Leica CLA Experience for MP-240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A month ago I purchased a used Leica MP-240 from the Leica Store online. It was in great cosmetic condition & the camera has had only one owner and no history of repairs. One of the things I noticed when I started to shoot is that the sensor was dirty. It took some convincing, but the store that sold it to me agreed to send it to the factory in Jersey to adjust the range finder, check, adjust, clean, etc. I was very proactive to ask the store if the camera was thoroughly checked, so I demanded a CLA to get some sort of "piece of mind" to ensure that there weren't any other underlying issues with the camera. This is my first Leica, but I've owned mirrorless cameras in the past with exposed sensors and did not encounter this issue. I used this camera sparingly, never changed the new Summicron lens I had on the camera, and kept it in a safe camera bag away from the elements.

Am I being a bit paranoid about the condition of the camera because of the sensor, or is is smart that I got this reviewed by the factory to ensure there aren't any other issues? How many times do you get your camera CLA'ed throughout your ownership? 

Dirt on the sensor is just part of life with interchangeable mirrorless cameras. In itself this is not evidence that anything else might be wrong with the camera.

Cleaning a sensor yourself is just one of those simple photographic skills that you need to learn. It's not rocket science (though a Rocket blower is the first tool to reach for).

The bigger surprise is why you didn't encounter it before. Perhaps you had a camera with self-cleaning sensor.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, theumbrellacorp said:

Am I being a bit paranoid about the condition of the camera because of the sensor,

Just one person's opinion, but I would say yes.

On the other hand, if you were able to demand all that extra free service from the Leica Store and actually get it, you have my congratulations. :)   Kinda makes you wonder about their markup though :)

Having said that, I personally purchased from Leica Miami an M240 that arrived with the rangefinder out of adjustment.  Following the excellent procedure detailed on this forum :) I adjusted it myself with no issues.

Unless you intent to leave the camera to your children in your will, you probably won't need another CLA as long as you own it.  

Or maybe you will.  Such things however depend entirely on your useage, location, owner care, whether you're a professional, and other factors.  But it's certainly not something to spend any time worrying about.

You really, seriously, will reap benefits from learning to clean the sensor yourself though.

Edited by Good To Be Retired
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 12:23 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

Dirt on the sensor is just part of life with interchangeable mirrorless cameras. In itself this is not evidence that anything else might be wrong with the camera.

Cleaning a sensor yourself is just one of those simple photographic skills that you need to learn. It's not rocket science (though a Rocket blower is the first tool to reach for).

The bigger surprise is why you didn't encounter it before. Perhaps you had a camera with self-cleaning sensor.

Well explained. Chances are you’ll find dust or something on your sensor soon after the CLA. 

Get a blower and a wet cleaning kit. Once you get past the initial angst, it’ll become second nature. 

On 11/12/2020 at 9:03 PM, theumbrellacorp said:

A month ago I purchased a used Leica MP-240 from the Leica Store online. It was in great cosmetic condition & the camera has had only one owner and no history of repairs. One of the things I noticed when I started to shoot is that the sensor was dirty. It took some convincing, but the store that sold it to me agreed to send it to the factory in Jersey to adjust the range finder, check, adjust, clean, etc. I was very proactive to ask the store if the camera was thoroughly checked, so I demanded a CLA to get some sort of "piece of mind" to ensure that there weren't any other underlying issues with the camera. This is my first Leica, but I've owned mirrorless cameras in the past with exposed sensors and did not encounter this issue. I used this camera sparingly, never changed the new Summicron lens I had on the camera, and kept it in a safe camera bag away from the elements.

Am I being a bit paranoid about the condition of the camera because of the sensor, or is is smart that I got this reviewed by the factory to ensure there aren't any other issues? How many times do you get your camera CLA'ed throughout your ownership? 

If you can swing free CLA, I’d say go for it.  Even without it, unless you see clear signs of abuse, I wouldn’t necessarily equate a dirty sensor with the camera having underlying problems. You’ll have a peace of mind now since you’re getting back an essentially new m240 back from NJ. 

BTW, if your name is referencing what I think it is, kudos! One of my favorite video game series of all time.

I also had a single CLA on my M 240 when I bought it new. Rangefinder was out of adjustment. I didn't want to fix it by myself, being the camera new and under warranty. So after a couple week trip to Wetzlar, it came back perfect. Since then, in the last six years I only had to go two times to the Leica Store in my town for a deep sensor cleaning. Did this by myself other couple times. That's all. A real tank.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:03 PM, theumbrellacorp said:

How many times do you get your camera CLA'ed

things ain't broken, don't fix it.  "dust" is nothing just like all other say, it's the truth.  another truth is... you cannot make it 100% particles free, blow the sensor when you see black spots in photos, wipe it when blower didn't work. 

1 hour ago, epand56 said:

two times to the Leica Store in my town for a deep sensor cleaning

"deep sensor cleaning" is a funny marketing term, it only makes you pay more.  probably some dentists working part-time at Leica store lately?  I don't know but it's still very funny!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, jaeger said:

things ain't broken, don't fix it.  "dust" is nothing just like all other say, it's the truth.  another truth is... you cannot make it 100% particles free, blow the sensor when you see black spots in photos, wipe it when blower didn't work. 

"deep sensor cleaning" is a funny marketing term, it only makes you pay more.  probably some dentists working part-time at Leica store lately?  I don't know but it's still very funny!

Jaeger, sensor cleaning is a service that Leica Italy offers for free. And they can do that better than me. That's why I once in a while let them do the job.

@theumbrellacorp - first of all, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your M-P 240!

Do it yourself sensor glass cover (that is what you are cleaning, not the actual sensor) cleaning is not difficult and is not dangerous to the camera, provided you follow your M-P 240's instructions on sensor cleaning and the directions for the sensor cleaning swabs and fluid.  The main thing is to not use too much cleaning fluid. 

First, I use my Giottos Rocket Blaster dust removal blower bulb to any remove loose dust.  Next, I use Photographic Solutions Type 3 Sensor Swab (the 24mm wide sensor swabs) and I put three evenly spaced drops of Photographic Solutions Eclipse Optic Cleaning Solution on one edge of the swab, turn it over ans apply two evenly spaced drops to the reverse (other) edge of the swab.  I then wait about 10 seconds to give the fluid a chance to uniformly absorb into the edges of the swab.

I usually need to clean my camera sensor's glass cover 2-3 times per year and have done so for the 5 1/2 years that I have owned my M-P 240; I have had zero problems related to sensor cleaning. 

There's really no reason to pay a camera store $50 or more to clean your sensor when doing it yourself is simple and you will get good results - just follow all directions given by Leica and Photographic Solutions and everything will turn out fine.

21 hours ago, epand56 said:

Jaeger, sensor cleaning is a service that Leica Italy offers for free. And they can do that better than me. That's why I once in a while let them do the job.

oh that's nice!  do you get 1 year free sensor cleaning in Italy?  we get 1 year turn-around time here in the US, what I mean is I will get my camera back next year today if I sent it in for cleaning today. 😄

11 minutes ago, jaeger said:

oh that's nice!  do you get 1 year free sensor cleaning in Italy?  we get 1 year turn-around time here in the US, what I mean is I will get my camera back next year today if I sent it in for cleaning today. 😄

Jeager, I'm lucky, it took me just one week 😁

On 11/13/2020 at 7:56 AM, Good To Be Retired said:

Just one person's opinion, but I would say yes.

On the other hand, if you were able to demand all that extra free service from the Leica Store and actually get it, you have my congratulations. :)   Kinda makes you wonder about their markup though :)

Having said that, I personally purchased from Leica Miami an M240 that arrived with the rangefinder out of adjustment.  Following the excellent procedure detailed on this forum :) I adjusted it myself with no issues.

Unless you intent to leave the camera to your children in your will, you probably won't need another CLA as long as you own it.  

Or maybe you will.  Such things however depend entirely on your useage, location, owner care, whether you're a professional, and other factors.  But it's certainly not something to spend any time worrying about.

You really, seriously, will reap benefits from learning to clean the sensor yourself though.

I have just encountered a back focus issue on all of my lenses with my M246.  Would you please refer me to the "excellent procedure detailed on this forum" as I would dearly like to make this adjustment myself as well. I have a full set of metric small allen wrenches and am ready to go - thanks

24 minutes ago, lawman said:

I have just encountered a back focus issue on all of my lenses with my M246.  Would you please refer me to the "excellent procedure detailed on this forum" as I would dearly like to make this adjustment myself as well. I have a full set of metric small allen wrenches and am ready to go - thanks

On 11/13/2020 at 5:03 AM, theumbrellacorp said:

I was very proactive to ask the store if the camera was thoroughly checked, so I demanded a CLA to get some sort of "piece of mind" to ensure that there weren't any other underlying issues with the camera.

Just wondering, did they give you a copy of the receipt from Leica detailing what exactly was carried out as part of the CLA? I would want that as it is something you could keep with the camera if you decide to sell it on at some point.

OTOH I expect the 'CLA' was maybe just someone in the store cleaning the sensor for you........

3 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Thank you so much for the video - I have those identical lenses and am backfocusing with them all at close range although infinity seems OK. I will give the 2mm wrench and whirl and report back to you. I noticed that you didn't do anything to loosen the locktite solution Leica applied to the mechanism - is that correct? Not needed? Thanks

20 minutes ago, lawman said:

Thank you so much for the video - I have those identical lenses and am backfocusing with them all at close range although infinity seems OK. I will give the 2mm wrench and whirl and report back to you. I noticed that you didn't do anything to loosen the locktite solution Leica applied to the mechanism - is that correct? Not needed? Thanks

That spot a a simple lacquer dot to lock the screw. Take a cotton swab moistened with alcohol and dab it to soften the lacquer. Not too much alcohol to drip but just enough to soften. After you make the adjustment it will reharden to lock the screw. If it should flake off make sure it doesn’t stay inside the camera.

• Like 1