Leica fotos, worst app ever used

Eldad

I may be biased - but for my use the app works flawlessly. It connects smoothly to my TL and CL and allows downloads to my phone to get the DNGs into Lightroom automatically through  LR mobile and iCloud, when I am not at my computer, or for social media use, even for this Forum using Snapseed editing and it releases the cameras remotely. It is all I need; exactly the same as for instance the Panasonic app I use as well.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This app is indeed a piece of crap. I can hardly think of an iOS app that's worse than it. I don't think I've seen any.
My wife has a D-Lux 7, and connecting it to her iPhone or iPad via PHOTOS is always hit and miss (mostly miss). Even when it does work (sort of), it often finds and transfers just some of the pictures.

She's given up on it, and now she removes the memory card and sticks it into her laptop. It's so much easier and faster than struggling with that garbage.

Leica makes fantastic cameras and lenses, but software is definitely not its strongest point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s certainly not the best app in the world of apps - it’s clunky and slow. I use it for sorting images by deleting some, which is where I have the biggest complaint. The images download from the camera to the iPad scree in portrait format. I then view them in landscape so I can see more of the image in order to make a decision. But when I delete an image the screen reverts to portrait, necessitating me turning the iPad to regain landscape format. Tiresome to say the least. I’m sure Leica have some technical explanation but I’m equally sure it can be fixed, can’t it? 

17 hours ago, drneilgoodwin said:

It’s certainly not the best app in the world of apps - it’s clunky and slow. I use it for sorting images by deleting some, which is where I have the biggest complaint. The images download from the camera to the iPad scree in portrait format. I then view them in landscape so I can see more of the image in order to make a decision. But when I delete an image the screen reverts to portrait, necessitating me turning the iPad to regain landscape format. Tiresome to say the least. I’m sure Leica have some technical explanation but I’m equally sure it can be fixed, can’t it? 

Sounds like a bug. You can report it directly to Leica via the support email link from within the Fotos app.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Much as I love Leica cameras, I have to agree that the Leica Fotos app is ridiculously poor.

It was so difficult to connect the first time that I was reluctant to use it again. Connecting to the D-Lux Typ 109 was exhausting. It just seemed so random whether it worked or not. Then I really need to use it while on holiday a few months ago and it just would not work at all. I spent days trying to connect, seemingly trying everything. After a series of email exchanges with Leica, we finally agreed that the way to connect was not the most intuitive choice at one menu selection point. Since then it has been easier but still not great.

I’m surprised how apps/systems (and their user interfaces) are such a weak point for Leica - and also for Mercedes, some of whose apps are equally difficult to use.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 7:06 PM, MarkHants said:

Much as I love Leica cameras, I have to agree that the Leica Fotos app is ridiculously poor.

It was so difficult to connect the first time that I was reluctant to use it again. Connecting to the D-Lux Typ 109 was exhausting. It just seemed so random whether it worked or not. Then I really need to use it while on holiday a few months ago and it just would not work at all. I spent days trying to connect, seemingly trying everything. After a series of email exchanges with Leica, we finally agreed that the way to connect was not the most intuitive choice at one menu selection point. Since then it has been easier but still not great.

I’m surprised how apps/systems (and their user interfaces) are such a weak point for Leica - and also for Mercedes, some of whose apps are equally difficult to use.

The interface on the screen on my Porsche is also very unreliable and illogically laid out. It also will not connect sometimes but other times connects right away. When I have on occasion phoned their help desk, (UK number but located in Berlin), it seems as if they are using a completely different generation of software to me because none of the menu items agree. They insist I must be mistaken until I have sent them photos of my screen. It took Porsche two and a half years to get the change from MPH to KPH on the digital speedometer to work and with the French authorities removing any driver error margin/allowance on their speed cameras, an accurate KPH speedometer is an essential for driving in France. Germans may be very good at making cars and cameras but it would seem as if software is not their forte.

Wilson

It should be time for Leica to take this Fotos app off the market. Combined with the mediocre implementation of wifi in CL and SL, the whole experience is just embarrassing. 
enough is enough, let’s not kid ourselves. 

Edited by meerec
Corrected a typo