My brand new TT Artisan 35/1.4 | Le Freak c'est chic

Dennis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone.

I'm so happy 🙂 Finally, my 🙌 TT Artisan 35/1.4 has arrived on Friday. And I love it. Everything started in this thread I made, asking for recommendations for a new fast partner for my ZM 35/2.8 Biogon.

Here a micro resume: my decision a few weeks ago was to get a brand new CV 35/1.2 V3 ... But because of the current pandemic situation, I decided not to travel. Shopping online was not the case because the import taxes are super high in Mexico, so the best option was to wait. Eventually, I figured out how to buy a TT lens on Amazon Prime Mexico for the same BH price ($450usd) plus $38usd for shipping and taxes wow. Not sure why it happened in this way, but it did.

The lens arrived with a slight back-focus issue, but I already calibrated with the help and expertise of a kind member with the screwdriver included in the box. It works fully 100% now. I can't believe how a cheap Chinese lens can make me so happy. To be honest with you, I was expecting, somehow, a worst lens. But this was a big happy surprise. That's why I'm writing this post. Once I am lucky enough to try and/or own a 35 Summicron or Summilux (FLE or not), I will tell you the differences and what I like about them. I don't have much experience yet, and I'm not a pixel peeper. 

But for $450 only, a 35/1.4 that works perfectly with my M10? What I need more? For me, it has been a real bargain: I can feel now what it looks like to shoot w/ a focus tab; there is a before and after lol. I had for a few weeks a 28 Elmarit, but I really was a newbie, and I didn't appreciate the focus tab enough. Much better now when working with zone system, oh yeah! The lens hood is beautiful, small enough to cover the glass but not intrusive. Plus, the small window in the up-left corner it's very helpful for framing. The viewfinder blockage is very acceptable for me; it has never been a problem. I don't see it with the right eye (inside the OVF). I see it with the left eye. 😉😜

Focus is very smooth, and it has a perfect throw. Aesthetics is beautiful, ergonomic is super fine. Lens cap ... 🙌

IQ ... What can I say? You tell me. I don't do tests, detailed reviews with comparisons. I also don't know how to do that. But I do love very much to shoot. And to shoot with the TT 35/1.4 is a joy. The only cons I founded so far are weight. I don't know nobody so masochist that I prefer to carry more weight just for the sake of it. 100 or 200gr less can make the difference, I know. But If I'm happy with absolutely the rest, I can live with that. 
I didn't have time to shoot with the lens properly; I mean assignment, work or calm street photography, etc. I just took photos at home at my dog, of course 🙂 And on the way to a work meeting, shooting with zone focusing from the window of my car. Once I will use it in different/demanding conditions, I'll let you know if I find some issues or concerns.

So far, here a few samples at f/1.4.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

and here a few from my car window at f/8

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Prosophos said:

Wow, the rendering on that image above is wonderful

Thank you, glad you like it. How do you read this rendering? Which attribute of it fo you like it? Just curious about how it can be a favorite rendering look 

Looks good. No compromises in quality a..k.a. the glow @f1.4 like with my classic :) Nokton 35 1.4 II. I also have seen 28 1.4 examples this morning. It looks like thier f1.4 lenses are good. Just too bulky for my preference. Every time i was getting bulky lens on M, it ended up on sale. Mostly due to thier visibility in VF if with hood.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Looks good. No compromises in quality a..k.a. the glow @f1.4

It depends. 50% of the shots are before calibration.. I saw pretty sharp images wide open now. I guess sometimes is about inaccurate focus. But of course there is difference between 1.4 and 2.8 ... But hey, for less than $500, oh yeah!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, Dennis said:

It depends. 50% of the shots are before calibration.. I saw pretty sharp images wide open now. I guess sometimes is about inaccurate focus. But of course there is difference between 1.4 and 2.8 ... But hey, for less than $500, oh yeah!

Does M10 have LV? If so, it will show how @1.4 even slight move is changing focus placement at close distances like in first post images with dog. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Does M10 have LV? If so, it will show how @1.4 even slight move is changing focus placement at close distances like in first post images with dog. 

Yes, it has LV. I tried and it's sharp enough for me. But I do prefer 100 times OVF, it's where the fun is ... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Does M10 have LV?

at f/1.4 with LV

• Like 3

Congratulations to your new lens! I also have it (as you know) and most of my recent Instagram pictures are shot with it. The rendering appeals to me, too! It is a good mix between classic and modern lenses. It‘s also sharp and clean wide open. I previously has a Summilux ASPH pre-FLE and it draws very similar. The only two downsides are the weight and bokeh at long distances (after 5m or so). The size is not a downside as Summilux and Zeiss Distagon are also of similar size.

And btw I wish I could calibrate the Leica lenses myself, too. This is a big selling point to me as I’d otherwise need to send the camera + lens to Wetzlar and wait for 3-4 weeks at least.

• Like 1

When I got mine I was looking for a Summilux, but I'd read the few reviews of the TTartisans 35mm f/1.4 then available and got the impression it was good so decided to take the risk. However I was braced and ready to discover it was all hype. But it has turned out to be a terrific lens, and jaw dropping considering the price. I love the rendering and colour, the detail is crisp, it feels nice to use, and there is nothing that would make me wish I'd bought a Leica lens. I must have been lucky because mine was spot on straight out of the box and I didn't need the screwdriver. A very petty downside is that it's another filter size to carry.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rinatus said:

Congratulations to your new lens! I also have it (as you know) and most of my recent Instagram pictures are shot with it. The rendering appeals to me, too! It is a good mix between classic and modern lenses. It‘s also sharp and clean wide open.

Thank you! Yes, the rendering is better than I was expecting

9 hours ago, cboy said:

Nice images op! Is is that sooc?

Nope, they are slightly edited in C1

9 hours ago, cboy said:

Let us know when the honeymoon phase is over haha

I'm always in honeymoon. Honeymoon is the first trip of many of a marriage 🙂 I like this first trip and looking forward to the next ones to come. I feel that a few people here disagree with a purchase of a chinese (called also charlatan) lens for a Leica M. But it's ok. It doesn't matter the tool, what is matter is the photos and enjoy the process.

9 hours ago, cboy said:

Seems you made a good purchase!

Yes I guess so. I need more time to try it in more challenging conditions, and then I'll confirm the good purchase. Or find the cons. Meanwhile, enjoy my honeymoon!

7 hours ago, 250swb said:

When I got mine I was looking for a Summilux, but I'd read the few reviews of the TTartisans 35mm f/1.4 then available and got the impression it was good so decided to take the risk. However I was braced and ready to discover it was all hype. But it has turned out to be a terrific lens, and jaw dropping considering the price. I love the rendering and colour, the detail is crisp, it feels nice to use, and there is nothing that would make me wish I'd bought a Leica lens.

+1

Super agree. Glad to know you love it.

Hey @Dennis congrats on the lens, great that you have found so much joy in it.

I was curious to know when you were deciding on the lens, whether you also looked into the 7artisans 35mm 1.4 ? I am trying to find more articles / analysis on the differences, I have only stumbled upon one resource (Erick Photo) so far.

Thanks.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Raymondl said:

Hey @Dennis congrats on the lens, great that you have found so much joy in it.

I was curious to know when you were deciding on the lens, whether you also looked into the 7artisans 35mm 1.4 ? I am trying to find more articles / analysis on the differences, I have only stumbled upon one resource (Erick Photo) so far.

PhillipReeve: 7ArtisansTTArtisan

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Raymondl said:

I was curious to know when you were deciding on the lens, whether you also looked into the 7artisans 35mm 1.4 ?

I just googled for the TT reviews and general opinions to know if the lens was terrible or "just fair." And I heard great things about it. But not so much about 7Artisan. And because the TT price was perfect for shipping with almost no taxes, I did it. I'm new in the Leica world (only two and a half years) with minimal access to RF system items/accessories/lenses. So for me, this lens was a perfect way and commitment to approach many new RF theme: focus tab, 1.4, the lens hood type, ergonomics with big lenses. 
And finally, aesthetics is an attempt to emulate the 35FLE, which I really like. The FLE is better, cause is the original 😜 The material, the glasses, and everything is better. But I'm comfortable with a 90% of the TT. Do I need that extra 10% to take photos, or appreciate them? Nope. Do I suffer for the loss? Nope. Will I buy one day an expensive superb 35mm? Maybe ... Meanwhile, I shoot with my Zeiss Biogon 2.8 when I don't need speed. Or when I want a lighter lens to carry for a lot of time. And when I need clinical sharpening. And with the TT when I need speed, focus tab, or just because I prefer the rendering. It sounds awesome.

Finally, IMHO, between the 7art and the TT Art, except the performance, which I don't know, I prefer much more the TT aesthetics. I already custom my lens with black tape, and it looks beautiful 😬

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

Thank you 🙏 When do you get yours?

@Dennis now that I understand the differences. I think TT artisans is probably a better fit.

Not intending to derail the thread... But I only discovered a ”new” company in China called ”Light Lens Lab”, they have started developing prototypes/small batches ”replica” 8 element sunmicron 35/2.. I guess the patents have expired https://quanj.tistory.com/832 ( in Korean, but there is an excerpt from a magazine article near the end)  so ill keep my eye on that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raymondl said:

@Dennis now that I understand the differences. I think TT artisans is probably a better fit.

Not intending to derail the thread... But I only discovered a ”new” company in China called ”Light Lens Lab”, they have started developing prototypes/small batches ”replica” 8 element sunmicron 35/2.. I guess the patents have expired https://quanj.tistory.com/832 ( in Korean, but there is an excerpt from a magazine article near the end)  so ill keep my eye on that. 

There is an article about this lens in Viewfinder Vol 52 issue 3,

• Like 2