Leica Q2 Monochrom - Image Thread

RobM

Manx 2,  messing about in LR

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

RC166 250cc 6 cylinder, ridden by Mike Hailwood (Mike the Bike)

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Casakleinhuis said:

Insomnia

Intrigued ...any back story? Meta shows f2.2 1/50sec ISO 16000 but was there any post stuff you ran? I particularly like the specific grey tones high up in the central tree as the mist takes its toll on the lighting levels. Was the ambient noise as softly quiet and still as it looks? OK, what I really want to know is how did you feel after returning from the abduction 👻

6 hours ago, piran said:

Intrigued ...any back story? Meta shows f2.2 1/50sec ISO 16000 but was there any post stuff you ran? I particularly like the specific grey tones high up in the central tree as the mist takes its toll on the lighting levels. Was the ambient noise as softly quiet and still as it looks? OK, what I really want to know is how did you feel after returning from the abduction 👻

Haha, they brought me back in one piece:) Now i have to remind what i did in post (i always use Lightroom)....i added a little bit of black, and pulled out a tiny bit of highlights (there's not much room for playing with that with the Q2M). I had the camera set for auto iso, so yes, it picked 16.000 ISO. Yes, the ambient noise was quiet like that. I have another photo in this topic somewhere that shows the same spot with snow falling. 

• Like 1

The skates of a reed cutter from Giethoorn, The Netherlands

• Like 15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Casakleinhuis said:

Haha, they brought me back in one piece:) Now i have to remind what i did in post (i always use Lightroom)....i added a little bit of black, and pulled out a tiny bit of highlights (there's not much room for playing with that with the Q2M). I had the camera set for auto iso, so yes, it picked 16.000 ISO. Yes, the ambient noise was quiet like that. I have another photo in this topic somewhere that shows the same spot with snow falling

Found it <here>... as you can see, 'they' will keep luring  you back 👻

26 minutes ago, fotografr said:

So, you put them all in jail? 🤔

Yup, they luv it. It's got a completely open bottom - imagine an upside down 'U' with lots of sparrow/tit sized holes in the sides of a galvanised wire mesh barrel - all suspended on a gallows-like arm to deter an opportunistic squirrel from the well-filled high protein nut bank. When I installed my home-made design (decades ago) it took the yellow tits less than 20secs to work out how to get in and start feeding! They just 'got it' - intelligent and brilliant flyers. A few hours later the first sparrow learnt off the tits. Each generation of sparrows teaches its chicks who usually just sit on the top and wait for the parent to make a withdrawal from the nut bank and then feed them. Apparently the sparrow population is generally on the decline... not here in this village.

Edited by piran
Actually the gallows arm was to stop the cats (squirrels traverse the arm, down the outside, around the bottom edge, then up the inside but are foiled by the nut bank mesh which needs a beak).

3 hours ago, piran said:

Yup, they luv it. It's got a completely open bottom - imagine an upside down 'U' with lots of sparrow/tit sized holes in the sides of a galvanised wire mesh barrel - all suspended on a gallows-like arm to deter an opportunistic squirrel from the well-filled high protein nut bank. When I installed my home-made design (decades ago) it took the yellow tits less than 20secs to work out how to get in and start feeding! They just 'got it' - intelligent and brilliant flyers. A few hours later the first sparrow learnt off the tits. Each generation of sparrows teaches its chicks who usually just sit on the top and wait for the parent to make a withdrawal from the nut bank and then feed them. Apparently the sparrow population is generally on the decline... not here in this village.

Got a photo? Sounds interesting.

11 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Got a photo? Sounds interesting.

Mmmm... it looks somewhat manky after well over two decades outside with zero maintenance - guano aside which is otherwise really excellent for the front garden's soil.

That slavering sparrowhawk sitting will take some finding - think it's on film/print little of which I've yet got indexed (got plenty of square tuits but fresh out of those rare round tuits).

The 28mm of my Q and Q2M doesn't let me get close enough without stressing the sparrows particularly which are effectively semi-trapped. The tits just duck out underneath with their brilliantly acrobatic flying. When I'm out gardening, if I don't look directly at them, they will tolerate my presence but historically I've found all my lenses 'look like' eyes (particularly my old favourite f2.8 70-200 USM L Canon) and they take fright. It's not nice seeing them go into a panic inside my feeder enclosure so I really avoid it.

In a couple of months they'll be more desperate for food (feeding chicks) and I'll look to set myself up in a static out-of-the-way position behind some camellia bushes. However there's a nest or few in the eaves from which various lookout sparrows start 'alarm calling' from the gutters... they're not stupid. May be able to find an old Canon shot to put into my member's galley slot. I'll also see if a max crop on the MONOCHROM might cut it.

Currently (!puny!) busy charging batteries - all of them - for everything. The village's power supply is being cut for planned maintenance - maybe two days. Need fresh plunger coffee stocks 😬 muchly. My four UPSs (!) won't survive THAT sort of outage. My trusty Linux servers and optical broadband will get first dibs on anything available. 

• Thanks 1

Q2, ISO 100, 1/1000, f1.7 ,  

• Like 10

feeder - Q2M making a 'photocopy' of an 70s print using a bedside light for illumination - handheld - warts 'n all - LEICA Q2 MONO - ISO800 1-30 sec f4 2021-03-23 19.53.25

@fotografr ...as requested (until I can do better in due course) - original print from the 1970s with an Olympus OM(x) and ?70-150? zoom.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ems learning with my Q2 . . . she is going to be a good photographer!

• Like 13

2 hours ago, piran said:

feeder - Q2M making a 'photocopy' of an 70s print using a bedside light for illumination - handheld - warts 'n all - LEICA Q2 MONO - ISO800 1-30 sec f4 2021-03-23 19.53.25

@fotografr ...as requested (until I can do better in due course) - original print from the 1970s with an Olympus OM(x) and ?70-150? zoom.

That looks great. Thanks for posting it. Let's get a patent. 

What happens at my feeder is that a lot of birds feed on the ground on the seeds that fall there and that's usually where the hawk nails them. Either that or the hawk plays a waiting game by sitting nearby and catching them when they fly off. The hawk is a skillful predetor. 

• Like 1

Behind Enemy Lines

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fotografr said:

That looks great. Thanks for posting it. Let's get a patent. 

What happens at my feeder is that a lot of birds feed on the ground on the seeds that fall there and that's usually where the hawk nails them. Either that or the hawk plays a waiting game by sitting nearby and catching them when they fly off. The hawk is a skillful predetor. 

Found an old circa 1975 photo print in a shoebox and used the Q2M to quickly 'photo' 'copy' it.

The cage was really cheap to make from stuff out of a DIY shop. Biggest 'cost' was my time bending and reaming out the sized openings carefully without leaving sharp cuts or messing with the galvanisation. It's now almost three decades old. The feeder is stainless steel. Everything lasts so long there's no scope for return sales footfall or replacement profits. A patent would probably be too expensive to hold and defend even though the idea & design is entirely from my own observations. Stopped using seeds as those dropped tended to grow into grasses providing cover for the cats.

I have lots of nearby spaced out bushes with deliberately high crowns to reduce feline sight lines and plenty of year round foliage (camellias) to provide canopy cover in amongst their branches. As I'm the one attracting the birds it's my responsibility to ensure their safety. Always know when its raining as the chatter level goes up when they noisily congregate in the drier canopy. Unfortunately I love cats too... and my birds chatter so much that they are a bit of a cat magnet. The restricted sightlines also stop hawks & buzzards swooping and diving, they just land on the various arbours and look on enviously while all the lookouts go bananas. Some jackdaws in one of the chimneys join in enthusiastically.  I keep the groundings clear so the dunnocks, blackbirds, thrushes, robins and similar get to clean up the dropped nut pieces. I tend to 'work things out' my way:-)

Will keep an eye out for a Leica-based opportunity but it won't be anytime soon. G'night.

Edited by piran
typo/eyesight :-|
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1