Problem with CL and SF 26 flash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just picked up a like new SF 26 flash for my CL. But the flash does not fire. I also don't get any "flash ready"" information in the CL viewfinder. The contacts are clean and I can manually fire the flash. I am using the CL with the Leica M adapter and M lenses in A mode if that matters. Anyone has an idea what is wrong?

The flash fires if I disable the electronic shutter. Is this a feature or a bug that the flash only fires when the electronic shutter is disabled? I can't find anything in the camera or flash manuals about this topic.

On 11/10/2020 at 5:32 PM, nicci78 said:

By the way good old SF-24D is miles better than SF-26

I'll bite.

¿ Why is the SF 24D better than the SF 26 when used with the CL ?

¿ And as both flashes are only available on the secondhand market, are they better than the current models of flash ?

SF-26 light bulb is bitsy tiny. No bigger than pop up flash... making its lighting very harsh. 
Don’t be fooled by the surrounding real estate. It is incredibly deceptive. 
SF26 has weird and non effective TTL algorithms. Making it almost impossible to predict and to control.      
Recycling time is very long with small AAA 

SF-24D has bigger light bulb. And its lightning will be more evenly spread. 
It has a very useful LCD screen (old school style B&W only)  which provide the estimated covered distance. So you can check if it is too powerful or not enough. Then alter your manual settings accordingly.    
Recycling time is fast with tiny but mighty lithium CR123A batteries. 
It also provide two diffusers to alter its native 35mm coverage to 24 and 85mm 

You can appreciate the light bulb size difference on the photos. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SF-40 or SF-60 are ok. But I found them too big for CL or Q2
SF-24D will add 175g including batteries. 
However SF-40 and SF-60 will add a whopping 300g and 400g (inc. batteries) respectively. 
The both Nissin rebranded flash cannot be flatten for easy storage in a bag. They kept their cubic shape. Which is  very annoying, when use with thin shoulder bags, such as Billingham Hadley. Where you can store SF-24D in front pocket. Rather than within the main compartment, competing for space with cameras and optics. 

I think nicci78  is rather harsh in his opinion of the SF26. Within its limitations it is quite effective and being slim and light takes up very little room in a bag or even a pocket. I do not use a flash often but on indoor family and social occasions it can prove very effective. I find the  TTL quite reliable. Quite a few of the regular contributors on this forum have indicated that they like  the SF26.

54 minutes ago, ayewing said:

I think nicci78  is rather harsh in his opinion of the SF26. Within its limitations it is quite effective and being slim and light takes up very little room in a bag or even a pocket. I do not use a flash often but on indoor family and social occasions it can prove very effective. I find the  TTL quite reliable. Quite a few of the regular contributors on this forum have indicated that they like  the SF26.

+1 and the 24 doesn't have a tilting head so it's always been a no no for me anyway. The LED of the 26 is handy too. BTW funny to read how much LUF members did like the 24 a dozen years ago. ;)

13 hours ago, jaapv said:

Actually, the reflector of the SF 40 can be swung up to flatten it, fitting it exactly into a Minilux Zoom case. 

Actually the reflector when tilted up, is not flushed with the main body. So it is not flat at all. It has a very weird shape that way. Hard to store in a bag. An maybe too flimsy 

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

Actually the reflector when tilted up, is not flushed with the main body. So it is not flat at all. It has a very weird shape that way. Hard to store in a bag. An maybe too flimsy 

Stores  just fine in the  front pouch of my Billingham for Leica...