Leica M7 unable to read Fujicolor's ISO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello there!

I have a slight but not to severe problem. I've noticed that my Leica M7 is not able to read the DX code of these two specific films: Fujifilm Superia X-Tra 400 and Fujifilm Fujicolor C200. For these two films I get the ISO value of 5000 and 3200 which are obviously wrong. For example, Fujifilm Pro 400H is working perfectly fine, the ISO detection works without problems. Further I tried several other films like Kodak Ektar 100, Kodak Portra 160 and 400, Ilford FP4+ 125 and so on... and the dx detection worked perfectly fine on every single one of these films. I compared the working ones with the "malfunctioning" films and the only difference I noticed is that the black paint in the dx code is a kind of green, it's not a perfect black, more like a darkish green, definitely not a true black. Could this maybe be the reason?
The thing is, I've sent my camera to Leitz for a grand- overhaul just 3 weeks back. They changed and renewed a lot of parts including thr DX- reader so the camera is like brand new. Unluckily I've no clue if it had the same problem before it went to Leitz because I've not shot one of these films before.

It would be a great help if somebody has an answer or maybe a similar problem!

Regards
Alex

Edited by FakeRazer
Stichworte ergänzt

Hello Alex,

Welcome to the Forum.

The DX reader reads the little boxes on the cartridge to determine film speed WRITTEN ON THE BOX,  the number of exposures on that roll, & the ACTUAL speed of that roll of film in that box.

If you hold the film cartridge sideways with the little  "nubbin" in your left hand & turn the cartridge so that you can see the 2 lines of little boxes:

The top line is the film speed written on the box. The film speed indicator in the camera reads the film speed written on the box. When your camera tells you that the film speed is 5000, that means that it is reading the entire top roll as silver/white. When it reads 3200 that means that it is reading all of the top roll of boxes as silver/white except for the last box on the far right. Which it read as black.

Best Regards,

Michael