35mm f1.2 VM Nokton III - New Arrival

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ordered Wednesday, arrive this morning (Thursday).  Just put it on my M10M and made a couple of hand-held test shots in the kitchen @ MFD & f1.2 so as to see how the subject separation is. BY 'MFD' I mean 0.7m using the normal VF. Have not yet tried 0.5m with LV/EVF.

DNG's imported into LR Classic, the version II profile applied, 'Auto' clicked and exported as jpg's.  I'm a very lazy LR user but really must find out how to apply a lens profile to a batch when importing, instead of having to apply it individually (as I did today). Ignore that - I just delved into LR Support Community pages and found how to create & apply an import profile.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For a 35mm f1.2 it is pleasingly light (332g) and compact (Voigtlander state it is 30% lighter and 20% shorter than version II).

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Three examples from this afternoon's test of the Nokton (+ med yellow filter) on M10M.  All at f1.2.  Processing as above.

• Like 15

And now for something in colour...

M240 + EVF at f1.2 and the Nokton's MFD of 0.5m.  (Click to view in LightBox)

• Like 7

No pressure, but had been teetering on the brink of ordering one of these - your lovely images pushed me over the edge. Know that smaller, internet sized photos can betray sharpness, but looks to render beautifully and work nicely wide open (which is the primary use case for me). 

Another +1 for Robert White too, always excellent service from them.

Arriving tomorrow....fingers are crossed. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Congrats - I doubt very much if you will be disappointed by your purchase.  Early days yet but I have yet to find any aspect even vaguely negative.  BTW, I bought the Haoge LH-VM36 Bayonet Metal Round Lens Hood from Amazon for the princely sum of £34.99 - compare & contest with Voigtlander's offering!  The hood arrived Thurs afternoon and is a well made & well fitting item.

Another colour grab shot (at f1.2 & 0.5m with EVF).  Click to view in LightBox.  (Really need to get some new blossoms...)

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

Congrats - I doubt very much if you will be disappointed by your purchase.  Early days yet but I have yet to find any aspect even vaguely negative.  BTW, I bought the Haoge LH-VM36 Bayonet Metal Round Lens Hood from Amazon for the princely sum of £34.99 - compare & contest with Voigtlander's offering!  The hood arrived Thurs afternoon and is a well made & well fitting item.

Another colour grab shot (at f1.2 & 0.5m with EVF).  Click to view in LightBox.  (Really need to get some new blossoms...)

That really is stunning. And thank you for the steer re lens hood, was trying to fathom out the Voigtlander pricing earlier!

Will keep you posted!

Another f1.2 example (M10M).

• Like 1

Subject separation example from a walk this afternoon - a very dull, damp and grey one!  M10M and the Nokton at f1.2.

• Like 6

One can even use it single-handed... ;)

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 9:48 AM, mheine said:

Ahhh, thank you for all these shots - I am super excited to see it's rendering. If possible, could you please share some portrait work and how the lens reacts to whites? Would love to see if it renders with too much glow.

Hmmm, no opportunities for portraiture I'm afraid - I don't have any captive subjects!  However, I am enjoying its 'subject separation' capabilities at f1.2.

• Like 14

13 hours ago, fullsteamphil said:

Anyone have any thoughts on how this lens compares to the Zeiss 35mm 1.4? Currently on the fence. 

I had the Zeiss when I first got the M10. It’s a beautifully sharp lens, rendered scenes nicely, incredible microcontrast. But I have to admit, I found it oddly uninspiring and can’t put my finger on why exactly. Perhaps a little clinical for me. I didn’t particularly like the haptics of the lens, it didn’t feel brilliantly balanced and I found the focussing dimple was neither a focussing tab, nor the focussing ring of the VM lenses (or a vintage Summicron or Summilux 50mm lens)

It is a great example of a technically great piece of optical engineering. However I sold mine within months and 

For me, the reason I carry the M10 is for portability and for a fast 35mm lens, the size, weight, handling of the 35 1.2 iii works better for me. It’s a much better size than its predecessors (and vs the ZM 35) and I find focussing on it much quicker and easier. 

However, I’m not sure comparing the VM and ZM is like for like. The ZM is much more akin to the 35mm Summilux FLE for me and a conversation about technical capability. The VM is an excellent lens, but the look of that lens, for me, is very different to the others. 

So a few questions to ask yourself I suspect. What look do you prefer? Do you mind the size weight etc? You won’t go wrong with either, but I do think they are 2 very different lenses.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, fullsteamphil said:

Anyone have any thoughts on how this lens compares to the Zeiss 35mm 1.4? Currently on the fence. 

I own both. Would give the VM a major advantage on size, and a minor advantage on weight and bokeh. Everything else would go to the ZM. I still think they're both wonderful lenses, and that the VM in particular shines if wide open environmental shots/portraits where the center of the frame is the main concern. The ZM is still the safe context-neutral recommendation to me if one can get past the size concerns because it's such a stellar optical all-arounder.

I posted a few comparisons of output and size at https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQsybA1 a while back (bunch of M 35s including those two).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2