AGeoJO

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

Well I found out how to set the ISO on the Nikon SB-28 Dx and it works fine on the M8 in A mode. So really all need to do is manual set the zoom if you want to and flash aperture set button. But it is smaller than my Metz-54 and will serve my second body and as backup. Just bought a Stofen for it and next week they both get a lot of action in Florida

... I've actually never liked the TTL on the 24D anyways. The pre-flash is much too distracting ...

Ron--

Try it again with the current firmware if you haven't. The delay is greatly reduced. Not as good as we would like, but maybe at least marginally usable.

--HC

I wanted to ask a flash question and here is a whole thread on it.

My question is, Is there a way to get the flash to fire above 1/250? I can sync a flash on the DMR up to 1/350 which helps with full daylight flash work.

I can work up to 1/750 if I have to and still get half a frame of flash lit subject, the rest is lit by ambient. As long as I put the subject I want flashed in the half of the frame that allows the flash through you cannot tell I synced at such a crazy speed.

On the M8 the output will not fire above 1/250 even in manual mode.

I am not using a dedicated flash, an Nikon SB26 instead, all manual stuff.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wanted to ask a flash question and here is a whole thread on it.

My question is, Is there a way to get the flash to fire above 1/250? I can sync a flash on the DMR up to 1/350 which helps with full daylight flash work.

I can work up to 1/750 if I have to and still get half a frame of flash lit subject, the rest is lit by ambient. As long as I put the subject I want flashed in the half of the frame that allows the flash through you cannot tell I synced at such a crazy speed.

On the M8 the output will not fire above 1/250 even in manual mode.

I am not using a dedicated flash, an Nikon SB26 instead, all manual stuff.

I don't see why the camera will not fire its shutter at any speed you manually select, as long as it is not detecting a dedicated flash. It may be detecting what it thinks is a dedicated flash when you mount the Nikon as the pins are very similar to Leica. I sometimes use a tiny Minox 8 x 11 flash and I have to sync it at 1/125 or it does not work. The flash duration of the SF24-D is quite short. See below.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

to round the info up

I am using a non dedicated flash, all pins except teh firing pin (center) are covered with tape. M8 set on manual, flash set on manual. The M8 shutter fires at any speed up to 1/8000 as it should, it has no idea a flash is connected. The flash is only being fired at 1/250 or less.

I can use the DMR or a 10D and fire the flash at any speed up to full shutter speed even if the sensor does not see the full frame flash. The flash fires everytime.

to round the info up

I am using a non dedicated flash, all pins except teh firing pin (center) are covered with tape. M8 set on manual, flash set on manual. The M8 shutter fires at any speed up to 1/8000 as it should, it has no idea a flash is connected. The flash is only being fired at 1/250 or less.

I can use the DMR or a 10D and fire the flash at any speed up to full shutter speed even if the sensor does not see the full frame flash. The flash fires everytime.

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you fire a 10d or 5d or DMR or whatever over 1/250 (IIRC) then it won't synch, unless you use a HSS system like Canon does.

So what's the point of firing the flash if it doesn't work?

Just curious...

Jamie,

it does work, for starters on the DMR I get 1/350 full frame with my Metz 54, secondly just becasue the full frame is not lit does not mean I cannot use it, I may only want the flash to light what is in half the frame, let ambient take care of the rest.

Strobist: Hacking Your Camera's Sync Speed, Pt. 2 as a better explanation of partial frame synching.

Regarding the SB-20/M8 combination. If I understand you correctly, you are mounting the SB20 directly onto the M8 shoe, and using the flash on manual? The flash will fire without a PC cord? The voltage will not short out the M8?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Roy Benson

Well I found out how to set the ISO on the Nikon SB-28 Dx and it works fine on the M8 in A mode. So really all need to do is manual set the zoom if you want to and flash aperture set button. But it is smaller than my Metz-54 and will serve my second body and as backup. Just bought a Stofen for it and next week they both get a lot of action in Florida

Guy

How did you manage to get the ISO to change on the SB-28 DX ?

I have yet to find a way of making that happen on the sb800.

Although I sold my Sb28dx's years ago, I would gladly pick up a used one again if it worked well with the M8.

Thanks for your help

Guest guy_mancuso

A ha i thought i could not do it either but when you turn it on the ISO is flashing so you can go up or down on the plus and minus. Than hit mode and cycle it to A and it sticks there. Than hit SEL which is select and set the aperture you want i use 5.6. Than really only change you may want to make when shooting is the zoom feature to pick your focal length. i use a stofen but still zoom it.

It also handled the black drop really well, most times shots like this tend to go over because it is trying to light the black , but here it held on very well with a proper exposure.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A ha i thought i could not do it either but when you turn it on the ISO is flashing so you can go up or down on the plus and minus. Than hit mode and cycle it to A and it sticks there. Than hit SEL which is select and set the aperture you want i use 5.6. Than really only change you may want to make when shooting is the zoom feature to pick your focal length. i use a stofen but still zoom it.

It also handled the black drop really well, most times shots like this tend to go over because it is trying to light the black , but here it held on very well with a proper exposure.

Great

I will see if that's also true with the sb800. If not, I guess I will look for a used sb28dx .... can't be very expensive at this point I think.

Many thanks for the help.

Karen sayre

Jamie,

it does work, for starters on the DMR I get 1/350 full frame with my Metz 54, secondly just becasue the full frame is not lit does not mean I cannot use it, I may only want the flash to light what is in half the frame, let ambient take care of the rest.

Strobist: Hacking Your Camera's Sync Speed, Pt. 2 as a better explanation of partial frame synching.

Cool on the DMR; I'll have to try that out. But anyway, can't you use HSS with a Metz 54 and the dedicated module? I think you can with the R9 body...

But you're right, the M8 simply doesn't fire above the synch speed; the same as the film Ms.

(and I just gotta say, that's one ugly flash technique the strobist is showing. There's about a gazillion ways to get that kid in better light for a shot. To a man with hammer, though...)

Actually, that SB800 looks fabulous for a manual guy like me--if it's as easy to dial down as the Canon, and includes an A mode, then I'm all over it...

(I wish the Metz 54 wasn't quite the powerhouse it is--or that you could turn it down more... I hate direct flash that overpowers the ambient from on the camera... I guess I'll find some way to wire it up as a second flash with a PW or something...).

Guest guy_mancuso

Be nice to know if the SB 800 would let you set the ISO. i don't think it can because the new Nikons are all camera dedicated, meaning there completely driven by camera. The older ones gives us some options this is for strictly A mode and going that way and to do it you need to set the ISO and set the Aperture on the flash or you will never get it right easily.