M 10 R image thread

dkmoore

Taken with my 21 lux at Black Canyon near Montrose CO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Mustard green season, Sonoma County. Leica M10R with 50 M Summilux.

• Like 5

On 7/24/2020 at 10:57 PM, brandnew2 said:

I received my M10-R on Wednesday and finally got to take it out for a spin tonight! I'm coming from an M10-P, and I'm still super impressed. The fears of a 40MP rangefinder being difficult/impossible were focus were far overblown - I found no difference in practice. Also, the fears that the jump to 40mp would compromise low light performance were also unfounded; I found low light/high ISO performance to be as good or better as in the M10-P. 

One thing I found to be interesting was that the auto-ISO metering seemed to be more conservative on the M10-R than the M10-P (I think I also read this in one of the reviews). I found my M10-P often required -.3 or -.7 exposure comp when using auto ISO (especially in challenging/high contrast lighting conditions) or else it would be liable to blow highlights. On the M10-R, I found I could run without any exposure comp. adjustments and the camera's meter would mostly get it spot on. 

Here's a small album of pictures from tonight - all shot with a 50APO, most wide open or close to it. Very quick edits in LR. 

https://waitlisted.net/m10r-test-shots

Nice, definitely low light photographs.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, yggdra.omega said:

Thank you for the insight! One other reason I’m drawn to the Summilux over the SEM other than the speed, is the strange HDR-like feel in the shots I get straight out of camera.

Im not an experienced enough a photographer to determine if it is the specific lighting that is causing the look or what, but  have you seen the 21SEM give this same sort of feel in your images as attached in this post, or my posts on the prior page in this thread?

I appreciate your time.

I think “the look” might be more a function of the camera than the lens. Here is a photo I took with the 50mm f/2 APO. I will post a second reply with a photo up stream of the same area taken with the 28mm f/1.4 about 30 minutes earlier.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Wandering Photographer said:

I think “the look” might be more a function of the camera than the lens. Here is a photo I took with the 50mm f/2 APO. I will post a second reply with a photo up stream of the same area taken with the 28mm f/1.4 about 30 minutes earlier.

Here is the image taken with the 28mm f/1.4

Edited by Wandering Photographer
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 1:04 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

Gave the M18 SEM a try (using VF 020 to frame things, rangefinder to focus).  My initial ideas was to mimic the 24x66 frame of an XPan by cropping the frame to 2000x5500 pixels, but there is too much interesting stuff above and below that strip.

V1001410 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

It would be nice to have a digital XPan. I still occasionally buy fine grain film and use my XPan, but scanning the negatives is such a time consuming process. Because I use slow film, I almost always shoot it with a tripod. An 80 MegPixel XPan that used the original lenses would be super. It would make hand holding it practical.

On 8/6/2020 at 1:30 PM, John Miranda said:

Sunset on the Pacific Ocean, with light overhead fog with Leica 21mm f3.4.  

Shooting in RAW, this camera's ability to deal with highlights (in particular) and pull shadows is beyond what I have been able to do before.  I did use a 2 stop graduated neutral density filter, but having used the same filter on an M10 or my Nikon D850, I could hot have pulled the sky back as much without affecting the region surrounding the sun.  

This was taken at 1/90th, f 6.8, ISO 2500, hand held.  It was nice to be free of a tripod and still achieve high resolution, clean output.  I'm sure with a tripod things can be improved at lower ISO's, but it is a joy to approach a landscape scene with 1 small camera, 1 small lens, 1 filter and just focus on the photography.

How do you support the graduated filter. I’ve used them with my SLR and a mount, but adjust the height of the edge by looking through the view finder. Do you use the VisoFlex finder to adjust the height of the grad filter? I would think the grad frame would block the viewfinder windows.

Captured sun star with my M10-P Safari and my Summilux 50mm f/1,4 ASPH. during a dog walk.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Wandering Photographer said:

How do you support the graduated filter. I’ve used them with my SLR and a mount, but adjust the height of the edge by looking through the view finder. Do you use the VisoFlex finder to adjust the height of the grad filter? I would think the grad frame would block the viewfinder windows.

Hi, for the image above I used the LCD, but since have gotten the VisoFlex, which makes it easier.  

On 2/26/2021 at 12:23 AM, Wandering Photographer said:

I think “the look” might be more a function of the camera than the lens.

Respectfully have to disagree. The breadth of drawing styles offered across 8 decades of M lens production is, at least from some, the greatest attraction of the system to begin with. There's a reason other than price and profit motive as to why Leica currently produces five 50mm lenses, why they're about to add a 35mm APO to the line, have reincarnated a series of vintage designs, etc.  At smaller aperture, in shadow, not to mention 8 bit jpegs crushed to web resolution, the differences might be more subtle, but even in your example, ignoring what I take to be differing focus points and apertures, my eye notes visible differences in contrast.  

• Like 1

Blue in Green on a sunday morning, Leica M10-R, Summicron 50 F/2

• Like 12

28mm Elmarit v3 pre-ASPH

• Like 9

• Like 6