Is Leica really not going to update the TL2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found a TL2 for cheap (used), so I really can't complain....and the camera is amazing in its rendition.  That said, I was a bit surprised that they seem to be moving on without doing some of the updates that the CL has gotten (especially since the TL2 is current still, I think).  I was just curious if this was a "done deal" or whether Leica might give one last hurrah and speed up the AF/enhance l-mount compatibility.

Thanks for any thoughts

Having used the original T and now the TL2, I would love to see a further iteration of the T series. Apart from enhancements to AF and speed that you have already mentioned I’m not sure what else Leica could add. Maybe make the body a little bigger to include image stabilisation. Not sure about weather sealing as non of the native TL lenses include this.

I would hate to see the T series die as I think it has the best user interface ever, and that’s coming from someone who was weaned on 1960’s TLR’s.

I am taking delivery of a CL next month but not as a replacement, it will be used in tandem with the TL2 to allow me a slightly different shooting experience.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 8:44 PM, Steven Lane said:

Having used the original T and now the TL2, I would love to see a further iteration of the T series. Apart from enhancements to AF and speed that you have already mentioned I’m not sure what else Leica could add. Maybe make the body a little bigger to include image stabilisation. Not sure about weather sealing as non of the native TL lenses include this.

I would hate to see the T series die as I think it has the best user interface ever, and that’s coming from someone who was weaned on 1960’s TLR’s.

I am taking delivery of a CL next month but not as a replacement, it will be used in tandem with the TL2 to allow me a slightly different shooting experience.

Do you recommend the switch from T to TL2? Photos are better? I have the T

9 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I have the TL, which AFAIK uses the same sensor as the T. I see no reason to upgrade to the TL2 for image quality.

So the more MP and new processor does not make difference? It's compensated for the bigger pixels of the T (less Megapixel but same size sensor)?

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

I have the CL, which is similar to the TL2, and the TL but I would not really prefer the output of one over  the other. this whole "megapixel quality" concept is a bit of fool's gold to me anyway.

But with more megapixel you can crop the pictures if you want.. So really you can't see any benefit on CL over TL? So why do you keep both?

2 hours ago, Rob7P said:

Do you recommend the switch from T to TL2? Photos are better? I have the T

Using the T and TL2 side by side, I honestly do not see a massive difference (resolution aside) between both models. When the TL2 was released, reviews convinced me that “the TL2 was what the T should have been”. On reflection, it seems to me a lot of BS. Assuming a T is patched with the latest firmware, I think it is a great camera. Yes it’s a bit slower than the TL2 but not a great deal. My opinion is based on usage not benchmarks testing which, I am sure, reveals a larger gulf between models. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rob7P said:

But with more megapixel you can crop the pictures if you want.. So really you can't see any benefit on CL over TL? So why do you keep both?

Different cameras, different experiences, I always  have  a backup camera too. I got the TL very cheap - 400 Euro mint in box and was pleasantly surprised to find it a much nicer camera than expected.

The CL is the more usable camera, especially with long lenses, and sees use going out, but the TL and 18/2.8  is  the one lying somewhere in the living room, just in case. The built-in flash is quite practical too, to balance window highlights.

Today I phoned to a Leica official store for trade in my t+23mm and buy the tl2+35lux.. He confirmed TL2 won't be unpdated and CL will be in the next 6 month but not this year. 

For the change he suggested me the Q2 because is way better than tl2+35lux.. I told him that I was interested in the 50mm field of view and he confirmed the better quality of Q2 expecially in the 3dimensionality

Someone have some confirm of this difference of quality? 

Given that Leica is potentially sunsetting support on the TL2, I would love to see the community develop jailbreaks for the camera as I think there's real potential there, much like Magic Lantern and CDHK for Canon. And since I know coders read my posts, this is now bound to happen ;) 

Okay that may be a little optimistic.

4 hours ago, Rob7P said:

Today I phoned to a Leica official store for trade in my t+23mm and buy the tl2+35lux.. He confirmed TL2 won't be unpdated and CL will be in the next 6 month but not this year. 

For the change he suggested me the Q2 because is way better than tl2+35lux.. I told him that I was interested in the 50mm field of view and he confirmed the better quality of Q2 expecially in the 3dimensionality

Someone have some confirm of this difference of quality? 

Of course TL line up is dead. The development company responsible for the project closed shop in 2018 ! 

CL + Summilux-TL 35 is better than Q2 cropped at 50mm. But surprisingly not that much better. I replaced my TL 35 with Q2 crop mode. So far so good. 

You will be fine either way 

Edited by nicci78

1 minute ago, nicci78 said:

Of course TL line up is dead. The development company responsible for the project closed shop in 2018 ! 

CL + Summilux-TL 35 is better than Q2 cropped at 50mm. But surprisingly not that much better. I replaced my TL 35 with Q2 crop mode. So far so good. 

You will be fine either way 

Now even the DNG is cropped automatically or I have to do with lightroom? At lunch only the jpeg was cropped I don't know if with software updates this is changed

I'll wait and see what they do with the new CL and than I decide.. I like more silver maybe even a Q2 silver will be lunched! :)

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

DNG stays full DNG. Q & Q2 only add instructions for in Lightroom automatic crop. You can reverse it inside Lightroom. Which is genius 

Oh thats what I would like to know thanks! An easy and fast procedure I don't want to stay days in lightroom :D