Leica fotos, worst app ever used

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Honestly, probably the worst app I have ever used!

I really don’t understand Leica’s poor performance in this area, did they pick up a high school student with a month practice on swift to write the app? 
the implementation is just disgraceful, and I’m not even talking about the subscription part of it. Forget the fact I paid $$$$$ to get this ridiculous app.

here’s a suggestion, put it out on fiverr, Someone will build a better one for $500!

(I’ll be happy to finance this)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly, probably the worst app I have ever used! I really don’t understand Leica’s poor performance in this area, did they pick up a high school student with a month practice on swift to write the app?  the implementation is just disgraceful, and I’m not even talking about the subscription part of it. Forget the fact I paid $$$$$ to get this ridiculous app. here’s a suggestion, put it out on fiverr, Someone will build a better one for $500! (I’ll be happy to finance this)

Works just fine for me, no better or worse than equivalent apps from other brands. I never went for the subscription variant.

Fotos is not perfect I suppose... nevertheless, I'm happy with Fotos. For it comes in handy when I want to share a photo or two with my family or trigger my camera remotely.  It is not the worse app I've ever used. When I look at Apple's App Store and see the many, many Apps I have used over the years, I discover I have been disappointed often. Fotos is not even close to being the worse App I have ever used. In fact I think it is very useful. Just IMHO. 

Posted Images

I am perfectly happy with the Leica Fotos App. Works perfectly to get quickly OOC jpegs onto my iPad, with no Problem at all, from my SL and M10M.

It allows me to quickly share pictures when needed.

For DNGs, I exclusively use my laptop, so I don’t use Leica Fotos but a card reader.

Didier

Fotos is not perfect I suppose... nevertheless, I'm happy with Fotos. For it comes in handy when I want to share a photo or two with my family or trigger my camera remotely.  It is not the worse app I've ever used. When I look at Apple's App Store and see the many, many Apps I have used over the years, I discover I have been disappointed often. Fotos is not even close to being the worse App I have ever used. In fact I think it is very useful. Just IMHO. 

Edited by Jeffry Abt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The app worked for me once. I spent an hour trying to connect with no success, nothing has. Changed in my settings.

it is slow and unreliable, happy it’s working for some of you. It I still think this app is missing the mark on communication with the camera (SL2 in my case).

it has 1 star ratings on the App Store, with enough bad ratings, Apple would remove it altogether.

Edited by Eldad

I was about starting to chime into the rant ... but then I quickly checked the AppStore and found a rating which did not match my experience. So - much better now. Can use it on my iPad. Big difference.

I must agree to @Eldad - with my SL the connection to the Leica Fotos App is a gambling / game of luck. Sometimes the connection starts immediately - sometimes there is no chance to get ist started (evan after 3230 trials / 131 restarts). Sometimes - when my Leica SL is connected - I can only choose jpegs to transmit, sometimes only raws, sometimes only preview pictures, sometimes I can choose all of them.

Last but not least - the data exchange is so slow - every jpeg needs 1 minute or more - it's a tragedy. A quick picture transfer to send a view pictures to the iPhone - to distribute them to a view friends - no chance. 

Edited by toobin
mistake

It's working for me this morning, with an Android app, which is usually the flakier of the two OSes.  Of course I recently abandoned my nice small but very old Android 5 phone for a bigger, fancier Android 10 phone (on which Fotos didn't work at all for several releases).  Maybe it is now time for me to learn how to share a shot over WhatsApp.

I'm coming around to the view that Leica, who probably has to depend heavily of on subcontractors or new people for this sort of thing, is converging on the "no better, but no worse" level of performance with its apps.  Where I think the focus should be is on splitting functions between the telcos (time, gps location, sharing) and the camera.  This goes mostly  over low power BlueTooth, which can run all day without exhausting batteries, but requires managing keep-alives and time-outs on both sides of the operation.  This is even harder than making the initial connection work smoothly.

• 1 month later...

I am disappointed.

Own a Leica D-Lux 7’purchased in hope of transitioning into the possibility of seamless camera to iOS device exchange of photographs Looong story. Can’t make it work... 

Any tips on any other solution to transfer my photos to iPhone or iPad? Any other software combinations available? 

Do I necessarily  need to use this unreliable and unstable Leica Fotos app?

I would really appreciate some input from this forum. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Android or iOS?  With Android  2.0.4 I wasn't getting GPS transferred to an SL2-S until I went to the Fotos App, and tapped the camera list entry for my SL2S.  Touching the triple dots brought down three settings.  It turned out GPS was off there.  Turning it on for all sessions solved the problem.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick