Jono Slack Review: Leica Q2 Monochrom

• LUF Admin changed the title to Jono Slack Review: Leica Q2 Monochrom
  • LUF Admin pinned this topic
6 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

High ISO Performance

Base ISO on the Q2 Monochrom is 200, there is also a pull option of ISO 100. For this test I did comparisons at the following ISO values

Thank you for sharing your review and detailed feedback. Am I the only one here preferring the M10 result for the ISO 100-6400 range over the other cameras? Less MP is helping of course, but hey, it's a camera released in Jan 2017, almost four years ago. And it's still a gem.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the review! The pros and cons of the Q2 vs Q2 M seems to be similar to the M10R vs M10M. Not too surprising. 
I am a bit surprised that Q2M is considerable more expensive than the Q2, whereas the M10R and M10M are the same price. Was that always the case, or can we expect the Q2M price to adjust over time?

I have been considering the Q2 for the last few weeks, but thought I would wait to find out more about the monochrome as I would primarily use the camera in B&W. 

28 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Thank you for sharing your review and detailed feedback. Am I the only one here preferring the M10 result for the ISO 100-6400 range over the other cameras? Less MP is helping of course, but hey, it's a camera released in Jan 2017, almost four years ago. And it's still a gem.

Hi Dennis

Thank you!

I'm sure you aren't the only one preferring the M10, and certainly resolution isn't everything. I shoot a lot in very high contrast, and found the ISO 100 of the M10 to have rather strange highlights - but I agree it's still a gem (mine is sitting in front of me now).

Best

Edited by jonoslack
Because I idiotically called Dennis Simon!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

I shoot a lot in very high contrast, and found the ISO 100 of the M10 to have rather strange highlights

100% agree. That's why reading on line about highlights performance on M10 and your note-thoughts about it, I decided to start my Sunny 16 from 200 ISO. I use 100 ISO only when it's necessary. But from 200 to 3200, I really like best the aesthetics result of the M10.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dennis said:

100% agree. That's why reading on line about highlights performance on M10 and your note-thoughts about it, I decided to start my Sunny 16 from 200 ISO. I use 100 ISO only when it's necessary. But from 200 to 3200, I really like best the aesthetics result of the M10.

HI Dennis

Sorry to get your name wrong (busy this afternoon!)

I think that 100 ISO is good in flattish lighting, but I usually use Auto ISO anyway. 

All the best

• Like 2

Jono my wife might be pay you a angry visit... Jokes aside. Having had absolutely less than zero interest, of course you got my attention. My main question is who is this camera for? One focal length and monochrome mens you need to bring two cameras on most trips. Its of course sexy and of course GAS is high even if I have the M10M. Mainly because the Q is so easy to use and the output looks amazing. 

Two suggestions:

1. Can we stay with English in this thread? I promoted it for the German users too as we didn't have time to translate it. But it's easier for everyone if we stay with one language here.
  2. If someone has questions or assumptions about how the images where made: Why not ask the author and photographer who is present in this discussion and obviously willing to answer all questions.

Thank
Andreas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

vor 1 Stunde schrieb LUF Admin:

Two suggestions:

1. Can we stay with English in this thread? I promoted it for the German users too as we didn't have time to translate it. But it's easier for everyone if we stay with one language here.
  2. If someone has questions or assumptions about how the images where made: Why not ask the author and photographer who is present in this discussion and obviously willing to answer all questions.

Thank
Andreas

1. Haha! Since my translation program translated the page for me, I wasn't aware that I was writing in the "wrong" language. 🙂

2. An open question has been asked that the author could just as frankly answer if he wanted to. Or do you have to ask him via PM? 🙂