Jono Slack Review: Leica Q2 Monochrom

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/12/2020 at 9:31 AM, marknorton said:

Question about monochrome cameras in general. The filters in the colour filter array in a colour sensor set the spectral response of the individual pixels but how is the spectral response set in a monochrome sensor to (I assume) broadly match the human eye? Is it done using the sensor cover glass? I remember in my days of B/W film, Ilford made a film called Pan F (panchromatic) intended to provide a balanced response to different colours. 

Hi There Mark

Definitely a good question, good enough indeed to get a good answer from Leica:

In a monochrome sensor the spectral sensitivity is mainly due to the silicon. But because the sensor is much too IR-sensitive, an IR-cut filter is used (as with the color sensor) to approximate the sensitivity of the eye. On the UV side, there is also some cropping at the same time, but the side is negligible”

I suppose one might have guessed, and basically you’re right in that it’s using the cover glass - interesting anyway

All the best

Jono

"The 24mp M246 Monochrom was announced on April 30th 2015. The M10-Monochrom on January 17th 2020 with a new 40mp sensor, and now, less than a year later we have the Q2 Monochrom with a 47mp sensor derived from that in the Q2 (and SL2)."

But Leica states 42MP

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

54 minutes ago, bsmith said:

"The 24mp M246 Monochrom was announced on April 30th 2015. The M10-Monochrom on January 17th 2020 with a new 40mp sensor, and now, less than a year later we have the Q2 Monochrom with a 47mp sensor derived from that in the Q2 (and SL2)."

But Leica states 42MP

<snip>

42 MP is a typo. If you look at the DNGs they are 8368x5584 (as it is described in the Technical Data document).

On 11/10/2020 at 3:50 PM, M10Alpine said:

Jono my wife might be pay you a angry visit... Jokes aside. Having had absolutely less than zero interest, of course you got my attention. My main question is who is this camera for? One focal length and monochrome mens you need to bring two cameras on most trips. Its of course sexy and of course GAS is high even if I have the M10M. Mainly because the Q is so easy to use and the output looks amazing. 

I rather fancy the crop modes to simulate 35, 50, & 75 lenses. But an even better attraction for me is the “Macro” function. 
I must say I’m giving this camera a lot of thought. I’d rather have a native 50 that would crop to 75 & 90, but that’s just me. I’d never given the Q series a second thought until now. I was all set for an M10M, but the (slightly) smaller size and not carrying two lens, plus the in-camera filters is quite enticing.

32 minutes ago, Photoskeptic said:

I rather fancy the crop modes to simulate 35, 50, & 75 lenses. But an even better attraction for me is the “Macro” function. 
I must say I’m giving this camera a lot of thought. I’d rather have a native 50 that would crop to 75 & 90, but that’s just me. I’d never given the Q series a second thought until now. I was all set for an M10M, but the (slightly) smaller size and not carrying two lens, plus the in-camera filters is quite enticing.

What kind of in-camera filters are you thinking of?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was wondering if the Q2 Monochrom was actually mildly achromatic?

Mine’s arriving this week so I hope to find out but if anyone knows it would be great to know. 

Doh! It seems that Jono answered it just a few posts earlier. Visible light IR cut off filter with slight UV bleed. 

Edited by gwelland

On 11/16/2020 at 4:24 AM, Photoskeptic said:

Same here as to native 50 that would crop to 75 and 90. Then again, I much prefer 28 over 35 so that answers that for me. I sold off all my M gear and moved into SL2 with the Sigma WA zoom and 50mm APO Cron. The 'case' I start to make, to rationalize it all, is to swap the 50mm Cron with the 90Cron (which I had intended to add anyways), and add the Q2M as a vehicle to cover 28-75 (ish), but probably more importantly, to add the flexibility (and satisfy that GAS, a bit, as well, I will admit).

But most of the time if you walk across the bridge and look downstream the view is much better.  All the cameras are pointed towards half dome so most miss the opportunity to catch this nice reflection and the tree angled over the Merced River.  OK.  Now I will regret telling everyone this as next time I go I will have to fight the crowds on the downstream side of the bridge.  
Again the smoke added quite a nice light to the image.  Like golden hour all day long. I wonder how much longer that tree will be there.  Every visit I seem to loose some of my favorite trees. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Since this thread might work as 'reviews-so-far' thread,  can't really say much after 12 hours or so, but it was easy to set up, get some menu customizations going, and very intuitive to use.

However, battery charging for the first time it's going be long. Already asked Leica and was told that first full charge will take longer -  going from the 80% to full not done yet after 9 hours..., but as I was told, the remaining 20% takes a long time, and it's a normal behavior. Just a heads up

Am 12.11.2020 um 11:18 schrieb jonoslack:

Hi Mark

That's a really interesting question . . . I would have thought they would design the cover glass so it  broadly matches the human eye, but as the human eye sees in colour even that's a bit tricky!

I might even see if I can get a response from Leica on that one.

Best

Good morning Jono!

Any news :) ?

On 11/26/2020 at 6:42 AM, tri said:

Good morning Jono!

Any news :) ?

Absolutely Tri - Further up the post. Here is a repeat

Definitely a good question, good enough indeed to get a good answer from Leica:

In a monochrome sensor the spectral sensitivity is mainly due to the silicon. But because the sensor is much too IR-sensitive, an IR-cut filter is used (as with the color sensor) to approximate the sensitivity of the eye. On the UV side, there is also some cropping at the same time, but the side is negligible”

I suppose one might have guessed, and basically you’re right in that it’s using the cover glass - interesting anyway

All the best

Jono

On 12/3/2020 at 3:54 AM, DrDaveH said:

Jon,

another reviewer expressed concern about banding in artificial light due to an electronic shutter.  Did you find a problem there?

thanks,  DavidH

You have a leaf shutter up until 1/2000th second, which is extremely quiet and would not exhibit banding in artificial light.

You can extend the shutter speed beyond 1/2000th using electronic shutter.

I'm struggling to think of a scenario where you need more than 1/2000th shutter speed in artificial light and couldn't just balance the exposure by narrowing the aperture instead.

@jonoslack

Actually, every time i see the announcement of new camera review from You, Im trying to postpone its reading and saying to myself - don't open the web page please!

When I've heard first time about Q2M, my first reaction was - no way as i have M10M

So i have decided to pass Q2M! I was so happy so i could resist.

P.S. Just paid for the half case for Q2

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 2:44 AM, EdwardM said:

@jonoslack

Actually, every time i see the announcement of new camera review from You, Im trying to postpone its reading and saying to myself - don't open the web page please!

When I've heard first time about Q2M, my first reaction was - no way as i have M10M

So i have decided to pass Q2M! I was so happy so i could resist.

P.S. Just paid for the half case for Q2

Jono doesn't make things easy....