M 10 R image thread

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Still amazed at how sharp the 21SEM is

M10R+21mm SEM

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

100% crop

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, scroy said:

Still amazed at how sharp the 21SEM is

M10R+21mm SEM

100% crop

I thought I recognized that place! You take a shot right after you picked up that lens in Boston? 

Also, how would you rate that 21 SEM overall? I have the 21lux and it’s softness and fuzziness wide open kind of irks me!

5 minutes ago, yggdra.omega said:

I thought I recognized that place! You take a shot right after you picked up that lens in Boston? 

Also, how would you rate that 21 SEM overall? I have the 21lux and it’s softness and fuzziness wide open kind of irks me!

I did take the picture after leaving the Boston Leica store 😎, but I had purchased the lens earlier on a recommendation.

The 21SEM is a really sharp light weight lens and takes more normal filters :) . I had shot with the 21mm Summilux for a bit, I loved it for the draw - wide open at minimum focusing distance, but its definitely not as sharp as the Super-Elmar.

Just now, scroy said:

I did take the picture after leaving the Boston Leica store 😎, but I had purchased the lens earlier on a recommendation.

The 21SEM is a really sharp light weight lens and takes more normal filters :) . I had shot with the 21mm Summilux for a bit, I loved it for the draw - wide open at minimum focusing distance, but its definitely not as sharp as the Super-Elmar.

Thank you for the insight! One other reason I’m drawn to the Summilux over the SEM other than the speed, is the strange HDR-like feel in the shots I get straight out of camera.

Im not an experienced enough a photographer to determine if it is the specific lighting that is causing the look or what, but  have you seen the 21SEM give this same sort of feel in your images as attached in this post, or my posts on the prior page in this thread?

I appreciate your time.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, yggdra.omega said:

Thank you for the insight! One other reason I’m drawn to the Summilux over the SEM other than the speed, is the strange HDR-like feel in the shots I get straight out of camera.

Im not an experienced enough a photographer to determine if it is the specific lighting that is causing the look or what, but  have you seen the 21SEM give this same sort of feel in your images as attached in this post, or my posts on the prior page in this thread?

I appreciate your time.

Beautiful image! 

I was initially drawn to the 21 Lux for the same reasons - it made the picnic below look almost like  French impressionist art.  It gives a beautiful rendering, but in the end, I wasn't using it enough.  I tend to use the 21SEM much more, but its far more clinical.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, scroy said:

Beautiful image! 

I was initially drawn to the 21 Lux for the same reasons - it made the picnic below look almost like  French impressionist art.  It gives a beautiful rendering, but in the end, I wasn't using it enough.  I tend to use the 21SEM much more, but its far more clinical.

I see, thank you again for your response! I agree with your opinion on that shot, and it is an amazing photograph as well!

I was toying with the idea of replacing the lux with the SEM, but if the rendering is so different then it sounds like I should consider adding the SEM to my kit instead of having it replace a lens. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

WATE@16mm

• Like 15

Joshua Tree last week, taken with a 21mm Summilux which is apparently my most used lens.

• Like 14

12 hours ago, yggdra.omega said:

I was toying with the idea of replacing the lux with the SEM, but if the rendering is so different then it sounds like I should consider adding the SEM to my kit instead of having it replace a lens. 

The lenses have different rendering, the sem will have a bite that the lux can’t deliver.  However, the sem can’t shoot in low light as well. At similar apertures the lux could be close enough that it would be difficult to tell apart and post processing could make them almost equivalent. Of course these are broad generalities and specific situations may see differences worthy of having both. Personally, I love the lux lenses for their duel personality, a softer wide open rendering and sharp stopped down.  The same can be said of older lenses, Mandler designs, less contrast, smoother, less bite, once stopped down they’re similar to the new Karbe lenses.  Again, generalities.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't done much work with the 21 SEM since acquiring the WATE, which I find a little more practical as a part of my standard out and about three lens kit. The SEM, IMO, is certainly one of the more ruthless lenses in the system.  I found it to be somewhat of an acquired taste, but perseverance turned it into a favorite. Once you grasp its ethic it is one of the jewels of the family.  In high contrast situations it can be a little over crispy, but in flat light it comes into its own. The resampling by the site doesn't do it full justice, but perhaps this example conveys something of its character on the 10R... 

• Like 5

Another example... 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

The SEM, IMO, is certainly one of the more ruthless lenses in the system.

With 41mp and state of the art (mtf) lenses, my goal has quickly changed from chasing resolution to taming contrast, not always an easy task on bright sunny days we suffer 🙂 in California.  

25 minutes ago, darylgo said:

With 41mp and state of the art (mtf) lenses, my goal has quickly changed from chasing resolution to taming contrast... 

Agreed. I do feel compelled to mention the same sort of difficulties can occur with this lens on the M10 as well... but only once or twice a year here in New England.  Not a problem at all if you're in Rhode Island (where the two shots I posted where taken). 😉  

3 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

Agreed. I do feel compelled to mention the same sort of difficulties can occur with this lens on the M10 as well... but only once or twice a year here in New England.  Not a problem at all if you're in Rhode Island (where the two shots I posted where taken). 😉  

Thought I recognized that: so very close to my home I expect. If that's the abandoned campus in Barrington, you could have dropped by. 🙂

Edited by bags27

1 hour ago, Tailwagger said:

Yes, same issues with M10 and M240 kinda, Leica M pixels punch way above the numbers.  The M10-R has remarkable highlight recovery, it's astonishing to pull exposure or highlight sliders and see gradations within the highlights, I hope they're able to continue improving the dynamic range.  Perhaps we could trade sunny/cloudy days, although I haven't had much luck at day-trading in the past :-). 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

Thought I recognized that: so very close to my home I expect. If that's the abandoned campus in Barrington, you could have dropped by. 🙂

I'd say that I was no where near you, but given we're talking RI, it's hard to counter the assertion that pretty much everything is near everything else. Cumberland, in this case. No visits until you get you shots, dog. 😉

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

I'd say that I was no where near you, but given we're talking RI, it's hard to counter the assertion that pretty much everything is near everything else. Cumberland, in this case. No visits until you get you shots, dog. 😉

Promise I don't have fleas. About other stuff, no guarantees yet.

• Haha 2

On 2/11/2021 at 7:00 PM, Tp2000 said:

Morning frosty walks with the new M10R - finding the new sensor giving me a similar "wow" feeling as when I got the m10m.

M10R, 28mm Summilux, F4, 1/1000, ISO100. Finished in Silver Efex (as always, click in to see the less compressed version).

Bushy Park? I love this place.

My vintage Summicron M 90 Leitz 26 year old lens made the image