To trade or not to trade......

Ktsa5239

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry for another M10 to M10R post...

In Australia, the trade in is fairly costly. I could potentially trade my M10 and the 16-18-21 WATE (used twice in the last 2 years) for the M10R, I'll still need to top up 3k so its a rather substantial investment. 

Ive hopped onto the SL2 earlier in the year, while it opened up new opportunities like long lenses for birds and macro for floral. I cant help but feel its not giving me the same experience I got from the M. I also find it too heavy as a system to carry for long hikes and trips and I really miss the M at those times.

The reason I really want to upgrade are:

1) Higher Dynamic Range (from reviews and photo samples)

2) Better highlight recovery (from reviews and photo samples)

3) Ability to crop with higher MP so I could travel with just a 35mm and maybe a 90mm 

The reasons against it:

1) Tie up a whole bunch of funds (I can only afford to this once really so if anything new comes along I wont be able to afford it) 

2) About the same sensor MP count as SL2 

3) M11 might have ibis.... or what if CL2 comes along with EVF and ibis and light 

Oh man....what should I do.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

In Australia, the trade in is fairly costly. I could potentially trade my M10 and the 16-18-21 WATE (used twice in the last 2 years) for the M10R, I'll still need to top up 3k so its a rather substantial investment. 

Ive hopped onto the SL2 earlier in the year, while it opened up new opportunities like long lenses for birds and macro for floral. I cant help but feel its not giving me the same experience I got from the M. I also find it too heavy as a system to carry for long hikes and trips and I really miss the M at those times.

1) Higher Dynamic Range (from reviews and photo samples)

2) Better highlight recovery (from reviews and photo samples)

3) Ability to crop with higher MP so I could travel with just a 35mm and maybe a 90mm 

The reasons against it:

1) Tie up a whole bunch of funds (I can only afford to this once really so if anything new comes along I wont be able to afford it) 

3) M11 might have ibis.... or what if CL2 comes along with EVF and ibis and light 

Time heals even the most severe GAS !

I don't think I've read many comments that don't praise the M10-R, highly. Many of us already know the M10 form factor is a beauty to behold and to use and now with an even better sensor that ups the DR and highlight recovery in the -R...all very compelling for those of us that appreciate such things. 

But when push comes to shove aka the M10-R price tag, I do wonder what many who do take the plunge is doing with the slightly better DR, Highlight Recovery, more pixels and and as some claim, better skin tones? Surely these nuanced improvements can't be wasted on just posting severely downsized jpeg files to the forum or to show friends and family on our smart phones or social media. Trust me, I do love to pixel peep all the MPs and marvel at all the detail I can snatch out of the shadows in post, but then what? 

BTW, I think your current setup of the SL2 and the M10 is more than a fine even enviable kit. You get your high MP fix with the SL2 and your Rangefinder fix with your humble 24MP M10 wink, wink. My guess is you've got some beautiful SL and M glass too. 

Also, keep in mind that our shops easy trade in programs = the ability to make even more money on us twice 🤔. If you can, resell any gear you don't use or want yourself is almost always a better ROI than trade-ins. Of course selling used gear can also be a PITA, but if you are not happy with your SL2, M10 and WATE, then I'd say you can raise some serious cash by selling these yourself.

• Like 2

If you feel you really need the R, get one.

Personally I'd wait for the M11 to arrive and see if that's worth upgrading to. In the meantime make lots of great pictures with your still wonderful M10 and save a load of money, for now. It's of course about the photographer, not so much the sensor tech.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

Take pictures.  Make prints.

The M10 is a terrific camera, fully capable of producing excellent files.

Regarding your #3 reason to switch, you apparently won’t have any money left to travel anyway.

GAS overrides logic and practicality.

Jeff

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Will you take better pictures with an R?  If so, buy one; if not, don't.

Frankly, I look at it the same way I look at guitars...does anybody listen to some great guitarist and then say, "Well, that was pretty good but think how much better it would have sounded on a [insert brand name] guitar!"  No, they don't.  In fact it's pretty much the opposite.  Any great artist can use any guitar (or piano, or violin, etc) and still sound like they sound. ;)  

• Like 1

I made the trade from an M10 to an M10-R, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  It's the best Leica I've ever owned, and I started with an M3, which I still have and use.

Do I take better pictures with an M10-R? Who knows, but I do enjoy having the M10-R, and I've been exceptionally pleased with the images it produces -- even though the M10 likely would have given me similar results in most cases.  It's an individual decision that comes down to what equipment you enjoy using (not necessarily "need") and what your own circumstances are.  Thankfully, not all decision in life are driven by what we "need."

Edited by jwr50

9 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

In Australia, the trade in is fairly costly. I could potentially trade my M10 and the 16-18-21 WATE (used twice in the last 2 years) for the M10R

I feel your pain :). I'm wrestling with a similar quandary myself.

Ive hopped onto the SL2 earlier in the year,............................................... I cant help but feel its not giving me the same experience I got from the M. I also find it too heavy as a system to carry for long hikes and trips and I really miss the M at those times.

Similar situation.  I recently bought into my 4th medium format system.  I understand heavy :)

Been experimenting with such a thing myself.  I used an M240 and a 28, 50, and a 90 the last time we went to France.  Much more pleasant than a pro body Nikon and three pro zooms.  We do mostly castles, cathedrals, ruins, that sort of thing.  24mp was sufficient for the things I wanted to crop, but not enough for architectural details.

I'm probably going to try something similar with a Hasselblad X1d II and a 45, 65, and 90.  Hopefully, the larger sensor will partially make up for lack of a really long lens.

The reasons against it:

1) ....................................if anything new comes along I wont be able to afford it) 

Yeah you will.  Trust me :)  You'll think of something :)

Or what if somebody developed a 28 - 300 f1.2 superzoom about the size of a beer can with light weight and excellent image quality :)

Buy something you can use TODAY, not in 4 years.

Buy Baby, Buy.  Support your local economy. :)

Edited by Good To Be Retired

JMHO:

The M11 is a non-factor until Leica actually releases it.  We cannot predict when that will be.  Make your decisions based on the present, not the pie in the sky future release of the M11.

If you like to make large (bigger than 16x24 inch) prints, upgrading to the the M10R is worth considering.  If all you ever do is post images online and email them to friends, the M10R would be a very costly case of overkill.

If you are forced to choose between upgrading and being able to afford to travel and make new and interesting images - choose travel.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 1

For me upgrading to an M10R from an M10P (and I traded my Q2 for further glass) was really the right thing to do for all the reasons already stated above, like you I have an SL2 also so the M10R upgrade squeezed out my Q2 as it was really was just too middle ground for me. Sometimes if I don't want to take an SL APO f2 lens I just put one of my M lenses on the SL2 and that works well for a lighter setup when you need it. I really love the fact that my M10R (& M10M) & SL2 all now have high resolution sensors and it often means I now travel (or walk is better description in current lockdowns!!) with just one M lens instead of two often before e.g. when I used to take a 35 & 50 I now just take the 35 so my kit has got lighter as result of the M10R purchase as well.

The M10R is really superb and I'd just go for it, I can't see an M11 for at least a 18 months to two years minimum now.

You guys are right that this could be a serious case of GAS! I dont see myself ever printing big, so the only use for the large MP is mainly for cropping. 

I think I might keep my M10 and just save up for the M10R slowly (most likely going to take about 8 months to a year of intense saving!) Mainwhile, back to SL2 with M adapter !

• Like 3

Oh, and you forgot to mention another important reason to upgrade. The extremely good low capabilities of the R. WAY WAY better than the P. 

Here's a shot I just took at night, handheld, while moving. Perfectly clean image. The slight grain, I added in post processing. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

I was shooting years ago with a Nikon D810 as the primary camera. I was happy, but something was missing: a better AF, faster response, better low light performance. I was needing a quicker camera to be sure I don't lose moments. I mean, being faster so I can do a better job to tell a story, according to my way to shoot. I was looking for a much faster camera, this was my priority.
I traded, paid the difference, and it was the smart solutions. My photography improved, I'm faster with this camera, and I can't ask for more ... Except weight and size 😂 it. Although it was launched in January 2016 and the only 20MP, it's still my primary camera.
I don't know your photography style and your needs, but reading your post can say only two things: First, don't trade it. Keep what you have and use it. A camera is just a tool, the story is in front of you, and everything else is still in your mind. But with your current camera, you probably have already everything that you need

17 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

... and the 16-18-21 WATE (used twice in the last 2 years)

The second is ... Use more often the WATE! Once every year, it's no good at all. If you already have an expensive-amazing lens, use it. Instead of worrying about a better camera, use the gear you already have, and grow as a photographer. When you know the specific features you REALLY need, you will then find the perfect camera. IMHO, it's time to use what you already have.

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Steven said:

Oh, and you forgot to mention another important reason to upgrade. The extremely good low capabilities of the R. WAY WAY better than the P. 

Here's a shot I just took at night, handheld, while moving. Perfectly clean image. The slight grain, I added in post processing. 

Oh man ! Photos like this double down on the GAS ! I cant get that sort of crisp shot in low light with my M10. But I think much of that comes down to my poor skills.....

I originally got the WATE for landscape work but kinda regret it after using it once and just preferred a 35 for everything. In my head I know I dont need the new sensor but I just really really really want it :P

Edited by Ktsa5239
  • Like 1

There lies the ‘Leica problem’ in that much as I loved my M10P having got an R I couldn’t go back. Why - well yes it does asssit you in taking better shots in a number of ways already mentioned and in Jono’s excellent review as well for example. However, it also ‘inspires’ you to get out and use and endeavour to be a better photographer. I’ve also found it liberating just to pick up my 28, 35, 75 or 50 only instead of perhaps taking two lenses for the day, low light appears to be better, managing highlights are definitely better than the M10P etc which you can read elsewhere as well.

As an SL2 user as well I’d suggest you just watch Hugh’s YouTube video around using the M10R and SL2. He’s pretty clear on why it inspired him and why he feels he got better shots with the M10R than the M10P he’d been lent by Leica previously, therefore he wants one.

Edited by SJH

Another fantastic, very underrated feature of the R is the base ISO at 1000. When on a bright day I shot at 4000 with my P, I am now shooting at 2000 (correct me if im wrong ?) which means less need to ND filters. This is a game changer for me (while we wait for a 1/8000 shutter speed, on the M11 hopefully)

11 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

Oh man ! Photos like this double down on the GAS ! I cant get that sort of crisp shot in low light with my M10. But I think much of that comes down to my poor skills.....

I originally got the WATE for landscape work but kinda regret it after using it once and just preferred a 35 for everything. In my head I know I dont need the new sensor but I just really really really want it :P

You are not alone. Once we learn to appreciate Leica cameras and lenses and in my case the Leica M experience and IQ, hard not to do whatever it takes to get the latest greatest Leica camera and lens. My current dream list:

1. SL2 + SL 35/2 APO. I don't want any other current SL lens. Just the 35/2 APO and I'll buy the SL2 just to accommodate the 35/2 APO. Madness--but this is a "dream" list ha ha

2. M10-R. I already have all the Leica M lenses I want/need so just a matter of time or right opportunity before I upgrade M10 to M10R. However, every time I edit my 24Mp images on my pixel busting iMac 5K Retina, I fall in love with 24 M10 MPs all over again so I am in no hurry. 

One of my latest favorite 24MP images with THE f0,95 lens

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 6