Help Me Understand Digital Resolution/Cropping versus Actual Photos

lencap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I searched this forum for a discussion of this topic, but haven't found any.  If I missed it, please point me in the right direction.  Thanks to everyone in advance for your comments.  In years past I shot Hasselblad square negatives and printed black and white 8"x8" (my standard viewing size) or 16"x16" images (rarely used) - cropping wasn't an issue.  I used 35mm film as well, but usually defaulted to 4x6 prints to keep the original aspect ratio.  At the 35mm size lens resolution and film sensitivity were both somewhat limited, and although I enjoyed using a rangefinder camera, I typically got to see all the resolution that the combination of film/lens quality could provide.  On the larger 2.25" square negatives of medium format images, I didn't even care if I printed the images - the contact prints were spectacular and looking at them was a joy.  Choosing between print and slide film was my biggest challenge  - do I want the immediacy and portability of film, or the dramatic look of a projected negative?

And ever since switching to digital imaging I've been confused.  Please help me understand digital resolution versus actual photo resolution, and help me gain a framework (pun intended) as to how to view the digital world compared to the days of film.  I own a Lecia Q and Nikon Z6, and for my needs the resolution they offer seems to exceed what I can actually view in an media.  Let me try to explain more fully - and I'd appreciate any corrections of my lack of understanding.  

I typically view images from my digital cameras on a 27" iMac Retina display - that's the largest high resolution screen I have for any Digital images.  From that perspective and pixel peeking with LR/PS I can see differences, but the question is do they matter.  That is what I struggle to understand. 

The issue is that I don't really have the ability to see the full resolution of the images I'm making in camera.  The 27" Retina display is roughly 216 DPI resolution.  The greatest resolution screen currently available is the Apple 12 Mini at 476 DPI or the Samsung Galaxy S7 at 577 DPI.  These screens are tiny in comparison to the 27" retina, and so I wonder whether I'll ever be able to capture the full quality of any digital images I make.  Furthermore, most Digital screens have calibration issues and color matching is difficult when viewing images on different screens of varying accuracy.

I rarely print actual photos, but when I do they tend to be cropped since a 24x36mm sensor doesn't easily transfer to standard photo size prints, and the only standard size print that matches that aspect ratio is a 4X6" size - hardly large enough to notice fine detail.  The closest standard size photo to match my sensor is a 11x16 with an aspect ratio of 1.45:1.  So in addition to losing some of my original composition to cropping, I also have to try to match the 300DPI image quality actual printed photos.  To print that image at 300 DPI requires a resolution of roughly 16MB.  (11"*300 dpi) * (16"*300 dpi) = 15.84MB.  From that perspective my original Q and Nikon Z6 both seem to be all the resolution I need for the print sizes I will likely make (even if that is a rare event).  From my limited understanding I fail to see how higher pixel count sensors result in an actually superior printed image made from a 24x36mm sensor.  What am I missing?

Adding to these questions the newer medium format sensors are closer to 4.5x6mm format film, not the former square standard of 6mm film.  So cropping is required in this format as well, with the closest match likely 11x14.  This creates the same misunderstanding of how the Hasselblad/Fuji 33X44 size sensors translate to actual improved printed photos.  This seems to create similar issues to using a full frame sensor sized image, with the differences related to cropping a medium format image to a standard size print.  

So, please help me understand: (1) Given current screen technology, how do I see the full resolution that my sensor is creating (and does this become more limiting for higher resolution sensors); (2) since typical printed photo sizes don't match any full frame or medium format sensor (or for that matter old film negatives) how do you compose knowing that a printed image will force you to crop; (3) how do I resolve these discrepancies when trying to decide upon the ever larger sensor pixel resolution and actual printed photos; (4) - and to me the most important question - Given the increasing difficulty of printing large size photos on real photographic paper, at what point do theoretical improvements in modern digital cameras become unobtainable in real life viewing?

Start by changing resolution of 24x36  to 300.  Make a screen size from the originall at 216 .   Sharpen both.  then see if there is a difference on iMac. Fit the image to the screen.  They will look perfect on 27” screen if file is good.  M8 files look perfect if I do everything right. I would not obsess over mega bites or GB as they mean nothing except for storage space.  

Make another from original to 11x14, sharpen ,  send out full size  or cropped center for a print.  The Leica will make a 11x14 at 300 ppi if file is sharp.  You must learn to sharpen. Use good tripod or flash.  

Repeat similar with Hasselblad.  

Prints need to be 300 ppi.  in general.

I print 35mm on 11x14 with image size 9+ x 13 .5.  Waste the edges