SHERRY KRAUTER : A WORLD-CLASS LEICA MASTER TECHNICIAN

nwphil

Sherry is amazing! In the 90's I sent one of my M5's to Sherry that had been stolen and smashed on rocks. The 21mm finder was chrushed and could not be saved. I thought the camera body was beyond repair. I called Sherry on the phone - she said send it - a few weeks later it came back. I used that body for another couple of years. 

Sherry is amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I needed a CLA on an M3 before going on a trip that was two weeks away when I called Sherry in 2015.  She said she'd try to turn it around but just to make sure I had a Leica she insisted on sending me an M5.  I said her offer is generous but not necessary and the M5 arrived three day's later.  Now I had never done business with her before and she didn't know me from Adam, but she sent her M5 and asked for no deposit.  I used it on the trip but was afraid I'd drop or scratch it so I did not shoot a full roll, but I loved the Match-Stick metering in the viewfinder.  Reminded me of my OM-2 in manual mode.  

It's interesting the article mentions her affinity to M5s.  

I returned the M5 as soon as I returned from the trip and the M3 arrived a week later.  It is of course smooth as butter and solid like a rock.  I kept the invoice for the CLA in case I wanted to sell the M3.  I'll have to make sure I put it someplace secure for history's sake. Oh, and the wax seal has her "K" instead of the Leica L.  

Sherry has worked on two of my film M cameras - my 2003 MP and my M4-P, which she CLAed and upgraded by installing an MP viewfinder.

She got both my cameras repaired in a decent time frame and at a reasonable cost, both times.   I would highly recommend her services - she has literally a lifetime of experience in working on film M cameras and M lenses.

The MP is no longer with me but the M4-P is.  I will never let that one go - it reminds me of my conversations with Sherry and the information I learned about M cameras in talking with her. 

Edited by Herr Barnack