Fotos 2.2.3 released - dual card support

MediaFotografie

Well, I tried out 2.2.3 on my iPad with my SL2.  Connection was fine, maybe even a bit quicker than before, once I erased the old record of the camera and captured a new one.  But I still get the error message that 2 cards are not supported.  I suppose that I could try this with an SL[601] to see if those two cards are supported, but it is not that important to me.

Fotos 2.2.3 will not connect to my Q2 from my iPhone 12.  Nor will Fotos 2.2.2 connect from my iPad. This is an unwelcome surprise since a week ago 2.2.2 was connecting from both my phone and my iPad.

The camera briefly (and quickly) connects to Fotos on either platform and then spontaneously cuts the connection. A second later, Fotos reports that it has made a connection but it has not, in fact. Shortly thereafter Fotos catches up with the lack of signal and reports it is “reconnecting”. But it never does. Both Fotos and my camera show an endless whirligig until I turn them off.

Since two different versions of the software are (mis-)behaving identically I assume that the problem may be V3.0 of the Q2 firmware. If so, it’s disappointing that Leica did not pick up such a fundamental fault in testing. Fotos is (unfortunately) pretty much essential on the Q2 because is no other way (apart from the ‘self-timer’) to remotely operate the shutter for tripod shots.

2.2.3 worked just fine with my M10 ...first shot remotely captured at my kitchen table.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also think this fotos release is rather broken.  On Android with 2.2.1 I can connect to my SL[601], but the two-cards support doesn't work.  No files can be seen.  No error message. Remote worked as usual, although I couldn't see the result once I shot.  I have reported it.

Progress of sorts... I dug up my iPhone 8 that I put away a fortnight ago when I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro. It does connect to the camera even after I upgraded to Fotos 2.2.3. but with difficulty. It takes several attempts and persistent dismissal of the "Dismiss Bluetooth" dialog and acceptance of the phone's request to join the camera WIFI network (which fails two times out of three). But after persisting for a few minutes, I have twice connected, focussed, taken a snapshot and downloaded the JPEG.

Problem now is that I don't want to bring my old cracked-screen iPhone 8 around with me just as a remote for the camera. But there still seems nothing I can do to get it to connect to the iPhone 12. These days, it's difficult to know whether the problem is with flakey Leica software or flakey Apple systems (wifi/bluetooth) software. Apple has repeatedly disappointed with their software quality control in the past few  years.

But I'm glad there seems to be nothing fundamentally wrong with my camera. 

Thanks for the help. I'm hoping one or other of these expensive and uncommunicative companies will fix this (although probably in the course of breaking something else... )

Peter

Am 13.11.2020 um 15:20 schrieb Jeffry Abt:

I tried 2.2.3 yesterday with my SL2 I still am getting the dual card warning. But I ignored it and everything worked fine. I think I try reformatting my cards and see what happens 

Same here, did not understand the release notes of 2.2.3:

I'm also ignoring that warning,.The app used in remote, or for reviewing the pictures on chip #1 has worked OK for several releases, so I don't know why this was announced as a new improvement.  I don't have any pictures  on chip #2 at the moment.  It is only there in case I overflow chip #1.  I'd like to know what the Fotos app does now in two cases:

Chip #1 just filled up and my next shots have to go onto chip #2  -- can I see them?  Does Fotos crash if this happens while in Remote?

Chip #1 has DNGs, Chip #2 has the jpgs, and I want to share or upload  jpeg.  Can I do that? 

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

They finally got rid of the app's annoying habit of switching the SL to "P" mode when it connects. I haven't received any warning about dual cards - it seems to read both without any problem. Dragging the focus spot around the screen with your finger tends to switch the SL from Photo to Video.

4 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

They finally got rid of the app's annoying habit of switching the SL to "P" mode when it connects. I haven't received any warning about dual cards - it seems to read both without any problem. Dragging the focus spot around the screen with your finger tends to switch the SL from Photo to Video.

What camera are you using?  I still see the warning every time with SL2.  I agree that it seems to leave the camera in the state it finds it in.  I'm using Fotos with M10 (both iOS and Android) and SL2 (iOS, Android 10 not working) at present.

Edit, I'm NOT having any problems with an older phone (Moto G(4) and an older Android 7 running FOTOS on my SL2.  What experiences are other Android users having?  Is Android 10 the source of the problem?

10 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

What camera are you using?  I still see the warning every time with SL2.  I agree that it seems to leave the camera in the state it finds it in.  I'm using Fotos with M10 (both iOS and Android) and SL2 (iOS, Android 10 not working) at present.

Edit, I'm NOT having any problems with an older phone (Moto G(4) and an older Android 7 running FOTOS on my SL2.  What experiences are other Android users having?  Is Android 10 the source of the problem?

I'm running the SL (latest firmware), fed by a 2018 iPad (running the 14.1 OS).

15 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

I'm running the SL (latest firmware), fed by a 2018 iPad (running the 14.1 OS).

You're right!  I just connected to my SL [601] from an Android 10 Moto G(8) phone.  The SL has two chips installed.  I was soon scrolling through 1200 pictures.  Someone should give the team an SL2 to see what is different.  I can't even connect with the same phone and Android  to my SL2. 

The obvious thing that is different is that the SL2 offloads the connecting and simple handshake transactions to LowEnergy BlueTooth.  So does the Q2.  The SL has only WiFi. I'm glad I don't have to write this kind of an app.  Testing and finding holes is easy.

Apparently I'm not the only person having trouble with Android 10 and BTLE. I got a note from Leica Customer Support saying the problem is now recognized:

>>>>Thank you for your new feedback and data. Our developers hopefully found the reason for your and other customers connection issues with Bluetooth cameras and Android 10.

They work at a fix. Unfortunately the fix probably won’t come with the next version. There are too many other open tasks for that version.

Please be patient.<<<<

Frustrating, but that's progress.

hey, today we got 2.2.4 - again (better) dual card support; sounds promising...