Any experience with the new Lumix 85/1.8 on S1x?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The reported lens-to-be looks like a very nice size and configuration?  How does it render?

The one actual review that I could find suggests conventional performance (stop down to 2.8 or 4 for sharpness across the field.  Center sharpness not as good at 1.8 as at 2.8).  The examples provided were fairly limited.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

3 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

The reported lens-to-be looks like a very nice size and configuration?  How does it render?

The one actual review that I could find suggests conventional performance (stop down to 2.8 or 4 for sharpness across the field.  Center sharpness not as good at 1.8 as at 2.8).  The examples provided were fairly limited.

Some very nice samples of stills in this you tube review, skip past the first 3 or 4 minutes of usual unboxing and size comparisons... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMI6EoTAP6M&t=52s

Richard Wong also does a very thorough review that can be found on you tube.

I have pre-ordered, here in the UK will possibly be available end of this month and even though I have the 90SL I want to try it.

Edited by Boojay

I also have a preorder in with my friends at Popflash.  Its competitors are my R 80/1.4 and S100/2, both of which are heavy and need adapters, (and paid for already),.  They make spectacular images.  I have a hunch that the two small lenses from Panasonic (45 and 85) will do better on the S1R.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks like good value. There are more image samples  here which have attracted some discussion in the comments section about purple fringing and LoCA. 

I’m looking forward to seeing how the 24/35/50mm releases fare and compare to the Sigma DC DN trio. 

My pre-ordered 85mm arrived this morning, first impressions, build quality is ok, hood is stupidly large which is silly given that obvious attraction of this lens is size/weight/speed, sure I could find a smaller alternative somewhere though.  Having just mounted it on the CL initial thoughts without the hood it's a nice fit, feels balanced enough and the autofocus is really speedy.  Very early morning here and still dark and wet, but looking forward to trying it out later.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On France, Panasonic is giving away a free S 85mm f/1.8 and a free battery grip if you bought the heavily discounted kit S1R + S 24-105 f/4. 
All 4 for only 2499€ VAT included. 
Panasonic is totally desperate to move its inventory. 
Nobody seems to want to buy their huge and heavy S1R body. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Are you sure @Simone_DF ?

I think that they can ship anywhere in Europe.

Just call FNAC Montparnasse photo department at +33149543024 ask for Eric or any English speaking photo staff. 
It is FNAC HQ store. They can do anything  

Or you can call FNAC Ternes photo department at +33144091877 ask for Stéphane or any English speaking photo staff. 
It is FNAC biggest store. They are willing to do anything.  

Shipping may not be free though. 

Edited by nicci78

The S1R becomes 'really bulky & heavy' when you have huge heavy lenses connected to it.

I use my S1R with M lenses and it weighs about the same as my M9M.

For me the issue with the S1R is the amount of bloody buttons and dials on the thing and a menu that would give Gordon Ramsey a heart attack.

This is why my S1R is little used and also for sale. I had one guy offer me an M9 but he has gone silent now, shame.

The new DC DN lenses from Sigma look very good indeed, size & weight is also bearable, I will get to test them at some stage and post my results.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marac said:

I use my S1R with M lenses and it weighs about the same as my M9M.

How is that possible ? Original M Monochrom or M9 only weighs 585g with battery and SD card.

On the other hand S1R weighs 1016g with battery and SD card. Almost double the weight. 

And S1R will still required a 70g M-Adapter-L to use M lenses. So 1086g vs 585g. S1R is a beast to handle. 

I always weigh my gear. I got a hard limit : no shoulder bag fully packed should weigh more than 4kg. Including the bag’s own weight, a 50cL water bottle and an iPad.
That’s seriously limiting my photo equipment choice. 
Even more because I prefer no more than 3kg actually. 
My shoulder and my back are happy. I really think that weight is enemy.

So just one S1R + 24-105 + 85mm + battery is not bearable for me. 

NB : I hate backpacks but I love fast, easy and secure access of shoulder bags like Billingham’s F2.8 or Hadleys 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1