90 summicron APO vs Nikon Z 85mm 1.8s

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi M people,

Whoever have experience with both lenses please comment?  I've seen some amazing photos in flickr about this Nikon Z lens, I think many are even better than the 90APO but what do I miss?

P.S. a Nikon 85mm 1.2s is coming soon... that can be some interesting competitions with the expensive 90 Lux. 

I have both although I don't have any images for direct comparisons. Qualitatively, the Nikon lens is really excellent, sharp with very nice rendering style and focus very fast and accurate.  Considering the price, it's the best value short tele, period. Personally, I still prefer the APO-Summicron-M 90 for its color rendering.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ocean2059 said:

I have both although I don't have any images for direct comparisons. Qualitatively, the Nikon lens is really excellent, sharp with very nice rendering style and focus very fast and accurate.  Considering the price, it's the best value short tele, period. Personally, I still prefer the APO-Summicron-M 90 for its color rendering.   

agree... do you shoot the 90APO wide open often?

12 minutes ago, jaeger said:

agree... do you shoot the 90APO wide open often?

I do shoot 90APO wide open ofter. I felt that Nikon is sharper at f1.8. But this could be that I couldn't nail the focus for 90APO, which I use for rangefinder focus. A while ago, I tried to use the 90APO on Sony A7RIII with an autofocus adapter but I wasn't happy with Sony's color and the focus accuracy was only marginal.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, ocean2059 said:

This was taken last weekend with Nikon Z7 and Z85/1,8S lens (ISO64, f2.8, 1/1250)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It would be great if you also shot with 90APO on your Z7.  So that we can see do an A B comparison. 

6 minutes ago, jaeger said:

It would be great if you also shot with 90APO on your Z7.  So that we can see do an A B comparison. 

I should but I haven't gotten around to it. I don't have a M-to-Z adapter at the moment and hopefully I will get one soon. I really like all the Nikon Z f1.8 prime lenses, as much as that I become less motivated to use Leica M/R and Contax G lenses on the Z7.  

• Like 1

vor 16 Stunden schrieb tom0511:

Does the Z lens work on a M camera? Or the M lens AF on a Z camera? So why would it matter?

My fault, I just realized the M lens should work on the Nikon Z. Personally I wouldnt hassle with a manual focus lens on a Nikon Z. I once compared a Z7+Nikon 50mm to SL2 + SL50/1.4 and while I slightly prefer the Leica I found the Nikon Z to be an excellent lens.

9 hours ago, ocean2059 said:

should but I haven't gotten around to it. I don't have a M-to-Z adapter at the moment and hopefully I will get one soon. I really like all the Nikon Z f1.8 prime lenses, as much as that I become less motivated to use Leica M/R and Contax G lenses on the Z7.  

The M to Z adapter is one of the best investment!  M lenses on Z are AMAZING!!

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

My fault, I just realized the M lens should work on the Nikon Z. Personally I wouldnt hassle with a manual focus lens on a Nikon Z. I once compared a Z7+Nikon 50mm to SL2 + SL50/1.4 and while I slightly prefer the Leica I found the Nikon Z to be an excellent lens.

Not at all, I could have made my question more clear.  yes Leica lenses + Nikon Z are good combo.  I have recently sold the 90APO, because my aging eye sights are not good enough...  that's why I am asking around M fellows to see if Nikon 85mm 1.8s is a good replacement. 

The next in line is the 50mm summilux, hopefully I can handle it for next 10-15 years, by then I might be forced to completely retire from photography. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jaeger said:

The M to Z adapter is one of the best investment!  M lenses on Z are AMAZING!!

Not at all, I could have made my question more clear.  yes Leica lenses + Nikon Z are good combo.  I have recently sold the 90APO, because my aging eye sights are not good enough...  that's why I am asking around M fellows to see if Nikon 85mm 1.8s is a good replacement. 

The next in line is the 50mm summilux, hopefully I can handle it for next 10-15 years, by then I might be forced to completely retire from photography. 

If you don't mind me asking, which autofocus adapter did you get? Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, ocean2059 said:

If you don't mind me asking, which autofocus adapter did you get? Thanks.

Not at all Ocean, when I use M lenses on Z, I use manual focus novoflex adapter.  When I need auto-focusing, I rather use native Z lenses on Z body for optimal performance especially when shooting moving subjects with telephoto lenses.  I am quite sure those 3rd party autofocus adapters aren't fast enough and way too noisy.

The focus peaking in Z7 is pretty good therefore manual focus is manageable with standard and wide angle M lenses.  In addition, Leica lenses are phenomenal in movies, all you need is a gimble with remote focus pull.  I added ninja V for 10bit 422 raw, on man... I feel like a PRO.  But again, Leica lenses on Z is still off-limit to sport or fast moving subjects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaeger said:

Not at all Ocean, when I use M lenses on Z, I use manual focus novoflex adapter.  When I need auto-focusing, I rather use native Z lenses on Z body for optimal performance especially when shooting moving subjects with telephoto lenses.  I am quite sure those 3rd party autofocus adapters aren't fast enough and way too noisy.

The focus peaking in Z7 is pretty good therefore manual focus is manageable with standard and wide angle M lenses.  In addition, Leica lenses are phenomenal in movies, all you need is a gimble with remote focus pull.  I added ninja V for 10bit 422 raw, on man... I feel like a PRO.  But again, Leica lenses on Z is still off-limit to sport or fast moving subjects.

Thanks, very much. I will go get one soon. I do have a Novoflex Leica R to Nikon Z adapter that I use for Leica APO-Elamrit-R 100mm Macro and APO-Elmar 180mm, occasionally. 

• Like 1

I have both and used them on Z7. Both are excellent, Nikkor will auto focus, for M camera APO Summicron is only choice.

Z system is high quality, 85mm f1.8 is very rare modern lens which is beautifully corrected without ASPH elements and it cost me 1/3 what I paid for APO Summicron 10 years ago.

if you want to shoot close at f4 or f5.6 with bokeh balls in the background Nikkor will produce smother image, Summicron balls are jagged.

Forthcoming Nikkor 85mm f1.2 appears to be real behemoth  - with stronger gravity field than current heavy champions Sigma.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ocean2059 said:

Thanks, very much. I will go get one soon. I do have a Novoflex Leica R to Nikon Z adapter that I use for Leica APO-Elamrit-R 100mm Macro and APO-Elmar 180mm, occasionally. 

I used to have R to M, then M to Z adapters staggered, and I recommended this setting because you don't need a third adapter from R to Z. 

After 2 years of exploring/struggling, I give up on M and bought a Z.  I sold all the R lenses and its adapter due to shutter lag using EVF on M, about 1/2 second delayed and 1 second to complete.  I keep the M only for 24, 35 and 50 and I "personally" truly believe the design of RF is only for wide and standard lenses.  In fact, RF might only good for summicron but not summilux. 

7 minutes ago, mmradman said:

Nikkor 85mm f1.2 appears to be real behemoth

I can bear their size for excellent IQ but I can't stand the OLED display that has no benefit to IQ but new can of worm to break.

Edited by jaeger
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jaeger said:

I used to have R to M, then M to Z adapters staggered, and I recommended this setting because you don't need a third adapter from R to Z. 

After 2 years of exploring/struggling, I give up on M and bought a Z.  I sold all the R lenses and its adapter due to shutter lag using EVF on M, about 1/2 second delayed and 1 second to complete.  I keep the M only for 24, 35 and 50 and I "personally" truly believe the design of RF is only for wide and standard lenses.  In fact, RF might only good for summicron but not summilux. 

I can bear their size for excellent IQ but I can't stand the OLED display that has no benefit to IQ but new can of worm to break.

In the age of disposable opto-electronics longevity is not going to be guaranteed for ever. Nikon appear to be realistically managing expectations, haven’t seen Noct f0.95 58mm which is MF with OLED display, all Z five lenses in my possession have 10 year recycle symbol. I think Leica is stating 15 years.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:17 PM, mmradman said:

85mm f1.8 is very rare modern lens which is beautifully corrected without ASPH elements and it cost me 1/3 what I paid for APO Summicron 10 years ago.

And my 90 APO M (silver) is now worth 2 to 3 times more than what I paid for it 15 years ago :) 

1 hour ago, didier said:

And my 90 APO M (silver) is now worth 2 to 3 times more than what I paid for it 15 years ago :) 

It may be so, but that is kind of attitude that makes Leica laughing stock by non Leica users.

If I am to starting buying today from ground zero with current knowledge I would go for Nikkor and pocket the difference. When I bought my APO Summicron 10 years ago it was used solely on film camera (MP) for the first two years and in that period I enjoyed my film photography as I enjoy my digital nowadays.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mmradman said:

When I bought my APO Summicron 10 years ago it was used solely on film camera (MP) for the first two years and in that period I enjoyed my film photography as I enjoy my digital nowadays.

So do I enjoy with my APO 90 both worlds