Supported Memory Card size

WPCello

Here is what was told to me and which I find wise: use a 16GB card.  If your card gets trashed you will have lost less.  On vacation it is so much better to fill a bunch of small cards and lose one than fill one large card and lose that.  YMMV

• Like 2

Get the biggest card you can and back it up to your phone regularly. Good idea to do while on holidays as well. With Hotel wifi back up your phone to the cloud. Now the photos are in three different places. 

I don't know about Android but Apple sell a lightning to SD card reader dongle.  

1 hour ago, AndrewDD said:

I had no idea this was an issue. I've been using SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB for years without any problem - in fact I got one following a recommendation on this forum!

Here's my inquiry to Leica and their response:

I have a Leica M-D Type 262. I have read that it will support a maximum memory card of 32g. I have been using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb card (which was sold to me with the camera) with no apparent problems. Please advise.

The 32GB is not a limit for the camera, it’s just the most amount of memory you can get on an SDHC style card.  The SDXC category starts at 48GB and in this case, you have one of those at 64GB.  You could go higher still but, we would recommend staying where you are.

Issued resolved.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, jaapv said:

Why not two of the cards you have good experiences with?

There are two main reasons:

1. I'm a courious person :)
  2. I own other cameras that can support for sure 128 GB cards and in the end having 1 big memory is more convenient than having 2 smaller ones. I must admit that in 20 years of digital photography I've never had a single card failure so I'm not worried of loosing a lot of GBs of photo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 5:03 PM, Michele Solmi said:

I must admit that in 20 years of digital photography I've never had a single card failure so I'm not worried of loosing a lot of GBs of photo.

Happened to me once in about 20 years in spite (or because?) of the card being new. A superb Sony Tough which died on me for no obvious reason. So my better advice is two 64GB cards instead of one 128GB, unless you have an M11 with internal storage too.

• Like 1

I use 128gb lexar and SanDisk no problem. Never had an issue with the M240 card reader. Some folk have trauma memory from the M9 ;)

I copy pics taken during the day to a laptop every night. I never format an SD card whilst travelling, just pop in another one when full. So the pictures stay on the sd card as a kind of back up of a back up.

In many decades of photography, I have only ever lost pictures once. It was a card on a Canon 5d. The photos were there but randomised pixels, so must have been a corruption collaboration between the camera and the card 😀 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Here we are... almost 2.5k of DNG in my old 240 ❤️ 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2022 at 6:46 PM, Michele Solmi said:

Hello,

I'm about to stay away from home for some weeks and I'm not sure to have the possibility to backup regularly my .DNG. I have good experiences with M240 and 64GB Sandisk SD. Has someone tried 128 GB card? 

Thank you very much

No problem with 128gb lexar here (1667x model).

I've had 30+ years in a global technology company.

One of my regular tasks was to explain to Global 500 clients that technology should only be used in the documented supported (ie tested) scenarios.

Any usage outside of this may result in 'unpredictable outcomes'.

To me, photographs are an archive of memories, which often cannot be reproduced (exactly), so I do encourage users to avoid unpredictable outcomes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dugby said:

I've had 30+ years in a global technology company.

One of my regular tasks was to explain to Global 500 clients that technology should only be used in the documented supported (ie tested) scenarios.

Any usage outside of this may result in 'unpredictable outcomes'.

To me, photographs are an archive of memories, which often cannot be reproduced (exactly), so I do encourage users to avoid unpredictable outcomes.

Amen, Brother