What LED are the M10 menus referring to?

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought I understood the Leica M10 menu, but I learned a lot of new things from this video:  youtube.com/watch?v=bFW9lXD_FT4

Going through all me menus, under CUSTOMIZE CONTROL I noticed "LED" which can be enabled or disabled.

What does this do?  Where is this LED, and why might I want to see it - or not?

6 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

I thought I understood the Leica M10 menu, but I learned a lot of new things from this video:  youtube.com/watch?v=bFW9lXD_FT4

Going through all me menus, under CUSTOMIZE CONTROL I noticed "LED" which can be enabled or disabled.

What does this do?  Where is this LED, and why might I want to see it - or not?

I belive it is the Self timer LED.  

1 hour ago, Steven said:

I think there is an infrared led in the front that helps with autofocus ? At least that's what it is on my Q2. 

Steven.   Theres no autofocus on an M10

Sjz.    no. its not a self timer indicator.

That LED is simply an indicator that file information is being written to your sdcard.

So the decision is..  Do you (or other people around you) want to see a flashing light after each exposure?   

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, lucerne said:

Steven.   Theres no autofocus on an M10

Sjz.    no. its not a self timer indicator.

That LED is simply an indicator that file information is being written to your sdcard.

So the decision is..  Do you (or other people around you) want to see a flashing light after each exposure?   

Hope that helps.

Thanks Gordon, it helped a lot. 

Since the original question is resolved, may I hijack the thread forwards another Menu question that doesn't deserve its own thread, I think? 

On the M10/P/R, is there a way to turn off the magnification focus aid while keeping the peaking ? I don't like that it zooms in, but I like that it shows me what's in focus with colours. When I try to turn off the magnification, I seem to turn it off all together. 

Thanks in advance. 

12 hours ago, Steven said:

I think there is an infrared led in the front that helps with autofocus ? At least that's what it is on my Q2. 

The little window on the front is a light meter that helps estimate the preflash intensity of the M-TTL flash system, plus, on most M cameras, it is part of the aperture estimation system.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

The little window on the front is a light meter that helps estimate the preflash intensity of the M-TTL flash system, plus, on most M cameras, it is part of the aperture estimation system.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Jeff, we appreciate it. 

Do you have, by any change, the answer to my question above regarding the magnification and focus peaking being dissociable from each other? 

Never mind, I just figured it out on my own. Although it wasn't really "intuitive", I really like the way it is implemented. 

The way to dissociate both features is to first go in the settings and turn on BOTH magnification and focus peaking. 

Then you go out of the settings, live view mode, start focusing... When the magnification starts, turn the thumbnail well to unmagnify, and you'll keep the peaking on its own. 

Very clever, as always with Leica. 

My Canon Sony mind led me into looking for a hidden menu in the settings... lol.. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2020 at 4:22 AM, Steven said:

Never mind, I just figured it out on my own. Although it wasn't really "intuitive", I really like the way it is implemented. 

The way to dissociate both features is to first go in the settings and turn on BOTH magnification and focus peaking. 

Then you go out of the settings, live view mode, start focusing... When the magnification starts, turn the thumbnail well to unmagnify, and you'll keep the peaking on its own. 

Very clever, as always with Leica. 

My Canon Sony mind led me into looking for a hidden menu in the settings... lol.. 

yes I know it’s been a year, but looked for this and other insider menu set-ups for my new rig, and all I can say is you’re a genius! But you already knew that. Thank you!!