Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro

Ktsa5239

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just got my hands on the sigma 105mm f2.8 macro L mount! Managed to pick it up after work and took it out for a few test shots before the sun goes down.

This is my first macro lens experience so really excited ! Coming from m lenses it feels strange to get this close. I find that the auto focus hunts around alot moving from one end the other before locking on. I've tried playing with the different settings on the lens but the focus is still really slow. Maybe its a firmware issue? 

It renders pretty nicely though, will try it out abit more tomorrow.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

The bokeh is nice and smooth, there a painting feel to it.

• Like 9

• Like 6

Just ordered one. I try to go with native glass whenever I can, but since there are no native L Mount Macro options, and the price was right, I decided to go for it.

I don't have any legacy R lenses and the R to L converter (the Leica one) is quite expensive. If I had the funds or ambition, I would explore the adapted Leica options, but didn't think that there was a need. Besides, the reviews were overall excellent for this lens.

The only concern is the "Low Battery Warning" message that many have reported with non-Leica lenses.

-Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/30/2020 at 6:26 AM, Ktsa5239 said:

I've just got my hands on the sigma 105mm f2.8 macro L mount! Managed to pick it up after work and took it out for a few test shots before the sun goes down.

This is my first macro lens experience so really excited ! Coming from m lenses it feels strange to get this close. I find that the auto focus hunts around alot moving from one end the other before locking on. I've tried playing with the different settings on the lens but the focus is still really slow. Maybe its a firmware issue? 

It renders pretty nicely though, will try it out abit more tomorrow.

FWIW I've never owned a macro lens that I would consider a quick focusing lens... I think this is primarily due to the way macro lenses are made. I think the focusing gears are much more precise than non-macro lenses so focusing will almost always be slower when compared to a non-macro lens.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2020 at 10:26 AM, Ktsa5239 said:

I find that the auto focus hunts around alot moving from one end the other before locking on. I've tried playing with the different settings on the lens but the focus is still really slow.

Owing to the unavoidably thin depth of field when you're shooting so close to the subject for macro you're probably going to have more success focussing manually than using autofocus.

Pete.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/25/2020 at 8:52 AM, 60HzShuffle said:

I am upset because I bought the Sigma 70mm macro a month before this was announced, but I am still happy with the 70.  I'm not a big macro shooter anyway....

Recently been looking at both the 70 and the 105. Haven't made a decision yet. Do you think you would have been happier with the 105? Do you wish you had gotten it instead, and if so, for macro or for its non-macro usage? Just curious. I've never owned a macro lens, and the specs say that both the 105 and the 70 offer 1:1 reproduction. Though I understand the difference between 70mm and 105 in terms of non-macro shooting, if both offer 1:1 in macro, does that mean you can get physically closer with the 70 than the 105? 

9 hours ago, leicameech said:

Recently been looking at both the 70 and the 105. Haven't made a decision yet. Do you think you would have been happier with the 105? Do you wish you had gotten it instead, and if so, for macro or for its non-macro usage? Just curious. I've never owned a macro lens, and the specs say that both the 105 and the 70 offer 1:1 reproduction. Though I understand the difference between 70mm and 105 in terms of non-macro shooting, if both offer 1:1 in macro, does that mean you can get physically closer with the 70 than the 105? 

105 mm will mean that you can stay further away from your subject and avoid disturbing it/them.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

The 55-70mm macros are better for copy work, while the 105mm is better for more natural subjects, although, as others have said, the narrow depth of field in macro means that you will probably benefit from a rig that allows you to move the camera in small steps for focus stacking to get the most out of it.

• 3 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 4:03 AM, andben said:

Has anyone tried this lens on a Leica CL?

Not a CL but a TL2 (same sensor). 100% crop at ISO 500

• Like 8

105mm is awesome 

• Like 4

I recently took this lens to Costa Rica with the plan of using a tele extender and thus having both a 210 telephoto and a macro lens, with APSC to get added reach in a pinch. The tele extender part of the plan was not a great success because whenever I had it in on, I wish I had it off and vice versa. Lesson learned in overthinking!

However, I always wanted to try a dedicated macro lens and this one is a pleasure to use. I like the build quality. In my opinion it feels better in hand than the Sigma 24-70, which got pretty good feedback online, but for some reason just didn’t feel right to me, probably because I was working with a second hand copy and one that had been very vigorously used at that! The size and weight make a good pairing with the SL2S. You can cut down the focus hunting and seeking by using the switch on the barrel to limit focus range. I find the best way to focus is to set to autofocus to get in the general vicinity of focus, then switch to manual and do the fine tuning by moving slightly towards the subject or away. The focus ring is somewhat “linear” and soulless, and I wish it had something like a focus clutch seen on the Panasonic 24-70. I’m still finding my bearings around a dedicated macro lens. There are some forum members that are truly artists with the 105 and the 70 from Sigma, so check the image postings and message them with questions. I always find the people on this forum to be open and helpful when approached.

Sigma, if you are reading this, if there is a way to improve the feel of the focus by wire through a firmware update, that is probably my only issue. Granted, as an M user, I am spoiled in terms of tactile focus, but I know you can do it Sigma! The 45mm lens has a really good focus feel. I know that Leica has a firmware update for its own lenses that give you the ability to change the focus throw, is it possible to have the SL2S talk with a Sigma lens in the same way through firmware?

At any rate, I enjoy this lens! I used to only find myself “daydreaming” about using my 35 Lux M. Now I often find myself daydreaming about this lens too. 

Hope you enjoy it too!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought the 105mm a few weeks ago and tested it with still & video without any problems. Great quality and sharpness but not like my Leica glass with that certain look I'm used to. I use manual focus most of the time and was fooled when I opted to selected manual focus in the menu and couldn't, I had to physically select it on the lens. I forgot that this lens has options on the lens itself and this is really nice. 

Knowing how well Sigma is these days with quality and compatibility, I look forward to what else they come out with in the coming years. I may buy a zoom telephoto but also looking at Panasonic glass.

As sharp as anyone could need for macro on the SL2. Does hunt a bit in AF as others have said and manual focus is a work in progress for me but still enjoying the lens. Even used it as a short telephoto, e.g. dogs running at the beach, distant street, portrait etc.

• Like 1