Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Pintpot said:

I have to admit that's a valid point, but considering the cost, year on year, I'd rather buy any software, use it for as long as it's viable then - if needed - upgrade.

(OK so I'm a bit tight fisted 🙂 )

I may be even more tight fisted as I'm still using LR 5.7 on a 2013 MBP,  but it works fine and does everything I need it to do.  Saving my upgrade money for lenses and such.🙂

7 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

Saving my upgrade money for lenses and such.🙂

By avoiding the Adobe subscription photo package (including both Photoshop and Lightroom), you’ll be able to buy a $5k Leica lens in 42 years.  Taxes extra.

Jeff

13 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

My laptop could well be inadequate and unknown

Steve, I suspect your laptop is overwhelmed by Lightroom.  Here are two suggestions to try to reduce the computer's load.

In Lightroom you will notice that the first two modules are Library (the generic term is Digital Asset Management) and Develop (the generic term is Raw Conversion).  Library is essentially Bridge and Develop is Camera Raw.  Library and Camera Raw come with your Adobe trial subscription.  So:

1) Instead of using Lightroom, open Bridge as your digital asset manager.  If you are working with raw files, just double left click on the image you want to process.  Camera Raw will open automatically.  Do your Develop tasks.  Then click Done; do not click Open.  If you are working with jpeg files, right click on the image.  A window will open.  Select "Open in Camera Raw".  You can process your jpeg image like you do a raw image.  When Done, you can use File/Export to/Custom Export to save the finished file in jpeg or any other format you want.

2) Break your image files into folders with no more than 24 files per folder.  I have a fairly capable Mac and I never have more than 72 images in a folder.  It just takes too long for Lightroom or Bridge to load that many images, particularly if they are raw because they need raw conversion just to display the thumbnails.

These two suggestions will minimize the processing load on your laptop.

19 hours ago, Jeff S said:

By avoiding the Adobe subscription photo package (including both Photoshop and Lightroom), you’ll be able to buy a $5k Leica lens in 42 years.  Taxes extra.

Jeff

You are absolutely correct, no argument here...it gives me something to look forward to.  It took me many years to realize that the latest, greatest wiz bang only gave me bragging rights which are absolutely worthless.😜

11 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

You are absolutely correct, no argument here...it gives me something to look forward to.  It took me many years to realize that the latest, greatest wiz bang only gave me bragging rights which are absolutely worthless.😜

Good to have learned that at a young age.  In 42 years, I’ll be long gone. My lessons include not being penny wise and pound foolish, and to treat myself well in retirement in small ways.   Editing software is among the least costly items in my photography, and at the same time among the most important and valuable parts of my total shooting and print workflow. Huge bang for the buck. Far less, too, than I spent in darkroom days. 

Different strokes for different folks....

Jeff

On 11/23/2020 at 1:47 PM, zeitz said:

Steve, I suspect your laptop is overwhelmed by Lightroom.  Here are two suggestions to try to reduce the computer's load.

In Lightroom you will notice that the first two modules are Library (the generic term is Digital Asset Management) and Develop (the generic term is Raw Conversion).  Library is essentially Bridge and Develop is Camera Raw.  Library and Camera Raw come with your Adobe trial subscription.  So:

1) Instead of using Lightroom, open Bridge as your digital asset manager.  If you are working with raw files, just double left click on the image you want to process.  Camera Raw will open automatically.  Do your Develop tasks.  Then click Done; do not click Open.  If you are working with jpeg files, right click on the image.  A window will open.  Select "Open in Camera Raw".  You can process your jpeg image like you do a raw image.  When Done, you can use File/Export to/Custom Export to save the finished file in jpeg or any other format you want.

2) Break your image files into folders with no more than 24 files per folder.  I have a fairly capable Mac and I never have more than 72 images in a folder.  It just takes too long for Lightroom or Bridge to load that many images, particularly if they are raw because they need raw conversion just to display the thumbnails.

These two suggestions will minimize the processing load on your laptop.

Thanks for the advice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/22/2020 at 5:58 PM, Jeff S said:

Jeff

He'll be barely able to keep up with inflation :). The subscription saving is about 2% of Leica SL2 cost.

On 11/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, Jeff S said:

Jeff

Some of us are willing to be a doggie on Adobe's leash - and some of us aren't. ;)

I come at this from a slightly different angle, though. First, I use the whole Adobe CS, so the cost to "rent" it is higher. Using the cloud, it would have cost me $5040 over 7 years/84 months.

I think my perpetual CS6 cost me about $1400 back in 2013, which means I've paid $16.66 a month over 7 years - and it still works, and will work for at least another 7 years. ;)

But in addition, I have other software that runs very nicely on my 2013 Mac Pro Tower - but won't run on a newer OSX. And replacing those apps would also cost money (and in some cases would not be fully backwards-compatible with work I already have created).

So I am not upgrading anything (except planning to get larger drives soon).

The only thing that is getting creaky is my 2015 Firefox browser (and current replacements also won't support my old OS). So I may spring for the cheapest new Macbook I can get, to handle some internet things, where needed.

Other than that, the whole of Silicon Valley (and its global counterparts) could fall in the Pacific tomorrow, for all I care.

Part of my great working-retirement is getting off that treadmill. ;)

On 11/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, jaapv said:

I'm not sure of the ripping off bit - that is not a sustainable business model. My guess is that they got fed up with hackers cracking their registration process.

If so, it hasn't worked. The usual suspects are apparently doing the same thing to CC.

3 minutes ago, adan said:

I think my perpetual CS6 cost me about $1400 back in 2013, which means I've paid $16.66 a month over 7 years - and it still works, and will work for at least another 7 years. ;)

Sadly, I don't think we can count on this. CS3 was released only 5 years before CS6, but Adobe killed the CS3 activation servers in 2017, and stopped supplying the replacement activation-free installers at the end of last year. At some point they're going to kill the CS6 servers, and they may or may not supply activation-free installers when they do that. If they don't, the software will only live as long as your hard disk. 'Perpetual' seems to mean 'about a decade' these days.

4 minutes ago, adan said:

Some of us are willing to be a doggie on Adobe's leash - and some of us aren't. ;)

I come at this from a slightly different angle, though. First, I use the whole Adobe CS, so the cost to "rent" it is higher. Using the cloud, it would have cost me $5040 over 7 years/84 months.

But in addition, I have other software that runs very nicely on my 2013 Mac Pro Tower - but won't run on a newer OSX. And replacing those apps would also cost money (and in some cases would not be fully backwards-compatible with work I already have created).

So I am not upgrading anything (except planning to get larger drives soon).

The only thing that is getting creaky is my 2015 Firefox browser (and current replacements also won't support my old OS). So I may spring for the cheapest new Macbook I can get, to handle some internet things, where needed.

Other than that, the whole of Silicon Valley (and its global counterparts) could fall in the Pacific tomorrow, for all I care.

Part of my great working-retirement is getting off that treadmill. ;)

I wouldn’t use Adobe at those costs; mine are currently $120/yr.  And I gladly paid $895 for ImagePrint, which has added value many times over.  I won’t mind paying another few hundred bucks to upgrade it for the first time to keep up with Epson and/or Apple when required.  

But any of these companies only get my money when the value equation is clear.  Otherwise I move on; I’m not on any leash. We each make that call regularly across a multitude of products and services. Retirement has been good to me for 13 years so far, and Adobe hasn’t been an issue. Apple, however, may force a decision for me in the next few years.  Adobe, too, if they force cloud storage.

Jeff