Sony A7C... The future TL3 and CL2?

Rob7P

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Maybe the future of the CL and TL2 will be the same sensor of the Sony alpha 7C: compact camera, full frame and 24 MP? 

There are also rumors of an SL2-S with this specs so it can be the end of the CL and TL lineup?

Currently I have a T and I'm worried if upgrade to a TL2 for Black Friday or wait.. I will be happy to uprade for the extra megapixels of the TL2 but there are some cons for the fact that with the same sensor the pixels are smaller?

Happy if anyone can help with my decision :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just bought a TL2 and was agonising between the TL2 and CL.

My conclusion was that the TL2 will not be updated and is the end of the line. Any replacement will be in a different form factor.

For me, the main attraction of the TL2 is the form factor so I went with it even though it is 3 year old technology.

I compared the size and layout of the TL2 to the 7c before buying the TL2. I wanted fewer buttons and dials, not more. I also wanted something pocketable and the 7c does not meet that brief.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Reggie said:

I just bought a TL2 and was agonising between the TL2 and CL.

My conclusion was that the TL2 will not be updated and is the end of the line. Any replacement will be in a different form factor.

For me, the main attraction of the TL2 is the form factor so I went with it even though it is 3 year old technology.

I compared the size and layout of the TL2 to the 7c before buying the TL2. I wanted fewer buttons and dials, not more. I also wanted something pocketable and the 7c does not meet that brief.

Thanks for the comparison but I was thinking not to buy the sony but at the new sensor in a compact case and if Leica will upgrade with it the lineup :) 

Do you recommande the TL2 over my T?

26 minutes ago, Rob7P said:

Thanks for the comparison but I was thinking not to buy the sony but at the new sensor in a compact case and if Leica will upgrade with it the lineup :) 

Do you recommande the TL2 over my T?

It seems like they may well be looking at the  compact full frame market but given the TL lenses are all APSC it wouldn’t make sense for that to be as replacement for the CL/TL line.

• Like 2

Today I phoned to a Leica official store for trade in my t+23mm and buy the tl2+35lux.. He confirmed TL2 won't be unpdated and CL will be in the next 6 month but not this year. 

For the change he suggested me the Q2 because is way better than tl2+35lux.. I told him that I was interested in the 50mm field of view and he confirmed the better quality of Q2 expecially in the 3dimensionality

Someone have some confirm of this difference of quality? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

CL + Summilux-TL 35mm is better than Q2 cropped at 50mm. 
For those reasons 
- CL AF is faster and more reliable. 
- TL 35mm will provide 24MP instead of 15MP
-  TL 35mm has a light flux equivalent to 50mm f/2 instead of 50mm f/2.8.   
- CL has better high ISO. 
- you get way better viewing experience with 100% field of view instead of tiny framelines. It is very hard to know what you are actually framing. 

But Q2 at 50mm is better     
- no need to carry an extra lens. You kinda got 4 in 1

- weather sealed. 
- macro mode. 
- Optical image stabilisation. Not really effective by the way. Only useful for vide
- 4K available at every crop mode. 

I did own the TL 35. Sold it to really take advantage of Q2 crop mode. In retrospect it was a silly move. I almost never shoot in 50mm crop mode nowadays. But I do not hesitate to use 35mm crop. 

Q and Q2 are only 28 and 35mm camera. For practical reasons 50mm crop is not useable. And 75mm is a gimmick (frame lines are even tinier)  

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I like the TL3 to stay APS-C/S35, come with a bright tilt screen, and record very decent 4K video internally. 

I don't understand why Leica keeps saying you can use your phone as a small/tilting monitor screen to answer why their cameras do not need one . Isn't that a design question to integrate the tilting screen nicely instead of making it a functionally argument to have or not to have? If Leica can takes on the challenge and execute brilliantly, they will win the applause. Otherwise, isn't it simply an ignorance to the popular desire and without demonstrating their design ability? 

Love my Leicas though. Happy shooting!