A little love for the Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4 (post your images).

Prosophos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4 was my first M-mount lens, purchased back in 2008 along with a Leica M8. 

Through the years, I've been hot and cold on it, for all of the well-documented reasons people either like it or dislike it.  And though I've experimented with some of Leica's finest glass, I always seem to find a path back to it.  If I had to give a reason why that is, I would say it's because of its versatility: it's small, it's light, it's fast (f/1.4), its focal length sits right between my most used focal lengths (35mm and 50mm), it has virtually zero distortion, and it's sharp enough (for me).  The bokeh can be harsh, but the optics that conspire to cause this can also impart a desirable character to images created with it.

I've used this lens with the aforementioned M8, but I've also used it on a Leica M9, M240, M9Mono, and M10.  I've used it on film M bodes as well, and I've even used it on a Nikon Z7 via an adapter.

Here are some examples:

Leica M8:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M9:

Leica M2/M3/MP:

And here is an example on the Nikon Z7:

Please feel free to share your images.

Thank you,

―Peter.

• Like 14

M4P with 40mm Voigtlander at f2.8

Darkroom print.

• Like 1

And another.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2020 at 10:34 AM, rivi1969 said:

Peter... Nothing to share, just to congratulate you for these wonderful images! Many complaints about this lens and I think I has a very special character. Love it 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Wow, thank you!  🙏🏻 That's so very kind of you.

My hope was to encourage others to share; hopefully that will happen in time.

―Peter.

My least used lens, put it on my M3 for a day, I hadn't noticed but it brought up the 35 framelines (yes an M3 long story)

M3 40 Nokton Portra 160

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

My least used lens, put it on my M3 for a day, I hadn't noticed but it brought up the 35 framelines (yes an M3 long story)

M3 40 Nokton Portra 160

Lovely image!

―Peter.

14 minutes ago, pippy said:

I think half of all the images I've ever posted here in the forum have been shot with this lens. I originally bought it to use with my M8.2 and, all these years later, it's still my #1 favourite without question.

Philip.

Would love to see some of your images, if possible.

―Peter.

• Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb pippy:

I think half of all the images I've ever posted here in the forum have been shot with this lens. I originally bought it to use with my M8.2 and, all these years later, it's still my #1 favourite without question.

Philip.

Bought mine with an M8 on the bay. I have a 1972 Summilux 35 and a collapsible 50 Summicron I use more. Though the images I have done with this lens seem very nice may have to come with me a little more.

On 11/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, Prosophos said:

Would love to see some of your images, if possible.

―Peter.

I don't often use it with the primary thought of showing off its inherently individual characteristics but, FWIW, here are three snapshots (and truly nothing more than snapshots!) from today's wander.

First is simply a general view when the lens is used as a general lens. Second shows that even with not-too-close subject matter some decent 3d pop can be achieved wide-open. Also the wonderful (IMO) natural vignetting which occurs when shot at f1.4. Third image has focus plane on spatula nearest lens. Everything else is left to drift o-o-f. Couple at top-left made this throwaway image (sort-of) work.

All images were shot on an M-D Typ-262 are pretty much sooc (apart from monochrome conversion);

Philip.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, pippy said:

I don't often use it with the primary thought of showing off its inherently individual characteristics but, FWIW, here are three snapshots (and truly nothing more than snapshots!) from today's wander.

First is simply a general view when the lens is used as a general lens. Second shows that even with not-too-close subject matter some decent 3d pop can be achieved wide-open. Also the wonderful (IMO) natural vignetting which occurs when shot at f1.4. Third image has focus plane on spatula nearest lens. Everything else is left to drift o-o-f. Couple at top-left made this throwaway image (sort-of) work.

All images were shot on an M-D Typ-262 are pretty much sooc (apart from monochrome conversion);

Philip.

Awesome Philip!

The 3D separation is actually quite good with this lens, especially on film, but I see it in your digital images as well.

―Peter.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Peter,

I couldn't agree more about this lens. Not super sharp, but the 40mm field of view makes a lot of sense as a walk around lens. I also love the compactness of it, and with the metal hood it looks really classic. 

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 6

3 hours ago, nodrog said:

Peter,

I couldn't agree more about this lens. Not super sharp, but the 40mm field of view makes a lot of sense as a walk around lens. I also love the compactness of it, and with the metal hood it looks really classic. 

Cheers,

Peter

Amazing!  A great representation of people and places.

―Peter.

I had to dig back a bit to 2016 when I owned this lens. I was torn between the 40/1.4 and the 35/1.4. After this trip, I sold the 40. 

I have no idea who the young lady in the foreground is, but she "made" the composition when she stepped into the frame.

M9 / Nokton 40/1.4 MC

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

M 240, VC 1,4/40 MC

• Like 2

A few very recent samples from Tokyo with the M10 and Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm f1.4

• Like 7

some great images

but gave me a surprise feeling at first, very weird, like the first time you drive on the other side of the road when in a foreign country it just feels strange and I think it’s because my brain is so accustomed to thinking 35 mm or 50 mm that this lens is somehow off-base with a 40 mm focal length. I’m sure I would get used to it but I just wasn’t expecting to have this feeling the first time looking at these images.