Leica Digilux 2 Replacement Sensor?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I always regret selling my Digilux 2. 

I have a few memorable pictures took with it that I love, (like the one attached below looks way sharper if click the original on Flickr) and for a long time I been thinking in getting another one for a reasonable price, I am well aware of its limitations and it won't be in any competition against my modern cameras, is just for fun. So my question is if the sensor is prone to failure? I assume for such an old camera won't be any more replacement parts, but I think is worth enjoy it until it last shutter click.

Thanks for your comments,

Ricardo

Edited by rivi1969
  • Like 1

Rivi hello!

Good questions. Well, like any piece of electronics of a certain age, finding spares is going to be more difficult as time goes on.

New or replacement batteries are rarer than they once were, but are still available.

Plus the small group of current D2 users is but a small percentage of the total number of cameras still out there, and perhaps in time groups such as ours will be able to pool parts and old cameras for salvage and parts replacement, and maybe even convince a camera mechanic to specialize in the D2. (I know of a local camera repair fellow here in the Los Angeles area I might have a word or two with, for instance.) Also, knowing that the D2 has a lot in common with the Panasonic LC1, for instance, might mean that some of the parts are interchangeable, I'm no expert.

However, where there's a will, there's a way, and this group of D2 users has proven that the useful life of this digital camera has outlasted most others of its vintage.

Yes, its sensor can be an issue, but I believe the price of a used D2 today is such that we can afford to buy two or three of these as and when we come by them (for the price of a newer model Leica, especially), and hold onto them for spares or replacements as time takes it toll.

As you can see from this thread, as long as we're not going crazy with trying for large format prints or posters, the number of megapixels in the D2 sensor is quite sufficient to keep ourselves well entertained, and centered on the job of using a superior optical tool to craft good to great images. 

• Like 2

I know of a local camera repair fellow here in the Los Angeles area I might have a word or two with, for instance.

Please ask him if a modern sensor, maybe 12 mp, could be fitted to the camera. A modern replacement for the viewfinder might also be available. The firmware would have to be updated, but that shouldn't be an issue. What a camera that would be!

John R.

Edited by jrethorst
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just found in another forum that a D2 owner contact Leica NJ because his sensor died, and they respond that they don't have any more parts. I agree with the idea of getting a couple of specimens including the Lumix version since it is exactly the same guts, and have them on hold as donors. (I never saw sensors sold on eBay)

"Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, the Digilux 2 can no longer be repaired, spare parts are not available anymore."

I wonder which other cameras from the same age share that Sony CCD sensor, I doubt would be proprietary of the LC1 and D2, maybe other cams can be found on the used market as spares. I found the reference model: ICX282AQ it is along shot, in case someone could know if there is a list of cameras using each sensor.

Edited by rivi1969

14 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

I wonder which other cameras from the same age share that Sony CCD sensor, I doubt would be proprietary of the LC1 and D2, maybe other cams can be found on the used market as spares. I found the reference model: ICX282AQ it is along shot, in case someone could know if there is a list of cameras using each sensor.

Attached screenshot is from my ebay purchase in February, showing the Sony F717 as a camera that uses this sensor. There's another Sony that uses it; I don't remember the model number but it was something like 707. There are several 717 cameras on ebay right now. A search didn't turn up any raw sensors now, but you could contact the seller.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrethorst said:

Attached screenshot is from my ebay purchase in February, showing the Sony F717 as a camera that uses this sensor. There's another Sony that uses it; I don't remember the model number but it was something like 707. There are several 717 cameras on ebay right now. A search didn't turn up any raw sensors now, but you could contact the seller.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's interesting. I will check with a guy that repair cameras in Chicago if he thinks could be doable the donor thing. I wouldn't mind buying a couple of those spares, or even the 717 cameras just in case!

There's quite a few Leica M camera collectors who now have stores. The biggest one is probably David Chan out of Hong Kong, who owns more than 1,000 Leica M and earlier cameras, reportedly. Nothing digital, of course.

But nothing to say that someone enterprising won't be able to jump in on the D2 side and stock up. All we need is the one reputable and reasonable long-term steady third party supplier/repair person and this group would be set!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:25 AM, rivi1969 said:

In fact it was a special design for Panasonic/Leica, not off the shelf. I have seen reports of users replacing them with sensors sourced from other cameras, though, with some success.

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

In fact it was a special design for Panasonic/Leica, not off the shelf. I have seen reports of users replacing them with sensors sourced from other cameras, though, with some success.

The shop who repaired a faulty EVF from one of my cameras reply yesterday that they don't think is possible to create a FrankenLux. At least they can't.

In fact, the service (successful or not) would cost more than a used -and still- working D2, so I guess is not worthy.

Anyway I will try to buy one and enjoy it for the time it lasts, with luck could be years, who knows!

11 hours ago, jrethorst said:

For more on the sensor and replacing it, see:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4433642

I think one of the posters, John Corson, has experience with replacement procedure.

Thank you , interesting reading, I sent John a DM to see if he can elaborate a little more with his findings. The Japanese spare parts link he shared said they have hundreds of those sensors brand new available, but pretty expensive, like $350 USD each :( plus the fee of whoever might perform the sensor replacement! 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Ernstk said:

Mine went back to Wetzlar about 4 years ago for a new sensor and overhaul. It's still working perfectly and producing great images.

Ernst

We don't see much feedback on satisfactory maintenence and servicing of veteran digital cameras.  So, thank you for your contribution. Long may you derive pleasure from your Digilux 2 camera.

• Like 2