2021 Athens One Challenge - Save The Date

andybarton

4 hours ago, andybarton said:

Will just have to do both. 

I have never been to the Lincolnshire coast and don’t know the Yorkshire coast north of the Humber very well. 

Well, we did have the second seaside challenge at Whitby, and Steve's picture of The Granby mixed grill will go down in the Forum annals.

I remember when I was reccying out The Granby, one of the locals in the pub warned me that, as it was Whitby, the beer was expensive. Then, when we met up, Nick de Marco was amazed and said to the effect that he had just bought a round of drinks for less than twenty quid.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, masjah said:

Well, we did have the second seaside challenge at Whitby, and Steve's picture of The Granby mixed grill will go down in the Forum annals.

I remember when I was reccying out The Granby, one of the locals in the pub warned me that, as it was Whitby, the beer was expensive. Then, when we met up, Nick de Marco was amazed and said to the effect that he had just bought a round of drinks for less than twenty quid.

I still have a mixture of admiration and horror about that mixed grill. I reckon it could have fed a family of four for a week.

Once the current horror is over I’ll try to organise another seaside challenge in Blackpool.

Edited by stunsworth
  • Like 7

About the Covid passport, regardless of Greece stand on the matter, it will prove to be necessary to have one: I believe many countries and air companies will enact their own rules and it will become so complicated that it will be easier to have one. I don't see any problem with that policy: to get your child registered in school in France, you need to present the vaccination certificate for a dozen disease. What form will it take is another matter...

Human nature being what it is, I see a surge of fake passports.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, octo said:

to get your child registered in school in France, you need to present the vaccination certificate for a dozen disease

Moved to live in France with 2 kids (6 and 9 yrs) 1989 - the local village doctor produced and signed all necessary papers in 5 minutes - no questions asked...😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 11:58 PM, masjah said:

.... Then, when we met up, Nick de Marco was amazed and said to the effect that he had just bought a round of drinks for less than twenty quid.

Bloody Londoners! I bet the only chardonnay in the round was his! 

• Haha 3

With all the positive comments about travel in October I thought I'd best start getting the Land Rover ready for the Athens Challenge.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

If anyone is considering driving, the ferry from Bari in the south east of Italy to Patras in Greece avoids a number of potential problems with car insurance. Many UK and European motor insurance policies do not cover driving in Serbia or North Macedonia. We had this problem 18 months ago in Bosnia, where we had to buy third party only insurance at the border from Croatia. The information on doing this was mostly incorrect and we wasted a day looking for non-existent local insurance offices in Croatia to buy the insurance in advance. We then went to the wrong border post to buy at the border, where the insurance office had been closed 2 years previously but was still shown as current on the Bosnian government website. As a result we kept our driving in Bosnia to the absolute minimum and left our car at a hotel in Mostar and then used trains. It is just over 2 hours drive from Patras to Athens. 

Wilson

• Like 2

Much as I love driving it on the continent, and it would be a great drive, the thought of driving my car in Athens after 47 hours of actual driving and ferry to get there (via Brindisi), doesn't fill my heart with love and joy, I have to say. :) Sensibly, that's 5 days driving at best. and 5 days drive home. I can guarantee that I would be on my own if I proposed that...

We are extending our stay for a few days (on the assumption that we are going at all), and I will be hiring a car from the airport, rather than the city centre. We hired a car from the city centre in Palermo when we went for a challenge there, so that we could visit the best Greek temple in the world about an hour's drive away. It was an absolute nightmare.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Andy, 

For the Bari-Patras ferry, I was more thinking of folks like me who could be coming from the south of France, Switzerland or Italy, rather than the UK. I drove in September 2019, from France via Ancona in Italy, then the ferry to Split, Croatia to meet my wife in Dubrovnik.She had been on a week long cycle tour in Croatia. Even for that length of drive, I had one overnight stay on the way down and on the way back we stayed in a hotel in Ancona, as the ferry back from Split arrived at 23.00 and then had a couple of nights with friends near Perugia. With the bridge on the A10 now rebuilt at Genoa, this is easier than when I went. Then, the diversions were exceedingly badly and confusingly signposted and having missed a concealed turn off on a one way road, which went on for a further 70km, I reckon the absence of the bridge cost nearly 2 hours on the way down and an hour and a half on the way back with the congestion on the unsuitable diversion roads. 

Wilson

• Like 2

That's good information about the ferries - it turns the drive into a relatively benign exercise running from Paris to southern Italy, comparable with the drive to Seville in 1999.

It resolves the complications of running through Kosovo and Bosnia nicely and saves the longer northern route down through Hungary and Romania

3 hours ago, robert_parker said:

That's good information about the ferries - it turns the drive into a relatively benign exercise running from Paris to southern Italy, comparable with the drive to Seville in 1999.

It resolves the complications of running through Kosovo and Bosnia nicely and saves the longer northern route down through Hungary and Romania

The Autoput bratstva i jedinstva has quite a reputation, but with very much time at hand, I would imagine driving down the coast could be a very scenic drive.

Stefan

• Thanks 1

I was pleasantly surprised how good and courteous driving standards were in both Croatia and Bosnia, having heard rumours to the contrary. I am not sure this would apply to Montenegro and Albania. There is no major coastal road much south of Dubrovnik, Croatia.From Dubrovnik northwards, the coastal road is mostly very good, with a lot of improvement works either recently completed or under way (in 2019). Most of the minor roads in Bosnia were not in good condition, I suspect having had little in the way of maintenance since the breakup of Yugoslavia, close to 30 years ago.The major roads in Bosnia were OK albeit a bit patchwork. I would guess that the roads in Montenegro would be in a similar state to Bosnia, with similar roads in Albania probably never having been in good condition. I don't think Enver Hoxha was a keen motorist. Daylight headlights are either compulsory or the norm in Balkan states. 

Wilson

• Thanks 2

Jaap, 

I think it is now Venice to Patras but that is only a bit over 2 hours drive to Athens. From what I remember in 1981, it is a spectacular drive alongside the south coast of the Ionian sea and you then cross the Corinth Canal. If we go, we might stop in Venice on the way back if the weather is nice. The four days we had there a few years ago, it poured with rain the whole time. After two days we had to buy new shoes as ours were sodden. Also the Lido front hotel we had booked in was being rebuilt and we were moved to a dingy annexe down a side street. The ferry is not cheap. It costs €1002 or a bit less with early booking but in today's climate that is very risky. Flying Aegean Nice to Athens is just £227 return. 

Wilson

• Like 2

If you do stop in Venice I would highly recommend staying in the city and not the lido. The experience just isn’t the same. 

The best hotel we have stayed in was the Palazzo Stern, but we have stayed at the San Cassiano twice now, and that is very handy for the Rialto market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2