Leica Q2 Monochrom

On 1/25/2021 at 11:15 AM, RobM said:

Heavily cropped selfie (via my wife clicking the shutter). I know. I have a good face for radio! 🙂

Rob,

I love the photo. The Q2M does such a nice job on the subtle tones. I like how real the image is. Your expression is serious, with depth. Tell your wife she did well. 

I do not own a Q2M, but I find monochrome portrait images some of the most compelling. Every wrinkle, blemish, eye twinkle tells a story of the life experience of the subject. An integral of struggle, joy, growth, sadness, aging. 

Your image moves me closer to buying a Q2M. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Leica Guy. Here's the pre-crop version. I prefer the crop, but included the following to see how much has been cropped out, yet the details are still very clear. 

You will love this camera!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 12

11 hours ago, RobM said:

Thanks, Leica Guy. Here's the pre-crop version. I prefer the crop, but included the following to see how much has been cropped out, yet the details are still very clear. 

I do love my Q2 and did the Q I had for four years before. A super capable and fun camera. The crop of your photo is another example of the image quality allowing significant cropping and still delivering a sharp photo. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 9:38 AM, RobM said:

Hey, Rob, I noticed the Kokopelli metal sculpture on the wall.  Did you, by any chance, get it in New Mexico?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robgo2 said:

Hey, Rob, I noticed the Kokopelli metal sculpture on the wall.  Did you, by any chance, get it in New Mexico?

No, in the local (New) Mexican product shop in Edinburgh! 🙂  My wife did live in New Mexico for a while, when researching Native American literature for a doctorate at Oxford University, so she knows all the myths and characters - I bought it for her one Christmas. The shop is small, and packed with Frida Kahlo mugs, tee-shirts, you name it, and cacti table lamps, wrestlers' masks, etc. My wife would happily live inside the shop! I see you live in New Mexico, Rob...

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 2:18 AM, RobM said:

No, in the local (New) Mexican product shop in Edinburgh! 🙂  My wife did live in New Mexico for a while, when researching Native American literature for a doctorate at Oxford University, so she knows all the myths and characters - I bought it for her one Christmas. The shop is small, and packed with Frida Kahlo mugs, tee-shirts, you name it, and cacti table lamps, wrestlers' masks, etc. My wife would happily live inside the shop! I see you live in New Mexico, Rob...

Yes, I have lived in New Mexico for almost 44 years.  Like most anglos here, I emigrated from somewhere else.  My wife and I love the place and would never leave unless circumstances force us to.  Curiously, I take few photos in the state, despite the fact that it is very scenic and has fabulous light.  I guess it's too familiar.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m surprised Leica used this image. It looks to me to show the cross-pattern in the bright light area. 

Having some coffee and reading in the morning.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 8:17 AM, Leica Guy said:

I’m surprised Leica used this image. It looks to me to show the cross-pattern in the bright light area. 

Indeed it does show the pattern. Maybe Leica are just acknowledging the issue publicly. ;)  I hope they can fix this with a firmware upgrade.

• Like 1

It's that time of the year around here. These two young Girl Scouts were too persuasive to resist, even if the cookies aren't all that great.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 10:41 PM, AaronMRamsey said:

Is it worth buying I wonder if one already owns a Q2? 

I thought so, got mine this week.  I find them complementary - the high ISO performance is something else, and I still get beautiful colour when I want it.  I recently sold a lot of equipment, so fortunately it wasn't a financial hardship.  If I had to choose one, I would find that very difficult.  The DNG files out of the Q2M are quite flat - I need to play with the settings a bit as I really like the weak blue and selenium settings for the JPGs. I am sure that I can easily achieve the same results using Capture One, but I really like the idea of having to do next to no processing...

I wondered the same thing.. and have often  wondered if i would be considered an idiot if i had 2 of the "almost same " camera  sitting on the Desk.

Careful thought  needed to be exercised here..  Not like the previous poster..  I had no extra equipment to sell  to cushion the blow(keep in mind i had already purchased the Q2  almost one year earlier to the month)I tacked on some extra overtime at work and then made a decision.

I still have to shoot a lot more with it  to make a decent comparison..The mail thing is that the Filter  isn't there.. which obviously  make the images more  vivid..  I also agree that

the DNG files of the Q2M  are Flat but i am learning to get around that.  I can't  tell you what to do.  I can tell you  that i made the decision and glad that i did!