have the geolocation. So, the 15 minutes in this case was a waiting period rather than a timeout. And it was almost exactly 15 minutes between the first photo and the first one that finally had geolocation.

I also noticed that when geolocation is working the satellite icon is white and the bluetooth is gray. Seems like bluetooth would be active as well.

• 1 year later...

I decided to get the Q2 to record gps today. The app doesn't let you shoot using the camera button, so you have to keep the phone in one hand and point the camera with the other. Which is awkward. Anyway, I shot a number of photos using the app, and no sign of GPS info anywhere on the photos on the iPhone. However, gps did work for Lightroom Classic. Some I had used the app, others I had disconnected, and yet it still showed a GPS register. One important caveat: there were many errors in the ones I didn't have the app open for. Does it keep on working even when apparently disconnected?

The procedure is given on pp130-132 of the (English) manual.  It refers only to Bluetooth, with no mention of wi-fi.  It isn’t clear what happens when either the camera or the phone or both sleep.  Firmware 4 claims to have improved it and page 8 of the supplementary manual for firmware 4 adds more information, but still ,in my opinion, doesn’t make anything clearer.  Having said this, I’ve found it problematic, inconsistent and unreliable…

Edited by Wolfs head