andybarton

2021 Athens One Challenge - Save The Date

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Andy.

Hotels look to be a good value in October and a few over look the Acropolis.  I had not thought of renting a home or B&Bs.  Thanks for the heads up about the Monastiraki Square.  

Decisions decisions. 

Sleezyjet fly only on Mondays and Fridays; Weekend of Friday to Monday or a full week of Monday to Monday trip? 

Bring the family from Monday to Friday (school starts on Monday) or let them have a day off on Monday? 

Apartments seem to be plentiful and pleasant; but size all depends upon family coming or not ... and they are notorious for not making up their mind. 

I am looking forward to it already! 

One week booked from Monday to Monday in an apartment in Psirri which boasts a view of the Acropolis. Family undecided. I will wait for Easyjet booking ... their cancellation terms are not as friendly as the apartments. 

Edit. Booked flights too, it is a ridiculous low price which I can lose if work commitments change. 

Edited by Sandokan

8 hours ago, Sandokan said:

One week booked from Monday to Monday in an apartment in Psirri which boasts a view of the Acropolis. Family undecided. I will wait for Easyjet booking ... their cancellation terms are not as friendly as the apartments. 

Edit. Booked flights too, it is a ridiculous low price which I can lose if work commitments change. 

Did you happen to compare hotel prices to apartments?  What service did you use to find and book the apartment?  AirBNB?

I doubt that I’ll be taking part this year, but if you’re in Athens for any length of time try visiting one of the nearer island. They can be done as a day trip and makes a pleasant change from hectic Athens. Of course a lot of islands will be very quiet in October, but that could be a good thing.

My favourites are Aegina and Poros, but if the fast cats are running it’s under two hours to Hydra, which is what everyone thinks a small Greek island should look like. Aegina has an amazing Greek temple in between the main town and the resort of Agia Marina, a real 5* attraction...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Aphaea

I heard that the challenge is only one part of the meeting. Is there some information or a another thread about the whole meeting?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In case anyone in the UK is  interested the Kindle edition John Fowler’s novel ‘The Magus’ is just 99p today...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0048EK3VK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s set mainly on the island of Spetses, not too far from Athens, where Fowles taught English in the early 50s. In the novel the main character stays in the Hotel Grande Bretagne when in Athens. I’ve never stayed there, but it’s location on Syntagma Square is superb.

https://www.grandluxuryhotels.com/hotel/hotel-grande-bretagne

2 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

I heard that the challenge is only one part of the meeting. Is there some information or a another thread about the whole meeting?

Tom

If previous "normal" years are anything to go by, most people arrive a day or two earlier, on the Thursday or Friday (although it has been known for people to fly in and back home again on the same day). Mrs Barton and I tend to travel on the Thursday, so that we have Friday to visit the city we are in, and quietly scout for a decent photo opportunity. Some members meet up for beers and dinner on the Thursday and Friday evenings, but since the weekend is nearly always our anniversary, we tend to be miserable and eat alone :)

On the Saturday, we meet up for lunch at a cafe (TBC), the €10 entry fee is put into a pot and the camera/film/ISO/lens combination are declared. Then everyone heads out to take their 36 shots.

In the evening, if it can be arranged, we try to have a dinner for those that want and then, again, some members take part in the Night Challenge on the way home.

Sobriety is the order of the day, obviously.

Then, on the Sunday, once the sobriety has worn off, people go home, meet up, or go on somewhere else.

It is a very sociable few days, with The Challenge being the excuse to get together and the chance to win the price of your hotel room back (depending on home many people take part and put their €10 in).

41 minutes ago, stunsworth said:

In the novel the main character stays in the Hotel Grande Bretagne when in Athens. I’ve never stayed there, but it’s location on Syntagma Square is superb.

https://www.grandluxuryhotels.com/hotel/hotel-grande-bretagne

I'll never stay there either :)

Have just booked what looks like a really nice apartment, Acropolis view, for £70/night.

Greece is very cheap at the moment.