Jump to content

Q2 Monochrom PDR on Photons To Photos


SrMi
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

Thought this comparison would be good visual for how the current Q2 and M line look together.

Looks pretty plain to me that ISO 100 is the true Base ISO of the Q2M, yet Leica only lets us use ISO 100 manually and not as a part of Auto ISO. I'm not sure if ISO 100 is really a "pull" from base 200. Having ISO 200 as the Base ISO looks more like a tactic to protect the highlights like Fujifilm does with its expanded DR settings that force Base 200 or Base 400 ISO (depending on the strength of the setting). Regardless, this chart seems to indicate that forcing ISO 100 and then carefully watching the highlights (as we do anyway on the Monos) is the best way to go for IQ.

The Photons to Photos read noise chart also shows ISO 100 on the Q2M has lower read noise than ISO 200.

Edited by hdmesa
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Thought this comparison would be good visual for how the current Q2 and M line look together.

Looks pretty plain to me that ISO 100 is the true Base ISO of the Q2M, yet Leica only lets us use ISO 100 manually and not as a part of Auto ISO. I'm not sure if ISO 100 is really a "pull" from base 200. Having ISO 200 as the Base ISO looks more like a tactic to protect the highlights like Fujifilm does with its expanded DR settings that force Base 200 or Base 400 ISO (depending on the strength of the setting). Regardless, this chart seems to indicate that forcing ISO 100 and then carefully watching the highlights (as we do anyway on the Monos) is the best way to go for IQ.

The Photons to Photos read noise chart also shows ISO 100 on the Q2M has lower read noise than ISO 200.

<snip>

There is some weirdness around that ISO 100. Bill Claff has measured and remeasured, and it is pretty clear that ISO 100 is base ISO. But Leica claims it is not (emails from Leica). As you mentioned, there are also some issues with exposure at ISO 100.  There are also inconsistencies with live histogram and highlight warnings when shooting at ISO 100 (different than in image review).

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

There is some weirdness around that ISO 100. Bill Claff has measured and remeasured, and it is pretty clear that ISO 100 is base ISO. But Leica claims it is not (emails from Leica). As you mentioned, there are also some issues with exposure at ISO 100.  There are also inconsistencies with live histogram and highlight warnings when shooting at ISO 100 (different than in image review).

Could be ISO 100 reacts differently than ISO 200 though max ISO, and Leica is unwilling to write the code needed in firmware to accommodate (for correct functioning of histogram, highlight warnings, and Auto ISO). Just did a search and didn't realize the base ISO issue came up with the Q2 as well – 50 vs 100.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Could be ISO 100 reacts differently than ISO 200 though max ISO, and Leica is unwilling to write the code needed in firmware to accommodate (for correct functioning of histogram, highlight warnings, and Auto ISO). Just did a search and didn't realize the base ISO issue came up with the Q2 as well – 50 vs 100.

It is the same with SL2 (50 vs. 100). They all use the same sensor type.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...