Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stopped subscription for CC.  They did nothing I wanted or used for two years. Tried Capture one and they get more and more complicated to no advantage and I had to pay.  They even overwrote some of my custom action/procedures with an update.    So back to CS6 .  I will not update that computer or connect to internet.  Go to go for a long time.

Nikons get CS6 or NX D and color control points are back.  This is free from Nikon.  And If I convert DNG to tiff,  the Leica files process nicely.

I consider 10 bucks a month for the combination of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop a bargain.  No more than I used to spend on upgrades, but without the hassles and with many new features and controls (local and global) and rapid camera/lens updates.  Far less than I used to spend in darkroom days on processing, and a pittance compared to my gear costs.  LR Classic provides all I need, without cloud storage. 

Different strokes....

Jeff

Recently started using lightroom classic and trying out raw instead of the evil jpegs.

It's glitchy ,unresponsive and keeps crashing,in fact compared to paint,net which is free but only deals with jpegs is useless.

I use windows 10 .

No way will i pay for this rubbish when my free 3 months or whatever it is ends.

On 11/18/2020 at 1:59 AM, Jeff S said:

I consider 10 bucks a month for the combination of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop a bargain.  No more than I used to spend on upgrades, but without the hassles and with many new features and controls (local and global) and rapid camera/lens updates.  Far less than I used to spend in darkroom days on processing, and a pittance compared to my gear costs.  LR Classic provides all I need, without cloud storage. 

Different strokes....

Jeff

When you laugh at a post which was not funny what does it mean? 

Is it just a gutless mocking type thing?

7 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

When you laugh at a post which was not funny what does it mean? 

Is it just a gutless mocking type thing?

No more than your mocking LR as rubbish.  Not worth discussing; a laugh suffices.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, steve 1959 said:

glitchy ,unresponsive and keeps crashing

Steve, of all the criticisms I have heard about Lightroom, I don't recall anyone reporting that it is glitchy, unresponsive and crashes.  I think that is why Jeff reacted the way he did.  Does Bridge/Camera Raw/Photoshop also display these characteristics?  A couple of years ago I had lockup trouble with Photoshop because of graphics card conflicts.  There has to be something wrong with your system/installation.  Have you contacted Abode support which has always been responsive to me?

2 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

No more than your mocking LR as rubbish.  Not worth discussing; a laugh suffices.

Jeff

Its rubbish for me ,one customer lost .

1 minute ago, zeitz said:

Steve, of all the criticisms I have heard about Lightroom, I don't recall anyone reporting that it is glitchy, unresponsive and crashes.  I think that is why Jeff reacted the way he did.  Does Bridge/Camera Raw/Photoshop also display these characteristics?  A couple of years ago I had lockup trouble with Photoshop because of graphics card conflicts.  There has to be something wrong with your system/installation.  Have you contacted Abode support which has always been responsive to me?

Thanks,you are i am sure quite right.

But for me its a wonderful feeling to delete lightroom completely from my computer and get back to where i was happier, meaning jpegs on paint,net.

Sometimes you try to run with the crowd just like you did when you were a teenager but its better by far to be yourself i have found.

I have done 4 weddings and several photo books of my grand children for my children using this system of working and its a relief to get back to that way of operating.

2 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

That’s differently stated. Still not engaging, though, as you seem completely uninterested in feedback from Adobe and/or the community to avoid crashing and use as countless others successfully do. Certainly your prerogative. There are many other options.

Jeff

On 11/18/2020 at 2:59 AM, Jeff S said:

Different strokes....

Jeff

I happened  to rework  some of my old DMR shots today. It was really noticeable how much better  PSCC 22.0.0 is  than CS5 (virtually the  same algorithms as CS6) which I used for the first processing. Better colour and contrast transitions, infinitely better sharpening and noise suppression, more flexibility in the files and more. I would not revert to CS6 if Adobe paid me 10$ a month....

The only downside was that I had to make a DMR profile as the present Adobe Color far too yellow with DMR DNGs.

47 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

Strange - my PS or  LR CC versions never crash - I suspect a lack of RAM and faulty scratch disk settings.

Well...I got my LR as a download when I got my 'C' in 2013 and got any upgrades till Adobe started to charge monthly. So I'm stuck with v6.14, however it works fine for me. And let's be fair, how many of us ever hired our darkroom equipment on a monthly basis! IMHO I think Adobe are just ripping folks off.

I was a Lightroom user from version 1, after version 5 I left. Did the calculation back then of my license cost compared to a subscription model (subscription was not available prior to version 6) . Subscription would would have been almost twice the amount. I don't need Photoshop so the bundle is just too expensive for me. 

1 hour ago, Pintpot said:

Well...I got my LR as a download when I got my 'C' in 2013 and got any upgrades till Adobe started to charge monthly. So I'm stuck with v6.14, however it works fine for me. And let's be fair, how many of us ever hired our darkroom equipment on a monthly basis! IMHO I think Adobe are just ripping folks off.

I'm not sure of the ripping off bit - that is not a sustainable business model. My guess is that they got fed up with hackers cracking their registration process.

12 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

But for me its a wonderful feeling to delete lightroom completely from my computer and get back to where i was happier, meaning jpegs on paint,net.

Steve, you have solid reasoning and are making the right decision to go back to software that works for you.  But to make the statement Lightroom is "glitchy, unresponsive and crashes" does a disservice to the Forum readers and to any software supplier, particularly if you have not contacted the supplier's customer support.  To say "you found it glitchy, unresponsive and crashes on your system" is true, but you need tell use what your system is.  Just saying you use Windows 10 is not nearly enough.  You could be running 32-bit Windows 10 for all we know.  Computer (mother board), Intel CPU (i?), number of cores, how much RAM, HDD or SSD with size, graphics card, monitor, Windows 10 version number, etc is the information needed to understand your problem.   Now people will say "I read on the Internet that Lightroom is glitchy, unresponsive and crashes; if it is on the Internet, it must be true."

Millions of people in photography, graphics and publishing businesses use Adobe's software every day.  They make their living with Adobe software.  They would not do so if the software behaved as you describe.

4 hours ago, Pintpot said:

IMHO I think Adobe are just ripping folks off.

Tony, Adobe is a publicly traded stock.  In the United States the COE and the Board of Directors of all publicly traded companies are required by law to serve the interests of their stock holders, not the interests of their customers.  From the performance of Adobe stock, I don't think Adobe is lacking for satisfied customers.  If Adobe is ripping folks off, the right strategy here is to buy some Adobe stock.

Apple made 38.4% earnings on their sales last quarter.  They face multiple lawsuits over the app store and several international investigations for monopolistic practices.  But I don't see a rush of people turning in their Macs because Apple is ripping folks off.

If the cost/benefit of Adobe products doesn't work for you, fine; use something else.  If you don't use nearly any of the unique features in Adobe software, fine; use something else.  We don't care.  But IMHO, and I assume in Jeff's HO, the Adobe photo software subscription is a bargain.  The software is updated at least monthly, it is fully capable, it has very good on-line support, it is the graphics industry standard, it flat out works with only rare exceptions and the software will still be fresh 10 years for now (Apple/Aperture wasn't able to achieve that).  

I no longer use Abobe since it's not the best fit for my needs. As an outside observer, it does seem to me like things have changed for the better with the introduction of CC. That helped to stabilize the revenue stream for this division which, in turn, seems like it has helped to rekindle the application development. LR CC has fleshed out nicely. Going to CC also put a huge photo repository at Adobe's disposal which can be used to develop and refine their ML solutions. And I feel that Abode is taking a more realistic view to ML and doing more practical stuff than just flashy things like sky replacement. Although, I understand that they do need to do some of the flashy stuff for marketing since the more practical doesn't grab headlines.

I was a firm believer that Adobe was going to let LR Classic die in favor of LR CC. I still believe that was their original intention, but I now believe that saner minds may have prevailed and that LR Classic may indeed be here to stay. 

I hated how sluggish LR was but, in retrospect, it was stable. It very rarely crashed.

Thanks for the calm answers while i had my techno phobic mini nervous breakdown.

My laptop could well be inadequate and unknown to me my grand daughter had turned my screen on to full brightness to play bloody roblox which played havoc with my edits!!

Anyway back to trying to make lightroom work for me.

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

I'm not sure of the ripping off bit - that is not a sustainable business model. My guess is that they got fed up with hackers cracking their registration process.

I have to admit that's a valid point, but considering the cost, year on year, I'd rather buy any software, use it for as long as it's viable then - if needed - upgrade.

(OK so I'm a bit tight fisted 🙂 )

Well, Photoshop upgrades used to be bl***y expensive, so I save quite a bit of money, especially. as LR CC, which synchronizes nicely with LR on my phone, gets thrown in for free. LR Classic is neither here or there for me, as I never was a fan of using it, except for the print module.