2021 Athens One Challenge - Save The Date

andybarton

Here are the instructions from Rome, a couple of years ago.

Cross out "Rome" and add in "Athens" and you will be 94.5% there :)

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/276010-rome-thank-you-one-challenge-2017/

Post 2 there has a link to a pdf of the instructions. We meet at lunchtime to have a bite and a glass of something, and put the €10 entry fee into a pot, then most people re-convene in the evening for a forum dinner.

It's a very social gathering and always good to meet new friends. 

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just booked our flights from London to Athens next October. There were only two Avios redemption seats available on the dates and times that I wanted, so it was now or potentially never.

Using a 2-4-1 Companion voucher, I have just paid £100 + 34,000 Avios for two business class seats. Given that we will never be flying long haul again, so don't need a couple of hundred thousand Avios sitting there, I reckon that's pretty good. The cash price for the exact same tickets would be... wait for it... wait for it... £3,200 !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope we can travel freely by next October but I honestly wouldn't bet my savings on it. I've also still got to find a new home and there's all sorts of uncertainty with the work situation right now so I will have to wait and see how things pan out, but I hope I'm there with you all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 11:43 AM, andybarton said:

I have just booked our flights from London to Athens next October. There were only two Avios redemption seats available on the dates and times that I wanted, so it was now or potentially never.

Using a 2-4-1 Companion voucher, I have just paid £100 + 34,000 Avios for two business class seats. Given that we will never be flying long haul again, so don't need a couple of hundred thousand Avios sitting there, I reckon that's pretty good. The cash price for the exact same tickets would be... wait for it... wait for it... £3,200 !!

Just did a quick look and it's about $1,000 economy roundtrip from Kanas City to Athens.  That includes the baggage uncharge.  It's a tough time of year for me.  The final extended income tax filing deadline is October 15.  How does the 3,200 pounds compare to prior year fares?  

It’s about 10x probably. 

They are Business Class, on BA, but even so. 

There are lots of budget airlines who fly out that way too, of course. 

The nearest comparable budget flight, on Easyjet, with a bag underneath, two bags on top and food both ways, is priced at £610 (for two) in September (when their schedule runs out). 

Edit: Two Business Class tickets for the week before on BA are about £1200. Our week must be very popular. Or there is a pricing glitch. The dates we are travelling, they are still £3,200.

7 hours ago, RayD28 said:

How does the 3,200 pounds compare to prior year fares?

It depends where you're coming from of course, Ray.  

Members from Norway, Germany, France, the UK, Greece, Switzerland, Turkey, the Netherlands, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, and Arizona often attend the One Challenge and one of our members regularly travelled from Australia.  

As Andy's pointed out above £3,600 wouldn't be the cheapest fare from the UK and $1,000 equates to about £740 at the moment.  In the eleven years I've been attending the One Challenge I  wouldn't have spent more than £250 on air fares (at a guess) but on a number of occasions a colleague and I did road trips instead of flying.  

On the other hand, I've attended three 'long-distance' One Challenges in Tokyo, Melbourne, and New York and my economy-class air fares were each more than £2,500.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of comparative air fares for Challenges.

Pete.

• Like 2

..just did a quick check and EasyJet from Bristol (again using  September figures from Friday to Friday) is £241.80 return, Gatwick £177.80

...unless you're driving of course....🐙🏛️🚙💨👀😲😈

Edited by robert_parker
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, farnz said:

It depends where you're coming from of course, Ray.  

Members from Norway, Germany, France, the UK, Greece, Switzerland, Turkey, the Netherlands, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, and Arizona often attend the One Challenge and one of our members regularly travelled from Australia.  

As Andy's pointed out above £3,600 wouldn't be the cheapest fare from the UK and $1,000 equates to about £740 at the moment.  In the eleven years I've been attending the One Challenge I  wouldn't have spent more than £250 on air fares (at a guess) but on a number of occasions a colleague and I did road trips instead of flying.  

On the other hand, I've attended three 'long-distance' One Challenges in Tokyo, Melbourne, and New York and my economy-class air fares were each more than £2,500.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of comparative air fares for Challenges.

Pete.

I'm coming Kansas City, Missouri and one person round trip economy-class fare is about $900.  I must be overlooking something because this fare seems too good to be correct.  Perhaps it is airlines trying to lure back travelers.  

Regardless, I have procrastinating clients that regularly take full advantage of the USA's October 15 deadline to file their income tax returns.  Perhaps I'll tell them now that if they don't plan to give me their info by late September they should start looking for another tax accountant.  The problem with that is me telling clients during a pandemic that I want to go on vacation in Greece when some of them have been hit hard financially during the past year.  I suppose I'll just have to wait for a while to book a flight and pray for a healthy spring and summer and an economic uptick.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Quite a number of flights to choose from, at this time, from Nice and prices around 250€ return. Not knowing Athens, it would be great if someone could point out hotels; no hurry though since an important point, for me at least, will be our rendez-vous, both for lunch and dinner. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what hotels are good prospects?  Not sure if my bride will join me but neither of us are too picky.  I'd like to be located relatively close to where we'll meet for the Challenge gathering and evening dinner.  Our budget is flexible but we don't need many amenities.  Any suggestions or general feedback is much appreciated.  

We had an apartment booked for when this was supposed to be this year, so I will probably be looking for something similar in 2021. Probably within a mile of the Acropolis, but away from Monastiraki Square, which seems to be a place to avoid after dark.

I have never been to Greece before, but hotels appear to be very good value when compared to other Challenge cities that we have been to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1