Remote Control S2

AHPZuazua

47 minutes ago, AHPZuazua said:

I have an S2. Just bought a remote. I connected it. It is not working. Is there something else I need to do. Is the problem the remote or my camera?

There are two types of remote cable release cables for the S: You need the one with red LEMO plug https://leicastoremiami.com/products/leica-s-camera-remote-release-cable-for-s2-and-s2-p?variant=345677237 (the blue LEMO plug works for S006, S007, S3). If you have the red plug, things should work. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, helged said:

There are two types of remote cable release cables for the S: You need the one with red LEMO plug https://leicastoremiami.com/products/leica-s-camera-remote-release-cable-for-s2-and-s2-p?variant=345677237 (the blue LEMO plug works for S006, S007, S3). If you have the red plug, things should work. 

Thank youHelged

I contacted the seller. They are sending me another one since I dont have a second S2 to test the port. I have it plugged into the bottom, red, 5 prong area. It doesnt work. Wiating for the replacement, or worst care, send to Leica for repair. 

42 minutes ago, AHPZuazua said:

Thank youHelged

I contacted the seller. They are sending me another one since I dont have a second S2 to test the port. I have it plugged into the bottom, red, 5 prong area. It doesnt work. Wiating for the replacement, or worst care, send to Leica for repair. 

Ok, in this case either the cable or the LEMO-contact on your body is off. I have read that the wires in the LEMO-plug can be a little too loosely fixed/soldered, so the problem might (hopefully) be the plug. With proper soldering, the LEMO-plug is very strong.

On 11/5/2020 at 12:46 PM, AHPZuazua said:

Thank youHelged

According to Leica S2 instructions, the remote control socket is the upper one, not the lower one (I do not own S2)?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 11/7/2020 at 2:14 PM, SrMi said:

According to Leica S2 instructions, the remote control socket is the upper one, not the lower one (I do not own S2)?

Looking at the camera. It is the bottom Red color one. After two connectors from the same vendor. It did not work. Someone sent me a video showing me that the connectors should twist. Mine did not. Anyone got the S2 red cable and does it twist to lock? 

Edited by AHPZuazua

• 5 months later...
On 9/11/2020 at 5:47 PM, dllewellyn said:

I have been modifying cameras for over 25 years.  Among the many cameras I own are three M9's and an S2.  One of the M9's I bought had really bad sensor corrosion, and I decided to take it apart to see what was going on.  What I found was:

- The IR Cut Filter (ICF) also functions as sensor coverglass and is epoxied to the sensor itself making removal rather difficult.  The only sensors I have seen with the ICF epoxied on are some Kodak medium format backs.  Kodak made the sensors for the M9 (and then Kodak sold to Truesense and that got sold to On Semiconductor).

- The active sensor part isn't the problem.  The problem is the ICF.  It looked to me like the glass had oxidized (not quite the same as corroded).

- Certain sorts of filter glass are susceptible to oxidization.  Pretty much all the Schott BG and UG types.

- In every camera I have taken apart (I have taken apart thousands), I have never seen an oxidized ICF because they all have vapor deposition metallic coatings on them which seals the glass.  Oxidization is related to time, temperature, humidity, ozone and even the particular glass melt.

- Next I removed the coverglass (again, rather difficult to do without damaging the sensor) and measured the ICF with a spectrometer.  What I found was that Kodak used *uncoated* BG type glass for the ICF.  Somebody really screwed up somewhere.

- After, I decided to remove the Color Filter Array (CFA) and turn it into a monochrome sensor

- Lastly, I installed a new ICF coverglass

- On Semi exited the CCD business so there will be no more new M9 sensors made.  That's why Leica can't repair M9 cameras with sensor problems anymore.

Without trying to be self promoting, if someone needs their M9 sensor fixed and/or converted to monochrome, I know how.

On 11/7/2020 at 2:14 PM, SrMi said:

Its the bottom