Jump to content

Chinese lenses - image thread


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/6/2020 at 7:22 AM, jdlaing said:

I assume the building and the clock tower is your main subject, but it looks to me the clock is seriously out of focus. 

I have tested almost every TTArtisan and 7artisans, they are very sweet when well calibrated, but not every sample is well calibrated when out of box. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leica M9 + 7Artisans 50mm f1.1  Stop down to F2.8 Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

TTArtisan 1.4 at 1.4 Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Well, it's been posted elsewhere before but here's one of the first images I shot after receiving my (first) 7Artisans 50mm f1.1. Shot wide-open at 1/30 on a moving underground (subway) train; Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Philip.

Posted Images

On 11/6/2020 at 9:15 AM, pgk said:

I tried a cheap 35/2 lens from China and found that it wasn't as good as I had hoped wide open. I sold it with full disclosure to its new and happy owner who is unlikely to use it wide open. It was ok stopped down. My point of posting is that you get, to an extent, what you pay for. Performance is going to be tested most where it is difficult to ensure - wide open and close up. And a cheap lens is cheap because production costs are low - cheaper labour costs and cheaper actual manufacturing costs. In my case I had the lens looked at by a very well known Leica repairer who confirmed that it had low possibilities of internal adjustment. So you get it as it arrives and whilst some adjustments may be possible, others are not. In essence the mechanics, whilst adequate, are built to a specification and the degree of adjustability and optimisation of the optic is limited. A friend is a lens designer. He tells me that testing during manufacture is a high part of lens cost. So if a manufacturer simply relies on a high level of accuracy during manufacture, with little check or adjustability during or after manufacture, you can get a great lens or a mediocre lens depending on tolerance and assembly - but the poor one may be difficult to adjust to make it better. I post this because whilst many Chinese built lenses are good, there is a reason why some are cheap. Sophisticated lenses require careful manufacture and no matter where they are made the principles of tight tolerances, careful assembly and constant testing and the need for built in adjustability will push prices up. All that said, if you are happy to shoot stopped down a bit then cheap lenses can produce great results.

Don't expect it to be a Leica. None of 7Artisans or TTartisan is up to that standard yet.

But they are very good lenses nonetheless. Definitely in the same grade of any well regarded other brand M mount. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

I assume the building and the clock tower is your main subject, but it looks to me the clock is seriously out of focus. 

I have tested almost every TTArtisan and 7artisans, they are very sweet when well calibrated, but not every sample is well calibrated when out of box. 

Only when you pixel peep on the image here on a degraded image. The clock is in focus just fine the same as the date.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Don't expect it to be a Leica. None of 7Artisans or TTartisan is up to that standard yet.

But they are very good lenses nonetheless. Definitely in the same grade of any well regarded other brand M mount. 

The problems with making really good lenses (I am told by a lens designer friend) is that they need highly exacting tolerances and  assembly and testing through the assembly process. Both are time consuming and consequently expensive. And the first requires careful and exacting machining. The second requires that any deviations from acceptably and tight tolerances can be adjusted or compensated for. So the problem is that if you want to produce high quality lenses which will last for decades, can be serviced and realigned and which will deliver high quality imagery then it is going to be more expensive to produce them. Any problems will show up where you might expect - at full aperture - and this is exactly what I found. Stopped down many lenses are now on a par and if you never anticipate using a lens wide-open then they are fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pgk said:

The problems with making really good lenses (I am told by a lens designer friend) is that they need highly exacting tolerances and  assembly and testing through the assembly process. Both are time consuming and consequently expensive. And the first requires careful and exacting machining. The second requires that any deviations from acceptably and tight tolerances can be adjusted or compensated for. So the problem is that if you want to produce high quality lenses which will last for decades, can be serviced and realigned and which will deliver high quality imagery then it is going to be more expensive to produce them. Any problems will show up where you might expect - at full aperture - and this is exactly what I found. Stopped down many lenses are now on a par and if you never anticipate using a lens wide-open then they are fine.

My M9 used to get off focus once every couple of years.  Some peoblems are actually with the Leica lens.That tells you how difficult it is. 

The good side on 7artisans or TTartisan is they are user calibratible. Nevertheless it is annoying if it is off just out of the box. I think this is oart of the contribution to the price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just posted this picture in another thread talking about favorite f/stops, but I really like the cinematic look of this image, and I want to post it here too. When it belongs 🤣

A beautiful rendering and an adorable flare 😎

M10 + TT 35/1.4

 f/4 at MFD

 

 

 

Edited by Dennis
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

7Artisans 28mm f1.4, Leica MP-240

Shot wide open and a bit overexposed since I didn't have an ND filter with me. Shot in RAW, so I could bring it down but I still couldn't tame the highlights on her nose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

7Artisans 50mm f1.1, Leica M8.2

Shot wide open. One of the worst of the recent Chinese lenses IMHO, and I seldom use it. I consider it mostly a novelty lens.

Edited by 84bravo
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 84bravo said:

7Artisans 28mm f1.4, Leica MP-240

Shot wide open and a bit overexposed since I didn't have an ND filter with me. Shot in RAW, so I could bring it down but I still couldn't tame the highlights on her nose.

Any info how this lens performs on Leica SL? I'm interested because Cron 28 v1 exhibit massive corner softness when mounted on SL 601.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cobram said:

Any info how this lens performs on Leica SL? I'm interested because Cron 28 v1 exhibit massive corner softness when mounted on SL 601.

I don't have an SL, so I don't know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Using an M lens, any M lens on an L mount, just requires an M to L adapter. One plus with the Chinese lenses on an L is you don't have to adjust them to the rangefinder. They will be manual with focus and fstops like any M lens on an L camera. I have bought 2 Chinese lenses for my CL, a 55 f1.4 which is a good focal length on a CL 85mm or so, and the 35 f1.4 which I tought I should have but I just don't use 50mm lenses or equivalents that much on any camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

M10 + TT 35/1.4

From the window of my car, while my wife is driving 🙂  (there is always a chance to shoot). Wide open at large distance/infinity. Love the rendering, not as sharp, to make more cinematic the mood. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/10/2021 at 4:56 PM, budjames said:

My opinion is that having a Leica M or SL and using Chinese lenses (patent trade mark ripoffs) defeats the purpose of shooting Leica. If it's a cost thing, then you should consider a different, but also excellent, brand like Fuji-X. This is what I shot before fulfilling a lifelong desire to own a Leica M. Fuji-X is the brand that still recommend to friends and family looking to upgrade their gear.

For me, if a bought a non-Leica lens to use on my M10, it would bug me that I really wanted a Leica lens. I would eventually buy the Leica lens and in the end, spend more money than just buying the Leica lens in the first place.

Buy used if you can't afford new. There are a lot of good Leica glass out there in the used marketplace. For me, buy once, cry once applies to my philosophy for my Leica system.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Disagree. I use lots of Leica lenses along with my 7Artisans and Zeiss and Voigtlander. I love shooting them all. They all have different fingerprints. Some perfect, some imperfect. It’s not always about cost. 

Edited by SiOnara
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 11:21 AM, Cobram said:

how are 7Artisan 28 or TTartisan 21 working on SL bodies?

I’m using the 7Artisans 28mm 1.4 on my SL2. Works well. Only lens I have issues with is the 7Artisans 50mm 1.1. The close focus touches the inside of the camera housing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...