You own M10M are you still considering a Q2M?

M10Alpine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm just interested in how many who has a M-Monochrome is actually intrigued enough to pll the trigger and buy one or see the Q2M as a possible back up tool? 

Personally I cant really figure out the intended target market for the Q2M

I have the M10M and I actually can see that the Q2M would be a fun toy to have but no need to have, well I don't need any Leica strictly speaking because its just a hobby. Whats mainly attracting me is the ease of use and the Macro capabilities. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Thought about it ; the camera is a bold move, but I'm happier with the flexibility of M-film, M10 and M10M, sharing lenses or even having identical lenses on a working pair.

There are situations when a pocket sized compact camera is all I want to carry, and would be quite excited if there was ever a Ricoh GR-Monochrome, smaller and lighter than even the TL/CL with 18mm. But the Q is larger than a M and heavy, so just does not fill any slot for me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jeff S said:

No, M10 vs Q2...

https://camerasize.com/compare/#702,820

Jeff

looks larger to me 

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/6079585593/leica-q2-monochrom-beauty-shots/7971932870

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

A tiny detail, probably doesn't matter to many shooters but Q lens behaves quite wonderfully at f/16. There's diffraction softening yes but it is perhaps behaving slightly better than some M lenses at f/16. The softening has a hint of dreaminess to it, very nice.

My experience is with Q Typ 116 but I think it's reasonable to expect the same performance with Q2 and Q2M. Don't bring the megapixels into the equation, pixel peeping is for losers. If you printed a magnificent A3 print from Q images you will print an even more magnificent A3 print using Q2(M) images.

The immense bonus of a fixed compact  is of course dust-free images at all apertures. Sensor dust is the main reason I don't shoot my M lenses at f/16 very often.

7 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

Funny looking M10.  

Jeff

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, M10Alpine said:

I still don't fully understand who is the target market for the Q2M - I think most monochrome users have a M already and Leica Lenses. You don't wake up one day and want a Q2M. If I was to have two digital Monochrome's Id probably get the M9M.

Some thoughts....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macfilos.com/2020/10/28/leicas-parallel-universe-the-case-of-a-q2-monochrome/amp/

The market for the Q (and Q2) seems to be broader based than the M market, attracting folks not formerly Leica users at all.  The original Q was a huge success (more than 10x anticipated demand, according to Leica execs). I won’t be surprised if a decent subset of that crowd embraces the idea of a monochrome based Q, which is relatively reasonably priced, especially compared to an M with a comparable 28mm M lens.  I think it would be even more appealing with a 35mm lens, but Leica has effectively marketed the notion of higher MP and digitally cropping.  Macro mode also adds to its versatility, in addition to AF, OIS, etc, which the M lacks.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

I like the idea of having black and white video function, not that I work with video but could easily take it up with such a camera. The Q seems to be a very "cool " camera? I wonder how relatively easy the production and conversion from Colour Q to Monochrom Q is. Would it be a matter of separating the bayer filter array from the sensor panels and voila, there you have the Q2M? I think I have enough monochrom's to play with.

Kudos to Leica for their work with Monochrom cameras which must consolidate black and white photography into the future . 

• Like 4

I love the idea and concept of the Q2M. Even if I have a M10 Monochrome - I totally will buy one in a year or so when they surface on the secondhand market. Mostly for the Macro capabilities and the weight. I have a great lens collection and still I can see that the Q2M would be super cool to hav in some situations. 

• Like 1

Q2 is a fantastic camera, no doubt. But when it comes to Q2M - probably another fantastic camera - and for those equipped with a M10M, it means giving up on some lenses. In my case the APO 50 which I really enjoy.

Looks like Q2M is targeting people who would like to have a mono, but would not go straight to the M line as starting from scratch is a bold 15K investment... 

This being said, I can't wait to play with a SL2M and a L Summicron 35. 

Edited by snooper
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, M10Alpine said:

I love the idea and concept of the Q2M. Even if I have a M10 Monochrome - I totally will buy one in a year or so when they surface on the secondhand market. Mostly for the Macro capabilities and the weight. I have a great lens collection and still I can see that the Q2M would be super cool to hav in some situations. 

A complete flip from post 7 (and post 1) to this. Seems like you just needed some GAS support.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was an M shooter in every flavours for years
- Digital Colour with M9, M typ 262 & M10.  
-  Digital B&W with M Monochrom. 
- Analog Colour with M3 or M6 + Kodak’s Portra and Ektar.
- Analog B&W with M3 or M6 + Kodak TriX or Ilford XP2 Super  

Then I discovered the Q. And half of interest into M cameras vanished. Then the CL come into my life. Making my M10 redundant. 

I never planned to by any M ever again. A Monochrom would have been the only reason to go back to Ms. But now no need to compromise Q2 Mono is finally here. And it is awesome. Thanks Leica. 

I am sure that it will be smashing hit. Just like Leica Q became the third camera Leica sold the most after M3 and M6. 
I am pretty sure that Q2 Monochrom will be the most sold Monochrom camera ever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

A complete flip from post 7 (and post 1) to this. Seems like you just needed some GAS support.

Jeff

I agree - I'm unstable... My son uses my Q116 he can toy with Q2M if I don't like it. I actual still not understand it but as some say, its the "heroine" marketing trick. &k for a body and a 28mm is not much in Leica terms so I guess they hope they can convert buyers to the M system. 

- But you are right its kind of GAS but then I said I would wait a year. Lets see if I can stick to that. 

Thanks for the sobering comment 

I think that Q is a double-edged sword. 
- For M users it is a pathway to mirrorless CL/SL/SL2 cameras. 
- For non mirrorless/DSLR cameras users it is a path to rangefinder cameras such as M10 series. 

Because you can use the Q/Q2 like a manual M cameras with Visoflex. And you even retain out of field view with its clever crop mode. 
And you can use the Q/Q2 as an AF mirrorless cameras. 

That’s the beauty of Q line. The perfect blend of what Leica is doing the best. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Please just consider that Q2 is equivalent to carry these set altogether within only one camera: 
- M10-R with Summilux-M 28mm asph 
- M10 with Summicron-M 35mm asph    
- M9 with Elmarit-M 50mm asph.  
- M8 with Elmar-M 75mm asph

I love my Q-s, but that comparison is a bit contrived ;-).

22 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Please just consider that Q2 is equivalent to carry these set altogether within only one camera: 
- M10-R with Summilux-M 28mm asph 
- M10 with Summicron-M 35mm asph    
- M9 with Elmarit-M 50mm asph.  
- M8 with Elmar-M 75mm asph

Maybe for you.  Focal length doesn’t change by cropping, so one loses effects relating to DOF, compression, bokeh, etc resulting from actual lens differences.  Just different fields of view, which one can just as easily achieve in post.

One person’s perfect ‘blend’ is another’s ‘no man’s land’ or compromise for convenience sake.  I’d much rather have an M system for what it does superbly, along with the SL2 system for  what it provides so well. In fact, I do. 

But if Leica provided different Q bodies with similarly integrated 35mm, 50mm or other lenses (assuming that could be achieved technically in a similarly compact package), I think those would be hugely popular and cut into sales of other Leica systems. Marketing crop modes is a clever alternative IMO.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Not at all. 
I am even below the truth. 
Just of think of Q2 as all these cameras and lenses. With integrated Macro-Adapter-M + 4K video capabilities + AF. 
While retaining same out of field view of 0.68x viewfinder. 😌

Depth of field and perspective is 100% correct with their M lenses counterparts. Cropping is awesome. 

Edited by nicci78

I crop in post as needed. Don’t need a new camera for that. But if you think I can crop my 28 M Summicron in post to achieve the same rendering effects as my 50 Summilux, we’ll never agree.  

I never mentioned perspective, which only changes with camera to subject distance, not focal length.

Jeff

• Like 1