Monochrom 1 CCD new sensor

IWC Doppel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Time to admit I need a replacement sensor, I dont think this is just dust !?

I had my M9-P replaced under warranty I think that no longer an option now ?

F11 outside pointed at the non clear sky

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by IWC Doppel
typo

5 minutes ago, IWC Doppel said:

I need a replacement sensor,

Shame. I think the only option now is going with a US based third party for a replacement, and I also think you will have to factor in VAT etc. when the camera is re-imported.

• Thanks 1

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/313260-sensor-corrosion-analysis-and-fix-merged/page/12/#comments

You might send a PM to Jadon in the above thread- he has changed out the cover glass on the M9, and has offered to look at the M Monochrom. Kolari will not service the M Monochrom, the glue used is different from the M9.

ONSEMI stopped manufacturing all CCD's, including the KAF-18500. Dalsa did the same, no longer makes CCD based sensors. Hamamatsu still makes scientific grade CCD's, but small compared to the 35mm format. 

The M9, M Monochrom, and M-E are the last of a breed.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, IWC Doppel said:

£3.2k to trade in.

€5773 for M10 Monochrom. If you can afford it, probably a good deal against a corroded M9 Monochrom, although not to be confused with cheap. Bummer if you are happy with the M9 though. Might be worth a 'phone call to see if they have just one Monochrom sensor lurking in a cupboard.

Red Dot have a low activation Monochrom with 'new-new' sensor for £3200, but they are closed for the 'lockdown'.

Edited by pedaes
  • Thanks 1

Doppel:

Now that you know you have a corroded sensor, retake a photo with 50-75% of the sky not included in the composition, like a building ,or a car, or a street scene, and post it for us to see. Ask yourself, can I live with the bad sensor and use a different body for any landscape shots or other shots where it would appear? You're probably not too excited by my thinking but a used Sony full-frame A7RII is running in the $850-$1050 range and would still allow the use of your M glass for landscape work. I would think the monochrome is much to valuable to right it off at this time. I would wait it out and see if some one steps up with a confirmed solution. Further more I would go out and shoot with it at f/11 or whatever aperture you desire and leave 75% sky compositions to another day, at least with the MM. 

It's a helluva a camera, corrosion or not. Mine has it. I use it!

WORK AROUND IT!

Edited by codocee
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, codocee said:

Doppel:

Now that you know you have a corroded sensor, retake a photo with 50-75% of the sky not included in the composition, like a building ,or a car, or a street scene, and post it for us to see.

Do you see the way the mid tones merge into the highlights of the clouds in the OP's example photo? That is precisely why the monochrom CCD sensor is so good and makes the camera exceptional. Take that away and you may as well convert a colour image to B&W.

Yes I was thinking about a Lightroom filter, I do notice it in normal use when using wide angle, at F4.5, an example here of a recent wide open on a Voigtlander F15, but not too bad unless its highlighting something plain

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IWC Doppel said:

I am boxing up my camera and sending it to ACS, they seem confident of a repair for potentially a few hundred pounds, fingers crossed 

I've used them for many years, they have converted my M8 to IR (but said it was extremely hard and would not do another M8.) I've had a few Leica T's converted, as well as many others over the years and I have always been very impressed with their work. Might be time to start looking a nice Leica M9P with original sensor issue for under £1000, perfect partner for my M9M.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am delighted to confirm that I have had a chat with Advanced Camera Services today who have just successfully replaced the sensor glass on an M9 Monochrome (if someone from this forum sent their monochrome to them then be happy, it's fixed.).

I had every confidence in their ability. Now, there will obviously be a disclaimer to sign but I think this is excellent news for all of us with an M9 series camera (even M9-P) because we now have a verified solution in England. I cannot quote prices yet, but I can tell you this, it is very reasonable considering other companies charge £800+postage overseas.

Happy Xmas everyone. Long live the M9

• Like 3

On 11/23/2020 at 2:57 PM, IWC Doppel said:

I am boxing up my camera and sending it to ACS, they seem confident of a repair for potentially a few hundred pounds, fingers crossed 

I believe it is your M9M they have fixed, congratulations.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:58 PM, Marac said:

I've used them for many years, they have converted my M8 to IR (but said it was extremely hard and would not do another M8.) I've had a few Leica T's converted, as well as many others over the years and I have always been very impressed with their work. Might be time to start looking a nice Leica M9P with original sensor issue for under £1000, perfect partner for my M9M.

That’s excellent news !!!