touch up M10-P

geesbert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got my M10-P a couple of days ago, the vertical rangefinder alignment was quite off right out of the box, no problem, did that a couple of times in my 20 years of M photography, but although I was as careful as I could be I managed to scratch the black cover screw. What would you recommend to use to touch this up? In M6 days people recommended some kind of gun oil, is that still true?

Thanks

Stefan

Couple of thoughts:

• the best course of action, as was mentioned, strikes me as just asking for a new screw
  • assuming you live in the US, the gun finish product you mention is likely a Birchwood Casey offering but it's not gun oil.  they have several ranging from a touch up pen (which seems to basically be a black paint dispensing device allowing application to small areas) to a multi part metal blackening material.  for this application I suspect you will be disappointed with all of them.  also, you gotta pay for this stuff and they might give you a screw for free :)
  • in my personal experiments, a black Sharpie pen has a purple tinge
  • if I were going to go this route, I'd probably just remove all the finish on the screw head and spray paint it so it would be completely smooth.  probably won't be an exact match to the body though 
Edited by Good To Be Retired