So you've got a M10x - what else do you carry?

Jadcx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I wait for my own M10 reality to emerge, I've been doing a lot of reading and YouTube watching learning how other photographers (some professionals, some not) work.  One of the things that stand out is that many people who are at the level of having a 'daily carry' or similar levels of habit also carry more than one camera.  For example, the Ricoh GR III seems to be a popular companion.  So I was wondering what others' experiences are.  Do you?  If so what?  And why?  How does this compliment your M10x use?

And no, I'm not already planning my next purchase, not consciously at least, I'm just curious.

Only if I work for an assignment or event, I carry my M10 as second body. For daily photographs (street, landscape, travel etc) I carry and use only one camera: M10. I don't need more than one camera, I don't want it. I'm super happy with "just" an M10. Less gear, simplest, focus on the moment.

• Like 3

A M RF with 40 or 50mm and a compact camera with 28mm view is a fine combination; arguably more versatile that two Ms with the same lenses.

The Ricoh GR cameras are peerless when it comes to one handed operation ; coupled with the LCD live view, holding the camera up high or low with arm extended facilitates compositions and focusing that would be guesswork with a M. The Leica TL2 or CL with 18mm or 18-56 can be used in a similar fashion, but the ergonomics of grip and dial placement are not quite as good.

Never tried one; how well does the Q/Q2 handle at arms length ?

Edited by FrozenInTime
  • Like 2

In the backyard:

m10-R + APO-Summicron-M 50

In the neighbourhood:

M10-R + APO-Summicron-M 50

M10 + Tele-Elmar 135mm

Summicron asph 35 (in the pocket)

Downtown:

M10-R + APO-Summicron-M 50

M10 + Summicron asph 35

CL + APO-Vario-Elmar-TL 55–135

Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11–23 (in the pocket)

AdiM

Edited by mustafasoleiman
  • Like 2

I own verious camera-systems, mainly because I am too much of a gear head. For example besides the M10r a NikonD500 for sports and action, also a Leica Cl if it should be small, and some more. If I go to vacation I often bring one main system and a small companion. But I allmost never carry both at the same time. I dont see why I should bring a smaller camera a long with the M10, if I have the M10 with me anyways? Mayb as a pro who needs allways a backup, or on a once in a liftime occasion, yes. The times when I choose the M-system is mostyl the times when I want it simple and therefore not bring another camera. I once had a second M-body, but even that seemed to gear loaded.

I was originally a Canon user with a wide range of L prime lenses. When I got my first Leica (M9) in 2016, it was almost meant as a toy in addition to my "real" camera. But imperceptibly, this gradually changed as I used the Leica camera more and more. It was so addictive and fun to use. When the M10 was released in 2017, I immediately bought it, and I sold all of my Canon gear.

So everything was turned upside down. Today I am a full time Leica user, and have no desire for anything else.

• Like 5

M10P, traded in at Leica my M9 after sensor corrosion.

Kept my M9Mono after sensor corrosion repair.

Having fun with M7 and the one film-M I always wanted, M5 in perfect shape.

Fuji GFX50S and X-Pro3 for when I want autofocus or lots of GFX mega pixels. 

It depends...

If I go hiking, I usually take my M10R with 50 summilux + WATE + summarit 90. In addition, I give my Q2 to my spouse (who from time to time has to borrow me the Q2 back 😉).

For city walks basically the same. Sometimes only the 50 or/and 35 or/and CV 21/1.4

If I expect to do some wildlife photo shooting, I also take my Nikon Z7 with the 300PF and 1.4 teleconverter and my small Leica ultravid 10x binoculars.

Sometimes also accompanied by my drone Mavic 2 pro.

If I go on holiday, all the above plus a small Lumix TZ200 as Backup and a WD mobile SSD storage.

Probably odd man out..on a Leica forum. 

For a casual stroll, I currently carry the M10 and Sony A7rIV. I've like carrying two cameras mounted so I don't have to change lenses while out and about. I can swap M lenses between both cameras for those times I am willing to change lenses. Or I can stick with AF kit and RF/MF kit. For me I am comfortable with AF or RF, still or movement. Carrying two cameras is more about having ready access to two separate prime FLs or one prime kit and one zoom kit without having to change lenses. 

I have a lot of gear but have fairly specific kits I use depending on what I'm doing. Ignoring work for a bit, where I might have several bags of gear and lights...

From my experience I know I can do 95% of my daily shooting with a 28/50/90 kit. Then I add specialty gear depending on where I'm going or if I'm out for a purpose.

My smallest kit is an M10M and a MATE ( my current favourite) or an M10R with a 28, 50 and 90 macro plus a spare battery. Neither requires a bag but I do carry the extra lenses in a small belt pouch if I go with the latter. I can go longer, faster or wider but this is my go to.

For AF I either go with an SL2/Q2 combo (with 50 and 90 crons) or an X1D (with the zoom and a 100mm HCD) and build from there. I can go from 12mm to 400 with the SL2/S1R as well as specialty stuff for work (tilt shift etc).

I have a closet of other gear (Sony, Nikon, Fuji, CL, S, Olympus, Pentax) which really doesn't get much use. I really should purge it out.

Gordon