Suitable material for new FILCA felt light seals

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fitting the discs will be very simple. After I have cut them out and made the hole in the centre with my 22 and 12mm punches, I then peel off the plastic protection of the adhesive side and lay it adhesive side uppermost on the spool's end with the knurled finger knob. I then slide it into whichever cylinder, inner or outer you are fitting it to. The knurled knob will centre the spool once it reaches the bottom and the adhesive will then adhere to the surface of the bottom with a press of the spool. Remove the spool and repeat for the other cylinder. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

I read this topic yesterday afternoon and in the evening took my four FILCA out of their aluminium canisters, former Ilford FP3 and FP4 refills, opened the cassettes and discovered that three of them had, each, one 'felt' ring missing.  All three were in the outer shell of the cassette. When assembled they three did rattle a little.  I have a small piece of green felt, not baize, which I measured at 39 thou. thick so I cut out a ring, 22mm. x 12mm. as a rough attempt. It worked. Today I worked them all:-

1.  Cut a strip of felt about 1ins. wide and 3ins long.

2.  Stick three short strips of double sided 'selotape' across the felt strip.

3.  Mark the centre of each strip.

4.  Used a pair of spring-bow compasses, one arm with a centre point, the other arm with a fine needle point, to scratch 12mm and 22mm diameter concentric circles on each strip of 'selotape' waxy backing.

5.  Used a pair of curved blade 'finger-nail scissors'(?) to cut out the centre and then the outer.

6.  Removed the waxy backing strip, one at a time, and put the ring on the end of the cassette spool.  Then spent an interminable time removing the ring from my fingers and any and all implements which I used to place it. 

7.  Then, as Wilson said #21, insinuated the assembled spool and ring into the shell and pressed.  Perfect.

8.  Cassettes do not rattle and the rotation of the spool feels greasy-silky smooth.

Thank you  Wilson and fellow LUFers for calling up this thread.

D.Lox.

P.S. Just a footnote can anyone advise me how to get rid of the enormous line space after pressing the 'return' or 'enter' key?

Edited by Jerry Attrik
added P.S.
  • Like 2