Zeiss 35mm viewfinder blocking 0.85 viewfinder

JapanFoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I am considering buying a Zeiss 35mm lens for my M6 with 0.85 viewfinder.

I can not really decide between the 2.8 and the 2.0 version. I would like to have the extra stop of light – but not sure if this would block the view- or rangefinder window.

The little bit more money isn’t the problem – has anyone an Idea of the blockage with and without lens hood ?

Thanks for thoughts and advice

Thomas

25 minutes ago, JapanFoto said:

Zeiss 35mm

I think it will depend a lot on what hood you use.

Unless you really need f2, the 2.8 is stellar, 'sharper' than the f2 and no focus shift. I have a 'cheapo' Ebay ventilated hood with the vent in the right place (adjust with a wrap of thread) and it's fine on .72.

I got the ZM 35 2.0 to replace the 35 Summicron I’ve used since 1970 or so. The Zeiss performed better, and I had no complaints except for the size. It isn’t huge by any stretch, and was very usable with my .72 M VFs, but the tiny v2 Summicron had spoiled me for small lenses.

I switched from the Zeiss to a used Summarit 35 f2.5, which has been my main lens on the M10. On my M9 I use the Voigtlander 35 Nokton f1.4 for its speed. I switched from the original ver.I to the ver. II, which pretty well eliminated the focus shift issue (when stopping down). This is the smallest 35 f1.4 in current production. While not as critically sharp, it is very well made and I like its rendering.

I would agree that the Zeiss 35 2.8 is an excellent small lens. I saw negligible practical difference in the images from the ZM f2.0, so I went with it for the extra stop in speed for my camera at the time.

Edited by TomB_tx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 2/35 Biogon is about the same size as a 50mm Summicron so if you have that lens or have ever used it, you should have a good idea. The Biogon doesn’t really need to be used with a lens hood just so you know; the t* coating is extremely effective. The lens hood will cut into the VF but I never thought it to be distracting. My anecdote is from use on a .72 and .68 or .70 (whatever the M9 is)

Hi Thomas, I have the ZM 35/2 with the Zeiss hood and it doesn’t bother me much using the M10’s viewfinder. It’s even more unnoticeable without the hood. I actually prefer this lens over the Summicron 35 ASPH that I just sold since it’s lighter and I like the ergonomics. See pics below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JoeLeica

• 2 months later...