Leica fotos, worst app ever used

Eldad

Actually no way, I've tested Fotos both iOS and Android, geotagging always on or while in app, the satellite icon appears on the camera, but no shot has GPS info.

The camera is an SL2, firmaware 2.0, apps at the last version available.

Was anybody with SL2 able to get geotagged shots via Fotos, or is only me?

Edited by US00678

• 2 weeks later...
Am 30.1.2021 um 16:06 schrieb US00678:

Actually no way, I've tested Fotos both iOS and Android, geotagging always on or while in app, the satellite icon appears on the camera, but no shot has GPS info.

The camera is an SL2, firmaware 2.0, apps at the last version available.

Was anybody with SL2 able to get geotagged shots via Fotos, or is only me?

yes, it works fine, SL2 and iOS (iPhoneX and 12pro). I've never missed GPS data when the icon appeared.

==> how do you transfer from card to PC? maybe this software erases GPS data? Or it is still there and you can't see it, just try something like exiftool.

The only problem, sometimes the SL2 lost the BT connection (some time after the iPhone switched to screen lock); unlocking the iPhone solved this, or just waiting some  time.

HI, I'm running EXIFTOOL, but whenever I try to read GPS data (i.e. exiftool -gpslatitude xxx.jpg or exiftool -gps* xxx.jpg) I get "Bad length ICC_Profile (length 3144)".

Running exiftool without parameters shows the exif data, but no GPS info are there 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb US00678:

HI, I'm running EXIFTOOL, but whenever I try to read GPS data (i.e. exiftool -gpslatitude xxx.jpg or exiftool -gps* xxx.jpg) I get "Bad length ICC_Profile (length 3144)".

Running exiftool without parameters shows the exif data, but no GPS info are there 

...that's very interesting! Until know I didn't use the -gps tag, only running exiftool without parameters. Here's an example (DNG-file from SL2 with GPS-icon).

But when running exiftool -gps don't get any information, nothing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...
Am 8.2.2021 um 13:54 schrieb MediaFotografie:

...that's very interesting! Until know I didn't use the -gps tag, only running exiftool without parameters. Here's an example (DNG-file from SL2 with GPS-icon).

But when running exiftool -gps don't get any information, nothing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Are you invoking exiftool from a Linux (Unix) shell? If, you need to either specify the tag name without spaces (case does not matter), for example,

exiftool -hyperfocaldistance L1000247.DNG

results in 

Hyperfocal Distance             : 35.38 m

If you want all tags starting with 'GPS' you do

exiftool -'GPS*' L1000247.DNG  (or exiftool -"GPS*" L1000247.DNG) to yield

GPS Version ID                  : 2.3.0.0
GPS Latitude Ref                : North
GPS Longitude Ref               : West
GPS Altitude Ref                : Above Sea Level
GPS Time Stamp                  : 13:30:06
GPS Status                      : Measurement Active
GPS Measure Mode                : 3-Dimensional Measurement
GPS Map Datum                   : WGS-84
GPS Date Stamp                  : 2019:04:06
GPS Altitude                    : 0 m Above Sea Level
GPS Date/Time                   : 2019:04:06 13:30:06Z
GPS Latitude                    : 42 deg 20' 28.41" N
GPS Longitude                   : 71 deg 4' 51.90" W
GPS Position                    : 42 deg 20' 28.41" N, 71 deg 4' 51.90" W

Otherwise, the wildcard (*) gets interpreted by the shell, produces an empty string, and exiftool sees the option as -GPS. Since there is no tag literally called "GPS" in the DNG file. you will see nothing:

exiftool -GPS* L1000247.DNG

exiftool: No match.

I hope this helps! - Matti

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

When I bought my SL2 right when it came out i tried it and it worked once with my iPhone and since then it never connected again. Just found out the iPad version is free now so I tried that but doesn’t work either. One look at the reviews shows that it’s not just me or a small amount of people with the same problem. Just a shame how a company this premium advertises such trash software.

Also all of you who defend Leica by saying it works for you are just stupid because how does it make it ok just because you are lucky and it didn’t bug out on you yet.

• Like 1

No matter to get out of control 😉 stupid question, ever restarted your hardware ?  Leica is not and was never famous with its high end performance in software things and should in my opinion collaborate / may be learn with one high end player, fav Apple, but they failed.  If I buyed something as expensive I would check in front if it flies secure, there are no secrets.  Those who are satisfied take it as it is and are may be impressed with other features, may be its possible to take pictures ? Good Luck

On 4/7/2021 at 11:56 AM, vielhilftviel said:

Also all of you who defend Leica by saying it works for you are just stupid because how does it make it ok just because you are lucky and it didn’t bug out on you yet.

If you haven’t already done so, please do a full factory reset of your camera. I’ve noticed some issues like geotagging not working will ONLY be resolved with a full reset of the camera and deleting the connection on the FOTOS app and the camera.

Also rather than calling other people stupid, it may serve you better if you provide more info like what phone, OS version, App version you’re using so we can actually try to help.

Edited by beewee
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2021 at 5:36 AM, beewee said:

If you haven’t already done so, please do a full factory reset of your camera. I’ve noticed some issues like geotagging not working will ONLY be resolved with a full reset of the camera and deleting the connection on the FOTOS app and the camera.

Also rather than calling other people stupid, it may serve you better if you provide more info like what phone, OS version, App version you’re using so we can actually try to help.

Fotos does things to make people unreasonable.  I get pretty good use out of it, but I have had to develop a picture in my head of some of the pits it falls into in order to avoid them.  I don't so much care about "how Leica has messed up" as I am just trying to take pictures with the camera in a place where I can't use the viewfinder, or geotag images.

• Like 1

I'm able to get the app to connect to my iPad Pro but previewing images are soft. The actual RAW images look fine when viewed after I take the shot and view from the library but I need to have a clear look at things in the app before taking the shot and the preview is way too soft.

I contacted Leica about the soft looking preview and they responded but still no fix. They kind of acted like it was just me. I tested this on 2 SL2s and 2 different iPad Pros. 

The other issue is no support for 2 card slots, it disables the 2nd slot. I need the 2nd slot for backup purposes.

The app has potential and would be very useful if functional for professional needs. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb PBart:

I'm able to get the app to connect to my iPad Pro but previewing images are soft. The actual RAW images look fine when viewed after I take the shot and view from the library but I need to have a clear look at things in the app before taking the shot and the preview is way too soft.

I contacted Leica about the soft looking preview and they responded but still no fix. They kind of acted like it was just me. I tested this on 2 SL2s and 2 different iPad Pros. 

The other issue is no support for 2 card slots, it disables the 2nd slot. I need the 2nd slot for backup purposes.

The app has potential and would be very useful if functional for professional needs. 

I use it with the 10-D and it works without any problems. Sometimes the connection is lost but it is reconnected very fast. It is like a tethered shooting if you need it, but I agree with you, on the ipad the previews look very soft. I can use it to control the lights and shadows but not the sharpness.

• Like 1

Am 9.4.2021 um 04:36 schrieb beewee:

Already did multiple restes and disconnected, deleted and reinstalled the app. Doesn’t work on my old iPhone, my new iPhone 12, my iPad Pro. The app is garbage.

I hope that a firmware update will speed up Fotos starting on the M10-R. The Fotos app seems a lot better than it was but still has glitches. Occasionally the camera will not connect direct from the app and you need to first connect to the camera network from iOS Settings/Wi-Fi before the App will link. This seems to happen more with the M10-R than with my SL or CL. 

Wilson

On 4/19/2021 at 11:09 AM, vielhilftviel said:

Already did multiple restes and disconnected, deleted and reinstalled the app. Doesn’t work on my old iPhone, my new iPhone 12, my iPad Pro. The app is garbage.

If multiple users manage to connect to and use the app, I wonder where the fault lies.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the OP on the Leica FOTOS app. I had hoped to do some nature photography on vacation. I downloaded the Leica FOTOS app (v. 2.3.0) to my iPhone 12 (iOS 14.5.1). I scanned the QR code, but my phone weirdly replies "No usable data found." The camera showed up in my list of wi-fi connections for an instant but disappeared as I was looking at it. I have deleted and reinstalled the Leica FOTOS app several times on my phone, I have rebooted my phone repeatedly. I have turned off and turned on the camera over and over, hoping that some connection would be established. Finally, I tried downloading and reinstalling the firmware (v 4.0) but I got a message that "Update file is same version as current firmware." I have reset the camera more than once. The Apple website says the CL is supported. I've watched the YouTube.

The camera tries to connect whenever I launch the Leica FOTOS app. "Leica FOTOS" wants to join wi-fi network "Leica CL-XXXXXXX." I click "Join," which is almost immediately followed by a message that the camera is "Unable to join the network Leica CL-XXXXXXX." The the process repeats itself ad infinitum. When I tire of the process and cancel it, I get a message that the camera "Could not connect. Check camera wi-fi is enabled and try again." Then the aggravating routine begins anew. I should say that for a brief, shining moment this afternoon the app worked and I was able to access the "Remote" function through my iPhone. Wonderful. It stayed on for a few minutes, then I got a call and had to get out of the app. When I went back to the app it was misbehaving precisely as before.

I have slogged through numerous videos and read a bunch of guides to setting up a CL with the Leica FOTOS app. None of them provided an answer. I have worked with all kinds of software on a huge number of platforms over the last 40 years or so, but this one has me stumped. I cannot figure out if the issue is with my iPhone, my camera, or both. Can anyone offer an explanation or a simple step-by-step guide to connecting this camera to this app?

Thanks.

Allan

Allan, 

I think you probably need to pay a visit to your nearest Leica dealer and demonstrate the problem to them. A member of staff will have an iOS device with Fotos installed and with that, you can find if the problem lies with your iOS device, the app or the camera. I suspect the wifi or transmission aerial in your camera is faulty, if you can access other wireless networks with your iOS device/iPhone with no  problems. I know the Fotos app is far from perfect and its implementation in the cameras is not wonderful (my M10-R can take up to 45 seconds to initialise) but it is not as bad generally as the experience you are having.

My pet beef is that Leica deleted the ability of the cameras to connect to an existing network and showed you the connected local IP address on the back LCD screen. If you then entered that IP address into a browser, you could access the JPEG's saved on the SD card in the camera or on the SL601, SD Card #1 as a series of thumbnails, which you could expand and then download - very useful. Nobody at Leica has given me a satisfactory explanation as to why they deleted this function and as the technical manager at Leica UK put it to me about the deletion: "Just ****ing stupid and someone at Wetzlar has their head right up their ****".  For a long time, the menu item to connect to an existing network was still present but as a dead function. I have not checked recently but it may still be there on my M240, CL and SL. I don't think that function was ever present by the time the M10 came out. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw