Chinese lenses - image thread

TheGodParticle/Hari

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, SiOnara said:

Disagree. I use lots of Leica lenses along with my 7Artisans and Zeiss and Voigtlander. I love shooting them all. They all have different fingerprints. Some perfect, some imperfect. It’s not always about cost. 

Horses for courses. Freedom of choice is great! Getting out and shooting with whatever gear you like is the most important goal.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, budjames said:

Horses for courses. Freedom of choice is great! Getting out and shooting with whatever gear you like is the most important goal.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Exactly.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dennis said:

M10 + TT 35/1.4

From the window of my car, while my wife is driving 🙂  (there is always a chance to shoot). Wide open at large distance/infinity. Love the rendering, not as sharp, to make more cinematic the mood. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Very nice mood.  I can imagine is shot 2.35:1 

• Thanks 1

I bought the 7artisans 28mm f/1.4 Asph FE+ for use with my Nikon Z6, but sold it after getting a good deal on a 28mm Summicron-M Asph II (which in turn made me get the Z6 sensor modified for M mount lenses).

Here's the shocking truth: at infinity the cheap Chinese lens was sharper in the center @ f/2.8 than the Leica! 

The 7artisans lens was also impressively sharp wide open at short distances, but need to be stopped down to f/4 for infinity shooting. At f/5.6 it was sharp corner to corner. In the end, I sold the 7A since I try to minimize the number of lenses of the same focal length and (with the Kolari UT sensor mod) the Summicron is usably sharp corner to corner wide open.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, Dennis said:

Not sure about what you ask, but both images are from a TT artisan 35mm shoot at f/1.4. I hope this helps

Oh I was just referring to the aspect ratio. Can imagine it would look good shot widescreen CinemaScope style. 

Edited by SiOnara
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, LarsHP said:

I bought the 7artisans 28mm f/1.4 Asph FE+ for use with my Nikon Z6, but sold it after getting a good deal on a 28mm Summicron-M Asph II (which in turn made me get the Z6 sensor modified for M mount lenses).

Here's the shocking truth: at infinity the cheap Chinese lens was sharper in the center @ f/2.8 than the Leica! 

The 7artisans lens was also impressively sharp wide open at short distances, but need to be stopped down to f/4 for infinity shooting. At f/5.6 it was sharp corner to corner. In the end, I sold the 7A since I try to minimize the number of lenses of the same focal length and (with the Kolari UT sensor mod) the Summicron is usably sharp corner to corner wide open.

Finally someone with similar conclusion. I own Summicron 28 v1 and as much as I like it (it is my most used lens) I constantly realise it is not the most suitable for infinity shots. 

@LarsHP your comment as well as @SiOnara comment related to SL + 7Artisan performance are very useful. I shall try 7Artisan 28 in the future. Price is really not an obstacle 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobram said:

Finally someone with similar conclusion. I own Summicron 28 v1 and as much as I like it (it is my most used lens) I constantly realise it is not the most suitable for infinity shots. 

@LarsHP your comment as well as @SiOnara comment related to SL + 7Artisan performance are very useful. I shall try 7Artisan 28 in the future. Price is really not an obstacle 🙂 

I should add that outside the center the 7A FE+ was worse on the stock Z6 even though the Summicron Asph II wasn't performing nearly as well as it can (since the sensor glass is much thicker than the lens is designed for).

Note: Choose the "correct" 7A version for your camera. If you shoot a Leica M, get the regular version. If you shoot a mirrorless camera, get the FE+ version.

Leica 28mm Summicron-M Asph II @ f/2.8 on stock Nikon Z6.

Full res, but cropped. Moderate sharping in ACR. Saved in medium JPG-quality.

7Artisans 28mm f/1.4 Asph FE+ @ f/2.8 on stock Nikon Z6.

Full res, but cropped. Moderate sharping in ACR. Saved in medium JPG-quality.

The performance of the 7artisans 28mm f/1.4 Asph FE+ at infinity is awful (see image below) while at medium distances it is bad outside the center. Stopping down to at least f/2.8 helps, and at f/4 and f/5.6 it performs very well and excellent respectively. 

At short distances, where the fast f/1.4 aperture really shows, it fortunately performs well outside the center. (Full image with 100% crop inserted.)

• Like 1

I just discovered that the site scales down images even though it's within the 2.44MB limit. This means that the above landscape images are far from the full 24MP resolution. The last image with the ballerina-figure is not downsized though.

I just pick up a 7 artisan 50 1. and  found it to  be for me  sharp  wide open and closing down a stop  or two extremely sharp with micro separation. 

The first taken at f1.1 and the 2nd at f4

Edited by Henry Taylor
added f stops
  • Like 9

On 4/3/2021 at 4:36 PM, Henry Taylor said:

I just pick up a 7 artisan 50 1. and  found it to  be for me  sharp  wide open and closing down a stop  or two extremely sharp with micro separation. 

The first taken at f1.1 and the 2nd at f4

I do love this lens.  Wide open is pretty wild and quite unpredictable. It’s a fun lens to shoot on the M10D where you can’t really check anything after the shot.  I use on my SL2 too but the rear of the lens touches the camera body when close focusing so you have to be careful. 

7 Artisans 50 1.1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

M10M, 35mm LLL 8e replica

• Like 5

On 4/10/2021 at 2:25 AM, SiOnara said:

I do love this lens.  Wide open is pretty wild and quite unpredictable. It’s a fun lens to shoot on the M10D where you can’t really check anything after the shot.  I use on my SL2 too but the rear of the lens touches the camera body when close focusing so you have to be careful. 

On 4/10/2021 at 2:25 AM, SiOnara said:

Yes I already tried a Fotasy and the new 7artisans adapter and didn't work . I then called Fotodiox and they guarantee that theirs do focus at infinity with the 7 artisans 50mm f1.1. So I placed an order yesterday and when it comes in will let you know if it works.

• Like 1