ELPRO 52 Macro with Q/Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All,

It's been a while since I came here and I am now a proud Q2 owner (former Q).  I was watching the RedDot Forum on the Q2 Monochrom and they mentioned the ELPRO 52 macro adapter that can be screwed onto the Q series cameras (with the provided step up ring). I was wondering if anyone here had tried this? I do love the macro ring, but sometimes really long for a bit more reach than 28mm (and not just using the crop options... which I rarely use as I just crop in post). I would love to know what the results are like and the overall experience. 

Thanks!

Chris

Edited by TopherPhoto
  • Thanks 1

Hi Topher,
i have the ELPRO52 and if you do a search here you will find some pictures i made.

Main problem with 28mm and macro is that you have to be very near to the object and that don't works very well, articularly not with animals.
The short distance to the object creates also the problem that good illumination is difficult to archive, a small ring flash will help with that.
I made some tests during first covid lockdown in April and dependin what you need is a small but stable tripod,
I used the GorillaPod Rig and it was enough stable as you can use 2 legt in front to counterweight tha camera and especiually with ring strobe.
I choosed the RIg version as i wanted to add 2 video LED lights on the two arms, but as shops where closed and i left later i did not bought them.
For stills you may use some device to have the object at level of the camera as if it's laying on the desk you will photograph from too much above.

The ELPRO works fine and optical quality seems very good, but i never used a cheaper 52mm macro screw-on lens.
I personally would recommend it, it has a beautful case and is very well made, worth the $$$

Chris

Here is the Tread: Macro Closeup filters for the Q2

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much Chris for your very helpful reply! I would probably use it more handheld but have sturdy tripod if needed. As you implied, the macro functionality at 28mm is pretty limited (although fun to use) and a bit more reach would help extract more real use. My dream would be to have 100mm attachment for the Q2 haha but perhaps an impossible ask! 

Leica does not recommend ELPRO 52 with Leica Q. 
only use it with the settings recommended on the list of M and TL lenses for ELPRO 52. 
Minimum distance will be crazy short at macro mode. Using ELPRO 52 with Q at normal distance mode. Negates the interest of this close up lens. 

Just use Q2 at macro mode with 75mm crop. It will provide good results. Albeit at 7MP only. 

• Thanks 2

Am 19.11.2020 um 02:28 schrieb TopherPhoto:

My dream would be to have 100mm attachment for the Q2 haha but perhaps an impossible ask! 

A 100mm lens on a camera sized like the Q would make the camera very tippy and your wrists will hurt soon and it would look rediculus as well.

I admit that i miss to have a useful macro lens on the Q2 but the macro function built in is usable either without or with ELPRO52,
but i still have my D800 with the 105mm macro if i want to do some serious macro photography.
Leica probably don't suggest the ELPRO52 for the Q series as the ELPRO52 creates cushion distortion, but depending on what you photograph thats not a big issue.
However, the Q2 macro tread here show a lot of very nice photos made without ELPRO52 showing that the macro function is rather usable.

Chris

• Like 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

Maybe Elpro 52 with 75mm crop is ok ?

I did not tested that as i always shoot 28mm and then crop on the computer where i see better what i am cropping.
But it could be worth a test to crop already in-camera.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

At first 28mm macro, is not a good idea. 

60mm and 105mm are THE macro lenses, but not on the Q2.
28mm macro can work well as long the object is not moving/alive, as longer the lens,
longer is min focus distance and usually 105mm gives a good distance between lens and object.

As i wrote, normal macro works considerable well with the Q/Q2 but adding  the ELPRO 52 focusing distance is so near to make it difficult to work and use a strobe, even a ring strobe.

As it is forbidden to post non Leica photos i can't post some underwater macro photos i took with my Panasonic LX-100 and a 10x diopter at 34mm.
A lot of excellent macro photos taken with the Q/Q2 are shown in the Q2 macro tread.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, PhotoCruiser said:

As it is forbidden to post non Leica photos i can't post some underwater macro photos i took with my Panasonic LX-100 and a 10x diopter at 34mm.

I guess that it will be ok to post them. LX100 is the same camera as Leica D-Lux typ 109. And wda is right, it did has a Leica DC Vario-Summilux lens. So no problem I think. 

And don’t forget the numerous photos of Lumix S1 cameras with or without leica lenses. The one with Leica SL/SL2 with Sigma or Panasonic lens... 

So your photos will be more than welcome. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of this information! I definitely agree that the Q2 is in no way meant for serious macro work; however, given the amazing quality of the lens, the closer focusing distance of the elpro could be nice. I was able to do a test shot using the elpro in the Leica Manhattan store last week and found it to work quite well. Can upload that after I get it off the camera. I wouldn’t use strobes with it for the same reason mentioned, just natural or continuous light source. I do question if I would actually use it if I had it. 

Am 23.11.2020 um 16:26 schrieb wda:

Chris, the LX100 has a Leica lens, has it not?

Yes, she has a Leica lens, but probably developed WITH Leica, not built by Leica.
However, a very nice, small camera and several underwater housings available and that is important for me as she is my small underwater rig.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb TopherPhoto:

I was able to do a test shot using the elpro in the Leica Manhattan store last week and found it to work quite well.

The ELPRO52 creates cushion distortion and that creates problems with square stuff while for sounded ojects the distorsion is barely visible.

Shooting with the ELPRO52 and ambient light can be callenging as the camera creates shadows or you have either backlight or flat light from above.
A small ringlight (or two tiny strobe heads right and left of the lens) would fix that problem, the one i bought is too big

Here are some other informations and photos i made with the ELPRO52

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
44 minutes ago, Krusty said:

What does the elpro exactly do? Does it make the focal length twice?

If the Elpro would  enlarge the focal length you would not be able to go nearer but had to go farther away to achieve a sharp picture. You can get "extenders" for several lenses which enlarge the focal length, but the Elpro is no extender.

You could compare the Elpro to glasses you use for seeing better at short distance. The focus of the eyes/lens is brought nearer to the object. So the closest distance you can use your lens normally is considerably shortened, but you cannot focus with them on longer distances. The old Elpros which were already used for the lenses of old screw mount Leicas worked like such glasses for near distance. The modern  Elpro 2 is an "Achromat" and does consist of a system of two lenses to correct aberrations (wrong colors, distortion etc.) which occur if you only use one. 

In the first link to the other thread already quoted above in #14 you get some ideas about the usability of a Q+Elpro for digitalizing negatives. Does not really look good. 

Edited by UliWer

It is really bad. Don’t use ELPRO 52 with Q2 

I sold it. It is not really useful. 
You should really look at the compatible lenses list and required aperture setting. 
Using ELPRO outside of this list and at any other aperture would yield subpar results. 

That’s why Leica did not list Q and Q2. It is too bad for their taste. 
But X typ 113 is listed though. 

So it is very restrictive. 
Better use M lenses with Macro-Adapter-M. Results are typically better. But still lens dependant. 

Or buy a proper macro lens. 
Or use Q2 at 75mm crop with macro mode on. It will be better than ELPRO 52. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2022 at 3:08 PM, nicci78 said:

It is really bad. Don’t use ELPRO 52 with Q2 

I sold it. It is not really useful. 
You should really look at the compatible lenses list and required aperture setting. 
Using ELPRO outside of this list and at any other aperture would yield subpar results. 

That’s why Leica did not list Q and Q2. It is too bad for their taste. 
But X typ 113 is listed though. 

So it is very restrictive. 
Better use M lenses with Macro-Adapter-M. Results are typically better. But still lens dependant. 

Or buy a proper macro lens. 
Or use Q2 at 75mm crop with macro mode on. It will be better than ELPRO 52. 

YMMV... I shot the following with the ELPRO52 and they look good to me, but as I said, your mileage may vary. Obviously, this is not the right kit for serious macro work, but throwing macro (with or without the ELPRO) in the Q2 mix, makes it an even more compelling choice for someone who (like me) wants one camera only and occasionally shoots macro.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2